No rating

Hawarden Hills Academy

Private | K-8 | 285 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Riverside

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $225,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,070.

Posted August 29, 2010

I am a Student at Hawarden and I just LOVE it here! This will be my 9th year here. My class is like one big family, everyone knows everyone. The teachers are AMAZING. I remember just about everything they teach us. We have fun while learning, and I think that's very important.

Posted June 25, 2010

Make sure you stay away from any kind of bugs ,bacteria or viruses when you enroll to this school because if god forbidden your kids catch a disease and you have to keep her home for more than five days in a quarter, they will get penalized with taking a grade off of their academic achievements!!Bringing notes from physicians doesn't mean any thing to these people!! That is crazy!! So many people are leaving the school this year and that might be one of the reasons!!

Posted June 6, 2010

Their teachers have no qualifications that we know off. They could be pulled from the receptionist job to teach a class. The principle is unapproachable and unreasonable. There is no music or physical education courses. The children so called cafeteria consists of outdoor open area benches and you have to provide the food daily. the lunch boxes are all kept outside in open cubbies where it is accessible by anyone and anytime at any temperature. This school is terrible. Some kids grades were reduced a whole grade (from A to B, or B to C) for 5 days of excused absences. Most of your kids' education here comes from you at home. The fact is that they don't have any competition from other private schools and that is the only way they survive. Have this place was in OC, they would be counting beans and teaching squirrels instead of our

Posted May 15, 2010

I'm not sure what the previous poster is talking about. My daughter is also in 1st grade and she has learned so much about Science, Social Studies, grammar, poetry, spanish, writing, and more. As far as the math and reading steps are concerned, If a child does not master a step they do have to repeat it. I think 6-8 weeks for a step is the perfect amount of time for allowing the students who catch on quicker to move on and those who need more time can have it by repeating the step. The school also has review steps which reviews previous taught concepts. Both of my children are miles ahead academically than their friends who are in public school.

Posted May 14, 2010

My daughter has been attending HHA since Kinder. In her first year she did really great, she was reading and doing math by the time see left kinder and went to first grade. Although I find the step mod program great for reading and math, all the other subjects are not taught and she lacks any knowledge of. If they do not get a-b in the step for reading and math they repeat the step, and actually 6-8 weeks of each subject is not enough. My daughter has been doing multiplication all year and still can not retain it. But I find the kids are pushed through the steps and they really dont retain it for the next step. I feel the teachers and staff are cold and lack new skills. They dont update the curriculm or events and they are the same year after year.

Posted February 19, 2010

I started HHA a year ago, in the 7th grade, and I am not in the 8th. Before that, it's been all public school. And let me tell you one thing: they're the same. Except less kids, which means even better because you know everyone and everyone's close! Trust me; not all public school kids are nice. (I'm talking to the parents who're complaining.) Also, I love it there. The extracurricular stuff is amazing! And the event days rock! My reading class (the highest step there is) helped me find symbols and literary tools I've never known existed and has definitely readied me more that public school has for Honor Lit. Before that, I've barely read any classics! Now, I've read them and understand their meanings! Trust me - the school's worth it. Also, they help you overcome shyness - take it from the once only shy girl there. :)
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 24, 2009

I am continuing my comment because there is so much to put! I absolutely love the teachers. They aren't boring nor too strict. They have a fun sense of humor and are really comfortable around students, parents, and other teachers. They are like a family, just like the students. My daughter (7th) loves her class. It's a small class (22) but they all feel like family because they are all so kind to one another and are fun and smart. My son transferred from Amelia Earheart, and I have noticed a huge change in him! In his studying, grades, social life. He is doing so well in school, and is very smart. He also has a lot of good friends which he considers family. I love this school!

Posted November 10, 2009

Hawarden Hills had their Veteran's Day celebration today! I love the way this school honors the men and women that have and had served this great country. I have two boys attending Hawarden and I am so proud to be apart of this school.

Posted October 3, 2009

If a parent is expecting HHA to be a social place where children go to 'make friends' show off outfits, act glamorous or wear the latest fads, then he or she will be very disappointed. In that sense HHA is not the average American school where the social aspect, ostentatious individuality, materialism and an obession with one's 'feelings' have produced the most selfish, disrespectful and academically inept children on the planet. Now, if a parent is concerned about educating his or her child, then HHA is excellent. The point of paying tuition and enrolling the child is to prepare the child to lead a productive life and perhaps lead. Too much homework? Then get off the cellphone and assist your child. Ms Lenny was too tough on your little precious gift to mankind? Good, the better the child will learn how to deal with the real world.

