No rating

Hawarden Hills Academy

Private | K-8 | 285 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Riverside

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $225,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,070.

Posted Wednesday, September 24, 2014

In regards to the booster club...Perhaps concerned parents should try asking those questions to school officials rather than blasting parents who are donating time and effort to improve our school. It's really easy to sit back, pass judgement, and write anonymous reviews in public forums--instead let's try asking educated questions to the appropriate audience. Schools don't want to do everything alone. They embrace supportive parents who strive to make kids academic experiences better. The only issue with our booster club is the lack of support from more parents. I get it-I'm busy too, but it's hypocritical to sit back and criticize when we haven't done anything to help. I'm going to attend a meeting and offer to help. If we work together than we can create a better school for our kids.

Posted September 1, 2014

Just a thought. Recently, the newly formed Aardvark Booster Club sent home a letter at the student orientation and a list of "officers" in this club. This letter is requesting $100.00 from each family for the student play area. Here's the questions: 1. Who decided that this school needed a booster club? 2. Since none of the parents from the school knew about an election for officers in this club and no body voted for these people, who appointed them or did they appoint themselves? 3. Where are the written by law's or rules for this group? 4. Why, with us parents paying the amount of tuition that we pay, are being asked to pay more for a playground that is being put together by the janitor at the school. It was my understanding when my child started at this school that parent participation is nit welcomed. So, whats with the booster club?

Posted July 15, 2014

Upon enrolling my boys into the school I had low expectations based on the reviews but I needed a school that would accommodate my boys in math and English. They are at 3-4th grade level in math in Kumon and other outside tutorials. To my delight, Hawarden Hills met my rigorous academic standards but more importantly I learned that a supportive, caring, and encouraging environment is of utmost importance. The staff, teachers, and students were so caring that I am sad to have to move. If you are looking for a school that will meet your academic needs and will encourage them to explore new things this is the school for you.

Posted May 30, 2014

Hawarden Hills is notorious for promoting students who have not earned it. There have been students this year who have failed miserably, but yet they are still being promoted and allowed to participate in activities they did not earn, alongside the students that have worked hard to obtain these achievements. That is not fair to the students who have worked hard all year. Its ridiculous and should be frowned upon. I guess this to be expected from a school who has parents of students teaching, and a principal who is so loony that students are actually scared of her. Professionalism is low. Education is low. Complete waste of time and money.

Posted February 8, 2014

This school is for the dogs. I had an appointment for a tour of the school with my son, we were greeted by his would be teacher and a half a dozen dogs running loose down the halls ! No leash, kids chasing them and yelling ,not to mention the dogs in the office barking and the staff just talking over them like this was the norm.I asked if this was share a dog day or something and she just laughed and said they were just really spoiled. Well I proceeded with the tour which eventually ended at a less then desirable all dirt playground. Come on even dog parks have grass. Needless to say this schools seemed a bit too chaotic and overrun with dogs!

Posted December 29, 2013

My son attended HHA second through fifth grades. The best part about HHA is that they instill academic discipline in their students. For example, if a student does not do his or her homework, he or she receives a consequence that day. Students learn to be consistent. That was helpful for my son who has very good work habits now that he is in eighth grade, attending a public magnet school. One other review commented on the gaps in the math program. I would agree with that comment. We had a problem when he changed schools, but it was resolved. As with most schools, there are variations, and that was true at HHA. However, the administration does do a good job keeping the curriculum consistent. True, this school is not for everyone, and at times HHA may be too conventional, but certainly at the lower grades, they do an excellent job instilling a positive work ethic into the students who attend. In addition, the student body is diverse, and they do not tolerate inappropriate behavior for very long. There is, unfortunately, a bit of favoritism that does go on there. It did not bother me because I am not political. I wanted my son to develop good study habits and he did.

Posted October 2, 2013

Those parents who try to compare private with public need to STOP not a valid comparison. I find it funny how some parents take that long to figure out that HHA was not for them and then send messages trying to discourage others from attending. Yet, you have us public educators who have chosen to keep our kids at HHA. We see and understand both systems. FYI Ca has gone away with STAR testing and the idea of having kids in Algebra has also changed. I guess someone figured out that the push to have all 8th graders in Algebra by 8th grade was not happening. Algebra is very complex and at this developmental stage students struggle with this subject. Although, I'm sure there will be a few students in 8th grade in Algebra the push will be in high school which makes so much sense. One other thing, we are beginning a Common Core system but many districts are due for new adoptions in LA and or MATH until I believe 2017! So here we go again. HHA has a sense of family, kids are happy, kids are kids even in 8th grade.YES, you have parents who are teachers and have their kids at HHA or have graduates from HHA that says A LOT! Who counts yearbook pics? Middle school at HHA is amazing and safe!

