No rating

Hawarden Hills Academy

Private | K-8 | 285 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Riverside

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $225,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,070.

Posted July 16, 2008

I am very satisfied with this school's math program. My son completed Kinder this year and is currently working on problems from beginning second grade. I do concur with the parent that indicated that in the area of language arts this school does need to adopt a writing program that incorporates writing prompts in kinder. I am working very hard this summer having my son construct sentences and paragraphs utilizing step up to writing strategies. IN addition, I had to purchase a phonics program because he is also lacking these skills. I do enjoy the student environment. Students are well mannered and are very descent as oppose to a public school setting. If you are looking for strong academics as a public school teacher I can assure you your child is in a safe environment. You are paying for the environment not the education.

Posted July 6, 2008

I think this school is excellent in academics, activities, and their staff is the best you can find! Thank you for being such a great school! I'll miss it when I leave after eighth grade.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 1, 2008

I was greatly disatisfied with my daughters second grade year a HHA. If your child has the slightest learning disabilites, or not, this school may lead you to believe that she does - the kids are pushed to perform well above their grade level and if they are average students this Step Mod system may seem as if your child isn't matching up with the populace. At this age a childs self esteem and confidence are very important and the feeling of being left behind by your peers is not what I wanted my daughter to continue to experience. I want to build her up even if she is not a straight 'A' student. She will not attend HHA for third grade.

Posted June 10, 2008

Very disappointed. My daughter went there from kinder to 8th grade it prepares you acedemically, but not socially. There are too many rules. My daughter had no idea what to when she got to high school. She was prepared acedemically, but she was not prepared socially. This school offers no extracurricular activites. The spanish taught there is not efficient. I would recommend going to school there for a few years then take them out and send them to a public school. I really regret not sending my daughter to a public school in 7th grade. I think theat would have prepared her more for high school. There is also way to much homework. There were nights in 5th grade were my daughter and I were staying up past mid night to finish homework. She is in high school and she has her homework done by 6 or 7. Public school's better.

Posted June 8, 2008

First I will say you will get 100% of the best attention from the teaching staff. But they are limited on what they can do because of adminstration. My children attend this school for several years. And when we left, 20 other families followed for the same reasons. I found out the difference our first year of public, where my good student became an excellent student. HHA prides itself on SAT scores, yet public schools take CSAT, a completely different test which can not be compared one against the other. Your tution is spent in ways you will never know. If the only reason you our attending this school is because of it's day care public schools offer 6am to 6pm care on campus at a reasonible price. Public schools offer new text books every 2 yrs. and the teachers are properly trained.

Posted May 7, 2008

I love the smaller school atmosphere. Not only do most of the teachers know your child's name, most of the students do, too. I think it's great that many of the older students, like 7th and 8th graders, signed my child's kinder yearbook last year. At this school, you feel like a part of a large family. The step-mod program works well for us, too, since both my children are performing at an advanced pace than the average child in their grade. They are continually challenged not just in reading and math, but in their homeroom, too, especially with the monthly science themes. If you are looking for a school that will teach your child a good base for study habits, then this is it. The students are taught to be responsible for their actions.

Posted April 20, 2008

Students do well on starnrdized testing because any sub-standard child is pressed to leave the school. As a result, test scores are produced by means of eliminating low achievers.

Posted March 25, 2008

My daughter is a kinder this year and we are very happy with the school. The teachers are caring, they take the time to work with the child if the child is having a difficult time with the classwork. The office staff always welcome you with a 'good morning'. They know all the children's names, which makes it a warm and personal environment. They have many special events throughout the school year. One of the events was Dr. Seuss Day. The children were allowed to come to school dressed in their favorite Dr. Seuss Character and even some of the teachers dressed up. They started the day off with two highly energetic teachers dressed as Thing 1 and 2 jumping out of a red box. Throughout the day there were other activities that the kinders did, like play with green goo. My daughter can't wait until first grade.

Posted March 19, 2008

Excellent academic program. If you want your child to have the best possible education, this is the place for you. However, if you, as a parent, need to have your hand held and be coddled, better go to a public school. At Hawarden Hills, the rules apply to everyone and are enforced fairly. If you need to be the exception (as apparently some of the writers of reviews herein seem to be), you won't be happy. The proof of Hawardens academic program is posted in the lobby area for all to see. Most classes average 2 years ahead of the national average, with some even higher. Graduates of Hawarden are always in the top of their respective freshman classes in high school and quite often the Valedictorian upon graduating. I am extremely satisified with Hawarden Hills.

Posted December 1, 2007

My son attended for the fall quarter. I was disappointed with the school and the principal. I met few staff that had a real appreciation for the learning process. Neither the principal nor the teacher we had demonstrated an interested in working with the parents in the best interst of the student--very impersonal and cold. The homework was crushing and the class size (30+) was unproductive. We transfered to a Montessori school with smaller class sizes, my son excelled, and his interest in learning came back.

