John W. North High School

Public | 9-12

Living in Riverside

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $165,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,020.

Posted August 5, 2013

I am a student barely about to begin my 2nd year at North, and I liked my first year overall. During my first day there the teachers and staff were very nice. My only issue was that it seemed like the teachers never gave out enough homework and we weren't being challenged enough. Sure the assignments were easy, but as a freshman, I was too lazy to do the homework assignments. One of my teachers failed to make it apparent to the students WHEN to turn in our big projects/essays, and that's one of the reasons I didn't get credits in one of my classes. Now I know that high school should be taken seriously. One thing I like about the staff is that, even though they have a policy for no electronics, I got my iPod stolen and I knew who had it. I told the cop that they have in the discipline office, and he helped me get it back, and told me, "If this happens again I can't help you, we do have a rule here," and I understood. At North I only witnessed 2 fights, and there are not as many bullies as everyone assumes. I had an issue with one girl who got physical, but I ignored her and told her we weren't friends anymore. Other than that I had the best first year, and I made lots of friends.

Posted September 24, 2009

1. Great teachers who really want to help the students. 2. Horrible vice principal who thinks if you make one mistake you re a criminal (threatened me to take out my earphones or he d take them and keep them and not give them back) 3. An office that doesn t know the rules (i had my earphones in because they said it was alright) 4. Horrible students with really bad attitudes that don t like to meet new people. Which was bad considering i was a new student who had no friends. For 30 minutes in the morning and for another 30 minutes at lunch i just sat against a wall near my next class crying wondering why i had to go there, wishing i had music or friends to comfort me. It was the worst experience of my life and im glad i dont go there anymore

Posted August 1, 2009

As a former student who went through the IB program, I'm not surprised that less than 10% end up with a diploma -- it's a tough program. If you're willing to work hard, you'll learn a lot and be prepared for college and beyond. The IB diploma grads I've known have gone on to various top colleges (Yale, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, etc) and have thrived. I'm certainly grateful for the IB program and North in general as it helped make my undergrad and grad years a lot easier as I was better prepared to handle the challenges.

Posted December 9, 2008

It's a shame that ex-IB Students bath mouth the program. Could it be that they did not receive an IB dipoloma and are sore about it? in my opinion that's what it is. John Wesley North is an excellent school, the principal and staff go out of their way to help the students/parents in every need they have. As a parent of 2 wonderful and successful young men i highly recommend John Wesley North High School to anyone. It's unfortunate that the school is judged by it's location not for the curriculum it offers its students.

Posted February 17, 2008

I wouldn't go to this school unless there was an IB program. And I even know that the IB program is a sham. Less than 10% actually receive the diploma. Far more go for the certificate which doesn't really count, in my opinion. They do offer rigorous classes but only if you're in IB. The football team and the track team is one of the best in the state. There are many clubs on campuses but the majority of them are inactive. The Mock Trial and Academic Decathlon are actually very good extracurriculear activities that look good on college applications. There is a huge lack of funding at this school. The principal is very very good. Very little parent involvement unless your kid is in IB.

Posted October 5, 2007

in my opinon john w. north high school is one of the best school's in the riverside county.Their learning skills are probably better than any other school I have seen.

Posted October 1, 2007

There are obviously not enough funds to for proper landscaping and building updates, the curb appeal can use some attention!

Posted August 23, 2007

My teaching assignment at North lasted more than 10 years and less than 16. I found that the staff were very dedicated, professional, tolerant and overall ready to take youngsters into the new century and prepare them for life. There were programs or just about every taste and ability. Classes ranged from rigorous to those for pupils who needed additional help to bring them up to grade level. In addition to this the students themselves worked well socially and related remarkably well interracially. No, North is not perfect but all that the school offers is there for students and parents to benefit. I always said that parental involvement was crucial to student success. I am now retired but I have very positive memories of my time in the classroom. It is true that as the years pass, students bring more challenges to instructors and administrators. Let's recognize these dedicated professionals. Yea, North!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 10, 2007

I love north! it's been one of the greatest school's I've ever gone to. The experiences I've had there I will never forget. I won't forget the staff or students, they we're great. I have one year left at North, I feel it's going to be one of the best, and yet, I will be sad because it is my last. Class of '08!

Posted May 4, 2006

Excellent school for my two children. Great AP classes and academics. Excellent sports. I was very pleased in the past.

Posted August 30, 2005

The John W. North High School as a whole has become disfunctional. Teachers lose grades and mismark students regularly. Discipline is not consistant and is considerably biased. What is good for one student is not good for another. Coaches regularly violate CIF rules and the administration is aware of the infractions. Principal is aware of Booster club financial inacuracies. Again, inconsistant with discipline and any actions taken. Overall teaching staff is fare to above average. Parents must keep a real close eye on teachers recording students grades. Improper or inaccurate grade reporting happened several times to both of my kids. We were able to prove the inaccuarcies and overturn the poor grades given to my kids. I B is a scam less than 10% achieve I B certs. A/P & honors are good programs at North / same as special ed program. Must keep finger on the pulse.

Posted June 14, 2005

My two boys both graduated from North High. I was particularly impressed with the breadth of curriculum and activites as well as the quality of instruction. The IB program gave them a strong academic base, yet the music and sports programs all operated at very high levels. I was impressed with the conscientious attitude of the teachers and always found the parent conferences to be very instructive and beneficial both to ourselves and to our boys.

Posted October 6, 2003

Although the IB program seems to be popular among the parents but the truth of the matter is that more work in less time does not equal rigor. This school told an IB student 'We can't afford to get you a tutor; your parents have to pay for it.' Students appear to find success if they don't create too much noise or ask too many questions. Too bad.

Posted September 9, 2003

The IB program and the music program are definitely worth the other issues of the school. Both of my 'North' children (1998 and 2000) have successfully enter college and/or graduated to higher degrees.

Posted August 22, 2003

North has an excellent IB program. It is challenging for the students who may take 1 or more IB classes or study for the IB diploma. There are many extracurricular activities available to the students. The band is recognized internationally and is the pride of Riverside.

This school's

(2012)

5 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

5 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

187 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

258 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

311 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

535 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

264 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

172 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

360 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

189 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

542 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

164 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

548 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

508 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

167 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

282 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

558 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

216 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

595 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students13%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)69%
Parent education - college graduate69%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate92%
Parent education - declined to state67%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students6%

Students with no reported disability65%
Fluent-English proficient and English only78%
Parent education - not a high school graduate38%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

576 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

580 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students81%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 6%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1550 West Third Street