Sierra Elementary School

Public | K-6

Posted October 8, 2012

My daughter went there here enitire 1-6th grade years. She just started middle school. This is great school with wonderful teachers and a great education.

Posted May 30, 2012

My kids and I LOVE this school! We moved here from out of state 3 years ago. I have a child in Kinder and another in 3rd grade. The teachers here are awesome! The principal is both kind and professional. There are plenty of opportunities for parents to become involved as well. The teachers really welcome it. I am also a big fan of the IB program and the Spanish programs. Sierra Elementary feels more like a family to me than a school. It's really fantastic!

Posted November 2, 2011

with 2 kids attending this school for the past 4 years I can say that this school is an excellent school. I love the IB, Vapa and other programs that other schools cannot afford. I believe the teachers are great, treating the kids fair. i like the push in different areas (AR, AM ...) The teachers involving the kids in different social activities is awsome. And on the con side, the office staff could be a little more friendly. Never had problems, but I got that feeling that if you don't look a certain way they kind of look down on you. I only give 4 stars because they're doing a lot of fundraisings and they're monetary excpectatins are kind of high for our budget. We have 3 kids in school and we only stay in the area for the school. Otherwise we cannot afford to live in this area. I belive overall is a very good school. My kids love it, they love their teachers and they do not want to go to another school. and that is all that matters to me.

Posted September 3, 2011

I wasn't referring to your original post regarding being treated like a "second rate citizen". I was responding to someone else and also suggested to that person that she should speak to the principal. I'm sorry your child feels that way because I know that no teacher at Sierra would want that.

Posted September 2, 2011

I never said my child was unhappy at Sierra Elementary, nor did I say we felt like "second class citizens". I was simply stating my observation as a parent and what I have seen take place over the last 3 years. My child has accepted the fact that children related to teachers are treated differently. These are her words. She sees what goes on in the classroom and at school functions. I don't feel the need to address this with the principal, I would prefer to keep my child's identity anonymous. It's hard enough just being a kid now a days. I would prefer not to get caught up in school politics. She is here to get an education and make friendships.

Posted June 9, 2011

From the first day that I tried to enroll my daughter into this school I received a strong feeling got unwholesomeness. We are a mutli racial family recently down graded from a upper middle income family to a middle income family and we were in my opinion treated as if we were second class citizens. After having a one on one conversation with the principal I was left feeling empty, disgraced and disrespected. She spoke to me as if I were completely an invalid without ever having received my college degree from a highly accredited college. Or even a high school diploma for that matter. I have fought very hard to keep my daughter inspired because I believe in the IB program itself. Yet I do not believe that the office staff was present on the day when the class was taught on hospitality. How every child should be treated equally no matter what their parents financial background is or the color of their skin.

Posted June 9, 2011

WOW, I'm surprised to see some of the recent reviews. We've just completed our first year (kindergarten) at Sierra and only have insight as to our current teacher and the small dealings with staff that I've had, but I've been pleased with our experience. Our teacher is WONDERFUL and the office staff/principal have been supportive and helpful. I see children laughing and smiling each day when I drop off/pick up, just as you'd expect to see at any school. Our entire neighborhood sends their children to Sierra and every family has expressed positive experiences at Sierra Elementary. My ONLY complaint, so far, is the junk food that other parents provide as snacks for our class! I'd much rather send a snack myself or see the parents pay closer attention to ingredients lists and remove the high fructose corn syrup/hydrogenated oils/large amounts of sugar. I'm giving the school a 4 star rating because it's our first year and the K students only attend 3 hours a day. I'll write another next year during or after first grade.

Posted January 27, 2011

After having a student there for several years and volunteering through the years, I am qualified to say that this school is NOT a good school. The parents are phony, the teachers are lifeless and the kids are in the crossffire. Reading goals are the main focus. When the bell rings and the kids are dismissed there are few smiles and no laughter from the kids, API scores are great, but walk the grounds of the school and you will see children that lack the spark that HAPPY children have.

Posted October 12, 2010

The teaching staff and principal are the best ever, the students are wonderful, bright and outstanding and the parents are great contributors in every aspect making Sierra Elementary a wonderful learning environment for its students and for future students to come!!

Posted May 11, 2010

This school recently went through their IB inspection and will probably move up next year from a IB candidate school to a full fledged IB school. I am thrilled that my daughter gets to attend one of handful of school in CA offering the IB PYP program.

Posted May 9, 2010

This school is fantastic! They are an IB school with a wonderful, caring principal and faculty. A great sense of community and lots of parental involvement.

Posted March 15, 2010

Fantastic school, I couldn't ask for better for my daughter. She has attended for six years, and loves it there. The teachers are outstanding, the staff is helpful and they all know the kids. It is very family oriented and open to all. The kids feel at home there, and they make it great for the parents there too! Love it!!!!!

Posted December 19, 2008

My children love Sierra Elementary, their teachers, classmates, and the schoolyard. When teachers are afforded the opportunity to move-up with their students and/or maintain combined classes, retaining student-teacher relationships, the child-teacher-parent bond and trust is strengthened. A strong trust lends itself to discovery of personal tastes, reinforces the notion of making good choices, and helps build positive learning habits and higher self-esteem. A strong student-teacher bond helps alleviate perceived fears and anxieties. Although learning the nuances and subtle expectations of a new teacher can be a good exercise, it can be a hindrance to a young child who needs nurturing before discipline. Sierra Elementary with its accelerated reading program and adaptive teaching methods brings the positive old fashion school experiences of the mid 20th century right into the Digital Internet Age. The 'Shark Tank' is a great place to learn and grow.

Posted September 5, 2008

I think that Sierra has some of the most compassionate teachers around. From the office staff to the teachers, they all work together to ensure that the students follow the disciplines of learning, community and self. I love the AR program as it incents my daughter to read more. The school promotes family involvement with the AR program through using the Family Reading night. I LOVE THIS SCHOOL!

Posted April 12, 2008

The principal is really nice, but seems to care too much about the numbers. The reading program 'AR' is shoved down the kids throats. Which doesn't seem to encourage reading instead it encourages them to make their goals (for the numbers and the 'oh so wonderful 'Word O Meter')'. For punishment, children are left out of activities for not making their reading goals. There is no sense of community between the teachers. Parents are only willing to help their teachers which leaves the PTC struggling to meet the demanding needs of the school. There is way too much teaching to the test. The school would funcion better if they would quit worrying about how they look.

Posted January 30, 2008

The principal is wonderful and the staff seems very professional and welcoming. Some teachers use a punishment and reward system (ie. pulling cards, tickets etc.) which I find disconerting. (Recommended reading: Punished by Rewards by Alfie Kohn). I also see too much teaching to the test and not enough child centered learning.

Posted December 24, 2006

You think this school is great now, (IT IS!)....but it's only going to get better. Check out the program at www.ibp.org.

Posted February 17, 2006

Excellent school with a small town feel. The principle knows the kids by name. Lots of parental involvement. Amazing test scores.

Posted August 25, 2005

Excellent teachers and beautiful school.

Posted April 20, 2005

Absolutely TOP quality California school. We had a special needs child attend this school when Cobblestone elementary refused to include him fully in a kindergarten classroom. He did need some special attention, and Sierra provided this and more. The secretaries were wonderful and friendly, the kindergarten teachers were so kind, the special needs teacher bent over backwards to help our son. My son attended kindergarten only in the 2001-2002 school year. The school building itself is beautiful. If you have a special needs child, Sierra elementary will treat your child with love and respect.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

3 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

3 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students60%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 10%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6811 Camborne Way