Rocklin Academy At Meyers Street

Charter | K-6 | 186 students

School Official Point of View

Posted March 14, 2009

As the principal of Rocklin Academy Meyers, I would like to respond to the post dated March 10, 2009. I am always available and most happy to speak with parents regarding any concerns or questions they may have about our school, our curriculum, or the needs of our students. Rocklin Academy Meyers is a public, tuition-free charter school based on Rocklin Academy Turnstone, the highest-performing school in Placer County. Both Rocklin Academy Meyers and Rocklin Academy Turnstone are open to all students. If a class is oversubscribed, a lottery process is used and then a waiting list is created for each grade level. Our kindergarten through third grade classes have twenty students per classroom and fourth grade has thirty students. Next year we will add a fifth grade class in which thirty students will be enrolled, and in the 2010-2011 school year we will add a sixth grade class, also with thirty students. Our class sizes are the same as or smaller than other schools in the local area. Rocklin Academy Turnstone serves grades K-6. A newly-approved charter school, Western Sierra Collegiate Academy (WSCA), is slated to open in 2009-2010 with grades 7-9. Rocklin Academy Meyers is located at a comparatively older and more traditional campus which we share with Rocklin Elementary School. It is well-maintained and the grounds and classrooms are extremely safe, clean, neat, and inviting. We have a large playground and a field for recess and P.E, and students are provided with all necessary educational resources, including a computer lab, library, books, and various supplementary materials. Each one of our classrooms is equipped, and has been since the first day of school, with functioning heat and air conditioning. In addition to the California Standards and Benchmarks, we teach the internationally-recognized Core Knowledge curriculum. This rich course of study includes in-depth studies of history and geography, grammar, literature and poetry, science, mathematics, art, and music. Core Knowledge is based upon the 4 S s- the idea that a viable curriculum should be: Sequenced, with knowledge that builds upon what has been learned in previous grade levels Solid, in other words, relevant and lasting Specific, so that exactly which people, events, ideas, and movements to be learned are defined Shared, to ensure that students become familiar with a broad range of knowledge which they will be expected to know to be productive, successful citizens Rocklin Academy has a culture of Collaborative Inquiry in which grade-level teams of teachers continuously utilize data to evaluate student achievement, develop strategies to address areas of academic need, and re-assess students to determine if progress has been made. We are dedicated to ensuring that all students learn at high levels and reach their full potential. I ask that parents contact me with any questions or concerns. Parent partnership is a key component of the foundation of Rocklin Academy and working together, we will ensure that our students receive the best educational experience possible. Mary Decker Principal Rocklin Academy Meyers

Posted Monday, September 15, 2014

Rocklin Academy Meyers has turned out to be a wonderful & welcome surprise for our family! Our children are excited and enthusiastic about going to school and completing homework! This was never the case at their former school. I have read some other posts and I can honestly say that I have not witnessed any type of "catering to Spec Ed" children in any way whatsoever. In fact, I've only witnessed lots of very bright children completing above-average work with much success- thanks to phenomenal teachers (and excellent support staff). We are continually amazed at how organized this school is run and how they are diligent in their efforts to communicate daily with parents. ONLY negative is campus is not "pretty" to look at- WE DON'T CARE! The LEARNING is our top priority and that is clearly and positively demonstrated in our children's work as well as the school's ranking/testing. Ignore the "naysayers"! You won't regret it! Also...we are more concerned with our children's education than whether or not we are "buddies" with office staff. Priorities, people! :)

Posted March 21, 2014

Rocklin Academy Meyers is a wonderful school and I am so grateful that I found it and that my children are enrolled. Ignore the other recent posts by a group of disgruntled parents who were unable to influence/control the principal to their benefit. My children are far ahead of their peers that attend other schools in areas of academics, behavior, and in maturity. The teachers truly care about the success of each student. Those that need more advanced work get it; some kids are doing math 2 grade levels ahead of their grade. Those that need extra help get it also. Lots of parental support and involvement make the school a great place for the kids. The principal and staff are also amazing. There is no mystery why there are HUNDREDS kids on their waiting list to get in. My family's experience has been nothing but wonderful.

Posted October 2, 2013

Unfriendly, inflexible, and in my opinion they are not at all concerned about what is best for their students. My student was bored at this school. The curriculum is subpar. TV programing was used regularly in the classroom as a teaching tool. Very unsatisfactory experience. The staff was rude and made condescending comments about the fact that they have high scores and that hundreds of parents are dying to get their kids into the school. Basically they don't have to work with the parents because there are hundreds of students waiting to replace yours. I pulled my student. My son is attending a local school and loving it.

Posted June 7, 2013

After many years at Rocklin Academy my family left. The school has definitely taken a turn for the worst. As other reviewers said, RA is now catering to Spec Ed families. The advance curriculum has been greatly effected by the constant disruptions and behaviors of children whose spec needs are not being met by the school. Although the school accepts students with extra school needs, they DO NOT meet those needs well and it causes huge issues in the classroom. These issues have been reported the administration continuously, but they do not care. The financial struggles of this organization have Caused the school to lose focus on curriculum and instead desperately try to do anything to bring in more funding. Their parent partnership attitude is gone. They like parents who work for free, but do not want opinions on their school or to hear any of your concerns. They truly believe that their wait list of students will sustain this school. If you have an issue there are kids waiting to replace you. Good luck if you choose this school.