Posted September 18, 2013

We took our youngest out and put them into A public school They were running a 3.8 at Hawarden now there barly able to maintain a 3.0. HHA gave quantity of home work not quality and they don't have ceritfied teachers that know what & how to teach, just moms playing teachers, but there are a couple of teachers that are good there. But the mid school programm is not good now,are kid had so many holes in the math sec. Then there's the grammar dept ect list goes on for middle school. Glad we pulled him out of 6 wish I of done it sooner, our friend kept theirs in the small 8th grade class of six people, & She had excellent grades to, High school has not been as easy as she thought. But this school does work for some people though. I would like to know what the actual percetage of these urban perfesional parents have there kids actaully go to college. By the way when you count all the kids in the 2013 book including preK their is less than 300 kids so that number they came up with is actually from around 07 or 08 they have been losing kids ever year since. There not being honest. Guess they have to pump up themselves alittle.They need to change there mid school & update it.

Posted September 12, 2013

So sorry it took 6-8 years for someone to discover that Hawarden was not for them.Our experience at Hawarden Hills has been very rewarding. We have two children who attended Hawarden kindergarten to eight grade. Our oldest daughter recently graduated from high school will attend her school of choice UCR did extremely well in high school taking honors and AP classes. Our other daughter just graduated from Hawarden. We are confident she will also do well. I would say if your looking for a good private school Hawarden is exceptional. I believe Hawarden s track record speaks for itself. Having a good foundation is very important. The school has a history of students that have excelled and went on to higher learning becoming doctors, lawyers, engineers ect. Our family attended an honor awards ceremony for our oldest daughter. She and all of her classmates who also attended Hawarden received multiple honor awards and all of them were on the honor roll for maintaining a GPA of 3.6-4.0 while attending Poly High. They all started at Hawarden Hills in kindergarten or first grade. They all also received the good citizen award.Hawarden was one of the best investments our family ever made

Posted June 13, 2013

What an appropriate title "Great School", indeed. My child graduated this year from Hawarden with a Great Start in life. Forget the first five, we got the first eight. Besides the awesome caring first rate staff, academic and social skills obtained, my child truly learned to meaning of leadership. And to never cave in to peer pressure, be honest and never follow some idiot out there selling snake oil! "Priceless". Oh, you can tell your child these principals, but mine got the opportunity to live/witness it. Great Choice!

Posted May 24, 2013

HHA is the second happiest place on Earth, just behind Disneyland. I had the honor of being educated at HHA from grades 3rd through 8th. I enjoyed this school so much, I rarely missed a day during the time I was there. I feel the education I received at HHA was so solid, there isn't any academic challenge I can't conquer. There was a genuine partnership between my parents and my teachers. This is one of the most unique private schools in Riverside. The Step Mod program accommodates individual learning abilities and academic levels. Geography day introduced me to many different countries and cultures. Performing at the winter programs and giving oral reports gave me the confidence to find my voice, and the debates taught me how to use it. I go back and volunteer every chance I get. HHA is place to learn, grow, and flourish. Thanks to HHA, I've blossomed, and will head off to college in the fall. I feel truly blessed to have had the "Aardvark" experience. God Bless, Gia J.

Posted March 26, 2013

I am giving this school four stars instead of five because of the food. I know it sounds funny but food matters in learning. If kids are pumping junkfood into their bodies, I believe they are also not learning to their full potential. I have no gripes at all about the cariculum, and I LOVE that the kids attednding this school have manners. What I would like to see is a nutrisionist rip the junk out of the school and teach the kids how to eat. A PTA would be nice too.