Posted September 11, 2007

Academically this school is satisfying. My child is a kindergartner and very happy there. The principal and office staff are awful.

Posted August 17, 2007

My daughter attended this school for 2 years. She came from a public school in Moreno Valley(Northridge). She did excellent at Hawarden, I was worried that she would struggle, but she didn't, at all! I will say that the homework is way too much! We had 3-4 hours of homework 4 days a week and last year in 4th grade she began to get homework on the weekends! I felt like the teachers were over-burdened, so they sent half the days work home to us to finish. I was not looking forward to 5th grade and when my husband lost his job, it was actually a blessing. We were also disappointed in the 'special events' they did for the children-Shakespeare Day, Farm Day, etc., it is the same every year! Come on, where is the creativity?! My daughter's looking forward to extracurricular activities/field trips again at her new Public School.

Posted August 16, 2007

The Step-Mod Method used at the school is great -- it allows each student to proceed at his/her own ability level rather than grade level. Additionally, the students receive classroom instruction from various teachers thus preparing them for the type of instruction they'll receive in high school and college. Academically, it's wonderful. However, the administration, particularly the principal's Draconian ideals of how to run a school made it impossible for us to stay. Here, parental involvement is not welcomed. If you do not agree with the way your child is being taught, be prepared to leave because there will be no accomodation made for you. Additionally, there is no room for individuality or creativity. If you want a well-rounded student, this is not the school for you.

Posted July 5, 2007

My daughter just finished a hectic Kinder year. She has blossomed incredibly since the first day of school and surpassed my expectations. We never felt pressured by the teachers to make the next step. Most of her teachers went out of their way to make sure she fully understood the basic math concepts that she was struggling with and her next teacher has already discussed her teaching plan with me. The staff is very approachable and open to communication with interested parents. I highly recommend this school. No extracurricular activities offered but available activities are posted for interested students.

Posted June 7, 2007

Our son had been at Hawarden for 6 years, the schools academic is very good, the step mod program works well although there are no extracurricular activities or sports program, we are still happy to see the result from their teaching by our son showing excellent grades from his studies, unfortunately we have to move him due to our family spiritual calling, we will miss Hawarden, the staff, the kids and their families specially the holiday program performed every year with their beautiful outrageous customs. Thank you Ms.Clark for having him in Kinder, Ms. Horn for 1st Grade, Ms. Truitt 2nd Grade, Ms. Barrow for 3rd, Ms. Carter for 4th and finally Ms. Macaraya for 5th, not to forget the smiling face that we see every morning, Ms Mollie and Ms Pfeiffer. Thank you for all the things you did for our son Steven. We will miss you. The Surachutikarn

Posted May 8, 2007

This is a excellent school my child is at least three levels ahead in math and is reading one level ahead. The principal their minds her business and she loves the chidren. And she does so much for the children that attends the school. For The parent that need special attention from the principal. Find another school. I love This school and the pricipal. My child loves it as well.

Posted February 23, 2007

My kids have attended Hawarden for 2 years now and we love it! The school is very focused academically and has excellent communication with the parents. My kids have blossomed and shone here. The school has no fund raisers, they raise money at school by selling yearbooks, and school items. The teachers are very skilled and I like the fact that most have 2 0or 3 kids also attending Hawarden. I would recommend this school to anyone serious about educating their kids. It is a wonderful and beautiful school dedicated to teaching and preparing your child to succeed at high school and college. I give it 5 stars!

Posted February 21, 2007

My children went to this school for 3 years and each year I was more and more disappointed. I was very unhappy with the principal! With the step mod program they rush the children into getting up to the 'next level'.

Posted January 27, 2007

We put my daughter in kindergarten at hawarden and have been amazed at the level in which she is performing. She is already reading at well above 1st grade level--same with her math. She is a regular kid with i'll say above average intelligence, but the school does not accept anything less than a child's best performance. This k class has been tough, but she can already do addition, subtraction, greater than/less than, writing sentences, etc. And recently had to give a poster board presentation to her class. She's 5! I know jr high kids who are just starting to do that! Great school! If you want your kid to excel and be ready for college by 8th grade, choose this school. There are no extracurricular activities at this school--it's 100% academic.

Posted October 29, 2006

I love the academic programs. I started school not knowing how to ask how old someone is in Spanish, and now, within the first semester, I'm proficient in how to greet people and how to ask where people are from! Excellent P.E. and Computer programs, too. Now that I'm in 6C, I can fully expirience these things. Mr. Heredia is one awesome computer teacher who finds a way to make us laught each day! Coach Moyer comes up with wonderful activities, such as Scooter Ball and Frisbee Goal. Up at recess, though, there's not very good supervision. I see the teachers talking to each other instead of watching us to make sure were don't hurt ourselves. I adore Shakespeare Day, where I can fully unleash my amazement with the middle ages. I'd ay that in my three years there, my current one is the best!
—Submitted by a student

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Mrs. Lennett Logan
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6696 Via Vista Drive