Riverside, CA

Hawarden Hills Academy 5

Posted March 18, 2015
Having been at this school for 6 years now, it would be a shame for anyone reviewing this school to base their decision on a few negative comments. This school has shown continued improvement towards academic excellence and has some of the most caring teachers around. I feel my children are getting the best academic preparation for future education and WILL be prepared when they enter into High School and College. The STEP MOD program as well as the many other programs the school offers allows the children to continue to be academically stimulated throughout the day. The outside school planned trips are just an added bonus to this amazing school. Look no further.. this is THE BEST school for K-8 in Riverside...

Posted March 14, 2015
I would love to thank the amazing middle school teachers and parents who volunteered to be part of this trip, they took time away from their own life's to give the HHA students memories that will last a life time! Chaos, as the previous parent put it, REALLY! parents were given packing list and some of the luggages seemed larger than the ones taken to Washington! I'm sure that wasn't expected. Regardless, the teachers found a solution and all turned out great! It's to my understanding that the middle school teachers have been the ones that have pushed to get trips going for HHA students. Again, the kids came back with great experiences and memories and instead of finding minor things to complain about be thankful to those who made this happen for your child! Everyone has the right to their own opinion but its easy to criticize and make unprofessional comments when you hide behind a computer! Thank you teachers, you both are AMAZING and greatly appreciated!

Posted March 09, 2015
Dropped off the kids this morning for their field trip to Catalina, what chaos! Why did we gave to have the luggage at school on Friday? We were told the luggage was going to be already sent to the camp; we just needed to show up at 5:15 am get the kids on the bus. Part of the luggage was placed on the bus while the rest were thrown in the back of cars and trucks to be transported to the boat. Who organized this mess? I can see why the schools closing. The enrollment might be 200 currently, and the staff is forced to work with less. They've condensed classes and books are out of date and falling apart. Children are breaking the "new" equipment on the playground while the staff turns the other way. Ms Lenny should call it a day and retire.

Posted December 07, 2014
Pretty pathetic when you hear a teacher tell her students that they can't play on the lawn because of the dog "poop". How sick and disgusting! Get rid of the dogs if your not going to clean up after them. The school is no place for them.

Posted October 30, 2014
Who saw the stupid email sent out by the administration, stating how the purchase of the winter program tickets would take place? And of course, let's have the booster club run it! Well, I guess we all know who has the first 10 picks for tickets. If you really want to make thud fair, it should be done by lottery. The names of all the families gets put in a hat and they are drawn, by a neutral third party. Instead, this is once again turning into a game of favoritism.

Posted September 24, 2014
In regards to the booster club...Perhaps concerned parents should try asking those questions to school officials rather than blasting parents who are donating time and effort to improve our school. It's really easy to sit back, pass judgement, and write anonymous reviews in public forums--instead let's try asking educated questions to the appropriate audience. Schools don't want to do everything alone. They embrace supportive parents who strive to make kids academic experiences better. The only issue with our booster club is the lack of support from more parents. I get it-I'm busy too, but it's hypocritical to sit back and criticize when we haven't done anything to help. I'm going to attend a meeting and offer to help. If we work together than we can create a better school for our kids.

Hawarden Hills Academy 5

Posted July 15, 2014
Upon enrolling my boys into the school I had low expectations based on the reviews but I needed a school that would accommodate my boys in math and English. They are at 3-4th grade level in math in Kumon and other outside tutorials. To my delight, Hawarden Hills met my rigorous academic standards but more importantly I learned that a supportive, caring, and encouraging environment is of utmost importance. The staff, teachers, and students were so caring that I am sad to have to move. If you are looking for a school that will meet your academic needs and will encourage them to explore new things this is the school for you.

Posted May 30, 2014
Hawarden Hills is notorious for promoting students who have not earned it. There have been students this year who have failed miserably, but yet they are still being promoted and allowed to participate in activities they did not earn, alongside the students that have worked hard to obtain these achievements. That is not fair to the students who have worked hard all year. Its ridiculous and should be frowned upon. I guess this to be expected from a school who has parents of students teaching, and a principal who is so loony that students are actually scared of her. Professionalism is low. Education is low. Complete waste of time and money.

Posted February 08, 2014
This school is for the dogs. I had an appointment for a tour of the school with my son, we were greeted by his would be teacher and a half a dozen dogs running loose down the halls ! No leash, kids chasing them and yelling ,not to mention the dogs in the office barking and the staff just talking over them like this was the norm.I asked if this was share a dog day or something and she just laughed and said they were just really spoiled. Well I proceeded with the tour which eventually ended at a less then desirable all dirt playground. Come on even dog parks have grass. Needless to say this schools seemed a bit too chaotic and overrun with dogs!

Posted December 29, 2013
My son attended HHA second through fifth grades. The best part about HHA is that they instill academic discipline in their students. For example, if a student does not do his or her homework, he or she receives a consequence that day. Students learn to be consistent. That was helpful for my son who has very good work habits now that he is in eighth grade, attending a public magnet school. One other review commented on the gaps in the math program. I would agree with that comment. We had a problem when he changed schools, but it was resolved. As with most schools, there are variations, and that was true at HHA. However, the administration does do a good job keeping the curriculum consistent. True, this school is not for everyone, and at times HHA may be too conventional, but certainly at the lower grades, they do an excellent job instilling a positive work ethic into the students who attend. In addition, the student body is diverse, and they do not tolerate inappropriate behavior for very long. There is, unfortunately, a bit of favoritism that does go on there. It did not bother me because I am not political. I wanted my son to develop good study habits and he did.

Hawarden Hills Academy