D. H. White Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted August 5, 2014

There will never be 100% satisfaction with every parent so I will speak from my past experience with other school districts, My child started 'K" at a school in Fairfield and was sent home early everyday. The teachers didn't have time to work with a child who needed something extra because they had 34 other students. When I enrolled my child at DH white, I braced for the worse. My child NEVER got sent home. My child had 4's all year long ( which is considered 80-100% proficient) The teacher was very honest with me and told me what my child needed to work on, but it wasn't academics! My child is now going into second grade and is reading at a 4th grade level. The teacher took the time to realize my child needed harder work and books sent home. The school had a new principal start last year and from what I hear, he's better then the last. The classes have about 23 students which is a lot better than 35. Im scoring this school a 5. I don't think a bad relationship between a parent and teacher speaks about the school as a hole. Unfortunately, this school doesn't have an afterschool program which would be great in a little city with no childcare BUT provide FREE bussing services.

Posted January 24, 2014

This school is terrible, and I find it interesting that my previous review was deleted from this site. I'm not gonna go through the whole thing again, but I will say the bottom line is if you want your child to have a good education DO NOT send them here... I will say that the only good teacher they had was Mr. Wright but he no longer works there.

Posted September 11, 2012

This School didn't do anything to help my Daughter in her education at all. All the teachers would say is that she is a pleasant to have in classand that she there is nothing she needs help with. She went there for kindergarten to 2nd grade. When we moved we found out she was way behind and has a learning disability. If you want your kids to get a great education look into other schools for it. This school will not give it to your children! I am only giving it 1 star because it wont let me leave it empty.

Posted August 9, 2010

I do not understand how this school has a 6 out of 10 rating. The teacher my child had for 2009-2010 was terrible. I am really hoping this year will be better.

Posted October 6, 2009

DH White has incredible teachers!!!!

Posted October 5, 2009

D.H. White school has the best teachers, staff and parent involement.

Posted August 6, 2008

We are now going on to our second year at this school and we are looking forward to it. My daughter loves it here and I am finding myself glowing with pride when I talk about D.H White. The are a lot of things that this school needs to do to become a bit more modern but funds are hard to come by. We are going to be getting new computers this year thanks to the fundraising by the PTC. I am a stay at home mom for now so I have more time then others so I volunteer as much as I can. I joined the Parent Teacher Club and I love the feel of knowing more about the goings on at school. The staff are wonderful people and they work very hard for our kids. I wish we had better parent involvement but at every event I saw the same few parents. This is a public school after all so parents need to help out when ever and where ever they can. I am going to be happy to be sending my youngest to this school as well. I'm going to be at this school for a long time. Hope to see you here.

Posted March 15, 2008

My child is in Kindergarten at this school and would be lucky to have any one of the kindergarten teachers here. They are all fabulous, energetic, and attentive to the kids. They make themselves easily accessible to the parents. The school is typical of a small town in that the staff knows all the students and a lot of the parents and families, but I come from a big city and I think this is wonderful! It makes me confident in knowing that my child and my requests will not be ignored and lost in the system. The office staff is great and the PTA group is dedicated and welcoming to all parents that are interested in helping in any way they can. I work full time and have still been able to find a way to be involved.

Posted February 26, 2008

I had my son attend here for 1st and 2nd grade. His first grade teacher was Ms Fredrick and she was very attentive to the students. My son enjoyed going to school and doing his homework. His Second grade teacher ( Ms. Hunt) is very motivating to her students. She really helped my son improve in his reading skills. Overall the teachers have been good. The school administrative needs more assistance. Principal is not always around. Short on staff in the office. This town a is your typical small town feel. Where everyone knows your name and your business. They gossip too much amongst each other. There is not enough diversity within the town or the school. If it wasn't for the Superb Teachers ( Ms. Fredrick is no longer teaching there) I would not have my child in this school.

Posted January 22, 2008

This school is a decent school, my child is in kindergarten at this school and had 2 fabulous teachers his first teacher was a temporary Mrs. Saldana and his current teacher Ms. Bonner is also amazing they both care a lot for the children and make lots of efforts to help all chilren. I work in the class frequently and couldnt ask for a better teacher.

Posted December 3, 2007

My child attended this school for 5 LONG years. There are very few good teachers at this school. My child only received a decent teacher in 4th grade as there weren't any bad 4th grade teachers. [My] child does not fall at or below the national standard there isn't any effort put in to helping [her] exceed that standard. This started in Kindergarten and went thru 3rd grade. The principal is very unhelpful [to us] and doesn't seem to want to be there most of the time.

Posted January 19, 2007

Last year my daughter was in first grade and really loved it. Her teachers were wonderful and cared about her and her progress. First grade is great as they separate into groups per reading level and all the first grade teachers are pretty good. Second grade seems to be another story. As far as I can tell there is only one possibly two good second grade teachers and my daughter does not have them. She is in the top of her class academically but is bored and has become unmotivated to read or excel as she is forced to perform on an average or below level and the work is easy and boring for her. There are no programs for students like this and the teachers don't show any sign of caring for her academically or personally that I can tell. I work in the class what else can I do?

Posted April 7, 2006

The kindergarten program at this school is stellar. The parent involvement is very strong and the school provides an after school choir; fall, Christmas, and Spring musical.

Posted August 14, 2005

Last year was our first year at DH White school and I felt our daughter was very blessed to have Mr. Nick Glende as her teacher. He is very focused and attentive to his students. My daughter attended pre-school before going into Kindergarten, but she really didn't show any interest in reading until Mr. Glende worked with her and got her really excited. I was a parent helper in her class, and was fortunate to observe his work. The only thing that I have been disapointed in at DH White is the lack of activities outside of the class rooom for our kindergarteners and the lack of parental involvement. I am a working mother and still found the time to be there for my child and as a resource for her teacher. Unfortunatly I am one of a very small group. We need to be partners to expect excellence!!!

Posted July 19, 2004

I love this school. My kids are coming home from school eager to do their homework, and keen to learn. Both of my sons are already reading Harry Potter books (all 400+ pages) and they are only in first and second grade!

This school's

(2012)

5 / 10

3 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

5 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

3 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students72%

• Pierre Laleau
Fax number
  • (707) 374-4364

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now