No rating

Saint Catherine Of Alexandria School

Private | K-8 | 272 students

Living in Riverside

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $225,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,070.

Posted June 11, 2012

it is so sad to see that this school has not corrected itself, especially in the bullying sector. My children who left the school along with about 65 others in one year have gone on to succeed with no help from what they learned at SCOA, as a matter of fact it is a awful scar that will unfortunately stay with them in a negative light forever.

Posted May 30, 2012

In our opinion, SCOA fails to maintain a learning-friendly environment, allowing bullying and other behavioral issues requiring attention to persist. Parents attempting to address these issues have been summarily ignored and worse the children of "non-conforming" parents are ostracized by certain members of the faculty and other families close to the principal or employed at SCOA. In my opinion, there is a crisis of leadership at this school and it is of no surprise many families are leaving.

Posted May 29, 2012

As we are winding down the 2011-2012 school year I have a few things I would like to say about St. Catherine's. It is a good school. Do we expect to get along with the teacher's and staff 100% of the time, I for don't. It's like a family and you know you don't always get a long with them. As for policy issues, I for one expect them to be handled in a timely manner. I personaly don't agree with the policy that you must first goto the teacher than the rest of the chain. For one if the issue is with t he teacher that will nevbe resolved and if you wait for an answer that can take a week or longer before you move on to the next person on that chain. A waste of time if you ask me. I think it needs to be handled by the lead teachers and then taken to the principal. He is the final say at the school level. But as far as the generalization of St. Catherine's it is a good school. We lay down a remarkable foundation of higher learning for our children. If you look at the graduating class of 2011 a good majority of students came from SCOA. This years 8th grade class will far exceed those numbers in the future. If you want to make a difference be the difference. Become involved as I am doing.

Posted May 16, 2012

How could our teachers be unprofessional and the curriculum outdated? Our school has recently received a 6-year WASC accreditation with great reviews. Our school goes over and above California State Standards and the standards of the Diocese of San Bernardino. Parents need to inspire their own children
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 1, 2012

I am currently a student at Saint Catherine and feel inspired by my teachers and classmates to succeed academically, personally and spiritually. I am so grateful my parents let me attend school at a place where I feel challenged but can be myself!

Posted April 15, 2012

It is difficult to believe a review that awards five stars but the says room for improvement. I am pleased that your children have had a positive experience. Unfortunately for us the few good teachers were over shadowed by the unprofessional and soul destroying others. Since leaving our children have experienced public school where the cirriculum is far more enriching and the teachers far more accountable and enthusiastic. Perhaps the teachers and wonderful families need to ask themselves why many families are leaving?

Posted March 5, 2012

Regarding a couple recent reviews, we had to spend a lot of money at Sylvan to get our daughter up to speed after leaving SCA. At first when we went to Sylvan, they were surprised that we needed this coming from a private school, but when we mentioned the school's name, then he wasn't surprised. We definitely were not the first family needing some additional learning and review.

Posted December 9, 2011

I am a student and I LOVE my school. All of the students are friendly, the teachers are amazing and always try to make learning fun, and the education is fantastic. I have been going to this school ever since Kindergarten and everything has been going great. God is good... All the time. Let's Go SAINTS!!! Be Proud.

Posted October 17, 2011

In the past three years my children have had a wonderful experience at this school. This year many of the basics are changing. The education is the same, however, the fun is gone for many of the kids. Our traditions are changing daily and the principal and vice principal refuse to supply consistant and honest information to the families. It is so sad to watch what is happening. If only the principal would listen.......Please we are begging, just listen!

Posted September 17, 2011

My child has enjoyed attending SCA. The teachers and staff have challenged her academically and have always been supportive. She has enjoyed the wonderful music program, found a passion for science, and loves her volleyball coaches. This school has taught her morals and self confidence. The 4th-8th grades have been especially wonderful for my child. The principal and new administration do leave a lot to be desired. They are incompetent at best. However the teachers and aides make up for it.

Posted July 24, 2011

I pulled my children out of this school due to the lack of accountability by the staff and teachers. The staff neglected concerns of bullying and rarely followed the curriculum as expressed in their school policies.There was no access to the Principle when concerns arose. This school has a very small town mentality. Very large fish in a very small pond. They lacked the necessary understanding in child development to be able to interact and communicate information affectively to the children. The children are made to think they are always the problem. Families are pulling their kids out by the numbers. Stay away.

Posted May 21, 2011

I have been involved with St. Catherine of Alexandria School for six years and know it to be a great school. The wonderful family atmosphere compliments the excellent academic program. Along with the challenging instruction in the core subjects, St. Catherine of Alexandria School has an excellence science, and music program. Every student in grades K-8 receives music lessons which includes two levels of band and choir in the upper grades. There is also a Summer Music Academy! You will not find are more well rounded program in the area.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 24, 2011

Our children have been at St. Catherine's for four years now and we have been extremely happy. We are happy with the education, science, sports, computers, etc. We have liked all of the teachers. We have recommended this school to others in the past and will continue to do so.

Posted December 26, 2009

This is a great school with a great curriculum (including lab science, computer science, sports, foreign language, and a phenomenal music program), along with a responsive and dedicated teaching staff and a supportive parent body.

Posted December 10, 2009

St.Catherine of Alexandria is the best school ever!!!!! The teachers are awsome and they help us alot. The enviornment is unbelievably great the teachers offer help everyday and we are always taught to have good morals.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 29, 2009

I am proud to send my child to this school. The teachers are excellent in challenging the students to achieve their very best. I have been a parent here for 5 years and went through all the changes with the school. We have an awesome staff all around. No where you go is going to be perfect and you have to keep in mind parents are the primary educators. The standard of education is remarkable and our graduating classes seem to greatly succeed in taking honors and AP classes in high school (I have friends with children who have graduated within the last 5 years from the school.) I love this school and wouldn't send my child anywhere else.

Posted February 19, 2009

I love this school!!!! I am a student from there!!! and this school is awesome!!! I love the teachers that teach there and it rocks my world!!! I want my kids someday to go to St. Catherines!!! St. Catherines is the best school ever!!! It may have its ups and downs but it is awesome!!! I do beleive that the tuition is pretty high but it is a great school!!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 28, 2008

I am a student at St. Catherines and have been going there since the third grade and i am now in seventh grade. i have loved this school and i think it has tought me very much! the teachers there rock! i highly recommend this school!

Posted March 5, 2008

St. Catherines is a beautiful school from the outside but has real issues going on, on the inside. We have had far to many teachers come and go in the last 2yrs.

Posted January 6, 2008

I feel St. Caherine, Riverside is the best Catholic school around.I addition to teaching the required subjects,what it focuses mainly on is catholic faith. Schools like St Catherine teaches the importance of Jesus and the Scraments to my child. At this school she is taught how to be respectful to others,obey the rules, and to love the lord. Parents who diss the school should remember the reason why they enrolled their child in a Catholic school in the fisrt place.Remember Catholicism is NOT taught in public schools.

Ethnicity This school
Black 1%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Health & athletics

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Mr. Richard Howick
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Library
  • Music room
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of San Bernardino

• Choir / Chorus

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7025 Brockton Avenue