Posted July 16, 2009

I am a former student of HHA and had attended the school for all nine years of my early education, kindergarten to eighth grade. I am glad to say those nine years of my life were filled with my best memories. The teaching staff there may be a little odd at times with all their quirky ways and teaching techniques, but they definitely show their dedication to have their students succeed in the academic aspects of their lives. Many parents tend to argue that HHA teachers are unqualified or not dedicated. However, through my experience I feel that these same teachers have taught me so many lessons in life, both inside and outside the classroom. Also, these strict rules set by the teachers help keep the students in line, making them respectful and well behaved, unlike most public school students. The step-mod system used is also very brilliant in allowing students to learn at their own pace, meaning students who are stronger in math that reading comprehension have more room to excel. Another problem parents find in the school is the social aspect, or the lack thereof. Unlike these parents, I think you are prepared socially for high school because the small class sizes allows students to form a bond between all the classmates they can cherish forever. Also even though this school does not have extracurricular activities, I feel at such a young age most extracurricular activities include recreational sports that many public school children also participate in. Now that I am a junior in my high school years, I look back on this school and feel very grateful for the mark it has left on me. Overall, HHA is an amazing school that prepares its students for the future.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 3, 2009

My daughter just graduated from Kindergarten and she has already learned so much. She was in advanced Math and Reading and she surprises my husband and I everyday with things she has learned from the school. Our daughter loves Mrs. Gilliam. It was important for us that she not only learn but enjoy the academic environment she is in. As parents, my husband and I made sure we supported our daughter with every school activity and we noticed that a lot of the parents take time to also support their kids. My daughter can't wait to go to first grade.

Posted June 8, 2009

Did one year at this school but the totalitarian authoritarian leadership style is not for us. School has a lot of good ideas and may be great for adults and children who need to be told what to do.

Posted June 3, 2009

Great school! There is no such thing as a perfect school but HHA has been wonderful for our children. The kids love their teachers and we love the activities, price, school atmosphere and the after school program.

Posted March 16, 2009

HHA has been a life-preserver in a sea failing schools. As we hear of the dismal failures of the CA public school system we are happy that our kids are at HHA. They are learning (certainly more than they would at public school), they are happy, they feel safe and we feel safe having them there. We look forward to the years to come, watching them grow up in the school and with their friends.

Posted January 3, 2009

The Step-Mod program is wonderful for students who are working above their grade level. My son is able to attend math and Language Arts classes at his ability level without having to skip him a grade.

Posted November 9, 2008

Our child attend HHA. It is now nearly one week after the presidential election, and according to our child, not one word has been mentioned about President-elect Obama, not even in History/Social Studies class. This is very disconcerting to us, especially in light of the fact that we dare not ask the administration for an explanation. While this school has excellent academic standards, its administration and teaching staff are well known for their personality quirks and thin skins. Our fear is that they would punish or expel our child due to our questions in this regard.

Posted September 28, 2008

This school used to have a great reputation as a great school. It has been a tremndous disappointment over the last several years. The Step Mod program could be wonderful, if it weren't for the fact that tons of gaps in learning are created. The very basics are 'taught' and the rest is skipped. It is just enough to prepare for the SAT's and that is all. Math steps are 6-8 weeks and then they move on. In public school kids learn math concept all year and build a solid foundation. Not a HAA. The gaps are alarming. Many smart children we know have left the school and have done poorly on exams for other schools(pub and priv). Many of very smart kids go to regular tutoring= huge secret. No tchr.is credentialed, 3have a clg. degree. They teach from a binder created by the prncpl. Tchr turnover is very high.

Posted September 16, 2008

Very disastisfied with the curriculum (or lack thereof) at this school. There are no standards except for those set forth by the adminstration. There are no credentials teachers on staff. The public school system where my daughter now attends offers her more opportunity to reach the standards that she is capable of reaching. I was very disappointed in the rapid fire approach that is used to give the illusion that students are achieving at higher than grade level. In reality, the quick approach to concepts does not allow for thorough understanding and application. Do yourself and your child a favor - find a school (public) that requires that ALL teachers are credentialed, trained, and certified to teach the ever rigorous demands of elementary and middle school education in California.

Posted September 12, 2008

The Step-Mod program works! I have 2 children reading and excelling in math far beyond my expectations. My only concern is will there be a high school ready for my high expectations.

Posted August 30, 2008

It was an excellent school, and I knew I made a good choice by sending my child to HHA. He's in 5th grade, and is in Pre-Algebra, and the top of his class. Amazing! He's read Homer and Robin Hood, and he really took a liking into this school. He compted in the school spelling bee, and won second place. I am very proud of him and this school...everything is perfect. The staff here is great- including many fantastic teachers that have taught my son many great things. The office administrators are a pleasure to me because they treat everyone with respect; I think this school is affordable and a must-go school for your child's K-8 advantages.

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Mrs. Lennett Logan
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6696 Via Vista Drive