School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Just a note: The 4/5 combo class was 31, not 34. Part of the equation for any class is the parent attitude that students absorb. A positive attitude and willingness to be a part of the solution instead of the problem is helpful.
July 20, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My family has been a part of the valley view elementary school community since 2008. There were some ups and downs but so happy we stuck with it. We have a great principal and wonderful caring teachers that work together so well plus an awesome group of parents in our parents club. Where many of our terrific families are transfer ins because they are choosing To be in the best school (in my opinion), I feel very blessed that I live just up the street.

Valley View is a great school! Thank goodness the brief era of poor administration is over! It was too bad we had a less-than-stellar principal in 2012-2014, and some of the reviews from that time reflect his leadership. Ms. Marinakis is great, and the high scores reflect her leadership. A lovely school with a vibrant parent community, Valley View is a great school once again -- a "gem" of WCCUSD.

This is a great school. I don't understand why people are writing bad reviews. I understand there might be some issues that need to be address, but overall the school is good and improving every day. We have the most wonderful first grade teacher. She is great and organized, her method of teaching is great. she encourage our children to do their best every day. The Valley View parent club is awesome, they brought back music to the school and recently the After School Enrichment Program (ASEP) allow students to have a variety of classes such as LEGO ROBOTICS, MAD SCIENCE, QUILTING, and HOMEWORK CLUB, . Valley View is a school that welcomes everyone no doubt. We are very happy to be part of this great community.

Valley View is a wonderful neighborhood school. Don't let the (needs-a-facelift) exterior fool you - the inside is full of energetic and dynamic teachers, caring staff members, and a community of families that support each other. The parents club is the backbone of the school, providing extracurricular activities for the students through the After School Enrichment Program, and financing classroom activities and programs that are not funded by the district. There is a very strong sense of community at Valley View that sets it apart from the other WCCUSD schools.

I love our school and I think you will too! Please come to our Incoming Kindergarten/New Family Tour on Thursday, January 15, 2015, 9:30 - 10:45 a.m. Come for a school tour and meet the dynamic group of teachers and parents who are building a great public school in El Sobrante. Learn all about our programs, and what sets us apart. Light refreshments will be served and children are welcome. RSVP at: valleyviewcommunity@gmail.com or call the school at 510-223-6363.

Our son is in Kindergarten, and we LOVE Valley View. His teacher is wonderful--enthusiastic, energetic, and incredibly on top of fostering a positive community in her classroom. Our son is now doing reading, writing, and math at a level that I didn't even touch in school until the end of my 1st grade year. The afterschool enrichment programs are great, and my son loved the science program this semester. The parents club is very active and does a great deal to support and enrich the experiences of all kids at the school. And on the rare occasions that I have brought up a troubling dynamic with other children or parents, the teacher and principal responded immediately and reinforced that they always want to know right away when parents notice something that might be an issue. They are ON IT. We are so fortunate to have this school right around the corner from us. The diversity of children and families is such a terrific mix, and my son is really enjoying school and learning a lot. It's a real neighborhood school.

We just transferred in to Valley View and my kids love it. Teachers have been great so far, but its the extra curricular activities that it special. Mustangs of the Week, music program for all kids, after school enrichment programs, lots of communication (parent club website and email blasts, newletters from the Principal). Current Principal is wonderful and respects all sides of the story. Is a parent herself, grew up locally, and was a teacher. Great leadership, very active parents club that is focused on academic enrichment.

The 4-5 star rating of Valley View Elementary School is unrealistic given the school's 2012-2013 School Accountability Report Card (SARC), which was released early this year. Valley View had a NEGATIVE 27 test score performance between Spring of 2012 and Spring 2013. Its 2012 API school Ranking was 2/10 compared to similar schools in the area. This report may have been one of the reasons Valley View went from an anticipated 2 Kindergarten classes to only 1, as parents sought out other schools with better scores. There is no question that Valley View has an outstanding parent involvement but unfortunately that in itself will not keep parents commitment to the school. It is the quality of the education. If Valley View 2013-2014 SARC performance score show a continue spiral downwards, Valley View will, unfortunately, see an exodus of students.

We were initially leery about sending our Kindergartener to VV considering some of the horrendous reviews below. After actually taking the time to speak with parents of children who have attended Valley View for several years and visiting we decided we would make a go of it and we couldn't be happier!! My daughter loves her class- she comes home telling me all the wonderfully engaging activities she gets to do daily. We look forward to being part of the VV community for many years to come. One huge suggestion- don't let reviews from this or other websites sway you. Come check us out! Between the amazing teachers & staff, the great after school enrichment classes & the VERY hard working parents club, Valley View has transformed into a spectacular environment for students.

Great School!!! I love the community, the new principal is working very hard with teachers, parents, stuff and community members to make the school the great school we knew. I have been in Vally View since 2005 and experienced the difficulties for the last years when we had principal issues, but the new principal is bringing the school together again. We have great teacher who do their best despite the difficulties of having many students in their classrooms. We love and support Valley View our great school.

Last modified Valley View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.