Posted February 12, 2013

My oldest daughter was entering kindergarten I found Hawarden. She went from kindergarten through middle school she will graduate this year from high school, my youngest daughter followed and still attends there. . The reason I decided to go private. I was at a public school k-5 there for a field trip, my youngest son s class. What I overheard a boy say to a group of girls unprintable, prompted me to look for a private school. Hawarden not only provided a safe and structured environment a bonus. Along with it came a great education. We are well pleased. My oldest son attended public school and is now a doctor but your child s personality matters especially in this day and time so don t look just at the school look at what matters to you and say where will my child flourish better. If your child is attending school anywhere and not being educated free or not it is your responsibility to follow your child's education and not wait years to print how horrible your experience was and how costly. Some children may obtain a great education which will be useless if their strung out on drugs or caught up in some other dangerous behavior

Posted October 15, 2012

One of the strongest and most effective partnerships there is, is the partnership between, teachers and parents. I have had two children to matriculate through HHA. Both have gone on to high school and done extremely well. One graduated in the top percent of her class, and the other is on her way to doing the same. I can confidently state, that the foundation they received at HHA was a solid one. My youngest child is still at HHA, where he continues to thrive and excell. The school provides an environment where students can learn and be challenged at a level which best suits their abilities. As a parent who is involved, I can tell you it requires parental participation in your child's education, as it is a school with high academic expectations. The teacher's are always available, and Ms. Lenny is ever present should a parent need to speak with her. She is passionate about HER STUDENTS. If you are a parent who feels that attending college is a given for your child, this is the place for you. Like everything in life, we get from it, what we put into it. At HHA we (students, teachers, administrators and parents), give it our all. God Bless

Posted October 9, 2012

I have read some of the previous posts and find them to be completely disingenuous. It is apparent that they are authored by by someone that has had an issue with a teacher or faculty member. For me, while I understand that no school is perfect, I find that HHA suits me and my children just fine. In seeing the work my children's friends are doing in public school versus what my children are doing, there is no comparison. The SAT scores prove that. Like any school though, you get out what you put in. Should you chose to use it as a babysitting service, save the money and send them to public school. If, however, you want a top grade education and are willing to put the effort in to ensure your child is successful, then I highly recommend HHA.

Posted October 7, 2012

I am a parent with a child that attends Hawarden. I am very happy with this school overall. The staff is friendly and everyone knows my son by name. What I love the most about this school is the sense of community. All the teachers and staff have the kid's best interest at heart. The teachers keep in contact with the parents about the progress of their children and I love that! We have to work together with the teachers in order for our children to succeed. They are always accessible if I've ever had a question. Also, they do not put up with trouble makers. Sometimes trouble makers come in the form of parents. My son had an issue with another student and it was found that the other student was at fault and it wasn't the first time, nor was my child the only one this student hurt. It was dealt with quickly. I trust these people with the most important person in my life and not only is he getting a great education, but he is safe and I can't ask for anything more! I highly recommend this school.

Posted October 5, 2012

We selected HHA for our grand-daughter because she almost failed 2nd grade in the public school system and was being considered for special education intervention. Her parents asked us to help. When we enrolled her in the 3rd grade at HHA last September she was 2 years behind grade level in math and 1 year behind in language arts. It took great effort on the part part of the teachers and 3 hours a night of home work on our part but after a year at HHA she was at grade level! The StepMod approach enabled her to do this. She is now in the 4th grade there and doing well. The small class size (15) has enabled her to get the extra help that she needs and the sheltered environment has enabled her to develop the social skills required to succeed in this world. She now has the maturity and confidence to punch herself in and out with the time clock and purchase her own lunch. She's become a winner in her own eyes.

Posted October 5, 2012

I have two children at Hawarden Hills; one is in Kindergarten, and the other in second grade. The smaller size of this school suits us perfectly. Both of my children are such that they would have been lost in a large school. However, here, they are known throughout the school by both staff and pupils, are encouraged to florish as individuals, and as a result are growing in confidence daily. Also, allowing for more individual attention means that my kids are unable to get away with things which may fly under the radar in a larger school. I know the staff's expectations for my kids in terms of conduct and academics, and they know mine. This enables us to work as a team when issues arise.

Posted October 4, 2012

We moved to Riverside from the Bay Area. My daughter was accepted into the STEM program which was fine last year. This year, there was no money for lap tops, any student is accepted and the program is definitely not as good. We went to Hawarden Hills and loved it! My daughter is now in Geometry, loves the science teacher, can work with computers every day and loves the after school enrichment (She takes Chinese language and Music)!

Posted September 11, 2012

Math is atrocious. Reading is anti-intellectual. Science is based on photocopies (no color). Teachers flee without warning. Remaining teachers are mostly poorly trained and not educated in the subjects they teach. Families are fleeing for STEM. That's it in a nutshell.

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Mrs. Lennett Logan
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6696 Via Vista Drive