Posted May 31, 2013

Be very careful with this school. The teachers, office staff, and principal show favoritism. The "favorites" can get away with multiple tardies with no repercussions. Back in 2009, Rocklin Unified School District had concerns about renewing Rocklin Academy's charter because of the lack of special ed students. Unfortunately, now the parents of the special ed students run the school and their kids can do no wrong. There have been multiple instances where the classroom setting was disrupted and the student involved remains in the classroom. Multiple complaints have been made to the principal and the superintendent. But there has been no action taken by the administration. Some families have opted to leave because it has gotten so bad. On a positive note, there are some good teachers at this school. Unfortunately, because they are "at-will" employees, they can not speak up for themselves and are afraid to confront the administration. If you decide to go to this school, be sure to keep a close eye on what is going on in your child's classroom and don't be afraid to take your concerns all the way to the RAFOS Board of Directors or the Rocklin Unified School District Board.

Posted January 18, 2011

I cannot say enough great things about Rocklin Academy, Meyers! The excellent teachers, friendly front office staff, and strong leadership from the principal have all made our decision to come to this school the right one. Sure we have a great neighborhood school, but Rocklin Academy takes learning to another level! With state budget cuts, it's sad that we lost our foreign language program, but these cuts were made across the board in Rocklin public schools. It was great that class size remained the same, despite increase across Rocklin Unified schools. Again, we are so happy that our child was accepted in the lottery--we wouldn't dream about going elsewhere.

Posted January 18, 2011

This school has the academics that I want for my children. In a regular public school, "no child left behind" also means no child gets ahead. At RA, if your kid is a math wiz or excels in writing - they can move ahead. My kids get far more from the science and social studies program than at any public school. The curriculum is top notch. Having been there from the beginning, I have never seen an inordinate amount of time spent 'training' for STAR testing; only info on how to take it, and filling in the bubbles correctly. I DO wish we had smaller class sizes and foreign language. As for the staff, I guess they could be nicer, but they are there to do a job, not be friends with the parents. I have never once had trouble seeing the principal when I needed to. There is no assistant Principal, so she has a lot to do as does the limited staff we have. We don't always see eye to eye, but I always get to say my peace. The bottom line is that my kids are getting so much more from RA than they would be in our neighborhood school. I love too, that I get to be as involved as I choose to be, in ways that I choose to be.

Posted October 11, 2010

I was on the waiting list for RA and was accepted. I have to say that I am already disappointed that my child is attending this Charter School. The Office Staff is VERY unfriendly and the principal is ALWAYS unavailble. Thinking about pulling my child out to attend home school as I feel this was a HUGE mistake.

Posted March 28, 2010

I had a child that was homeschooled for several years before deciding to fill out an admission form for Rocklin Academy. I have to admit that my child learned much more from being homeschooled. My child is not being as challenged and is bored with school. Will homeschool next year.

Posted December 19, 2009

This is a wonderful school. My daughter goes to this school for last 3 years, we really love the school and their focus and objectives. This is a school for kids who likes to study . If you want to be focused on academics, this the right school for you. We like the principal and the teachers. The proncipal is the best . Before going to Rocklin academy my daughter was going to a public school . Rocklin academy made a big difference for her, mainly the corricullum and the way they teach. Now she excells in math,english,history and geography.

Posted August 17, 2009

I've been terribly disappointed. Although CORE knowledge is the reason why we decided to attend, the emphasis and preparation on the Academic Performance Index (API) is too high. Likewise, the math and reading program is no different than any elementary school in the surrounding areas. Parents beware, API only measures how well children are taught to take a test, and how well they have been prepared for it. It's NOT a measure of the school's actual ability to educate. My advise? Fall in love with your neighborhood school BEFORE you look into RA-you'll be happy you don't drive so far for something you can find down the street.

Posted March 18, 2009

Our child attended a public school in another district for a couple of years. He thrived at the top of his class both years, yet the teacher feedback was always, I have to constantly think of ways to challenge your child. I knew that he wasn t learning at his fullest capacity with their curriculum, and the school fell short at meeting his academic needs. He became uninterested in school. Thankfully we were accepted into RA, and could not be more pleased. The invigorating Core Knowledge curriculum, taught by the compassionate teachers, has not only met my son s academic needs, he has also regained his enthusiasm for learning. The efficient communication from the teachers and administration make us feel welcomed and supported in our child s academic growth. We are thrilled to be a part of RA knowing that as parents we have made the right choice to help our child succeed.

Posted March 13, 2009

This school is wonderful. Our child is thriving in the rich academic environment provided. He loves geography, history, Spanish and science. Last year it was a struggle to get him out the door. He also is enjoying Spanish Club and thought Mad Science after school was great. We are fortunate that he was picked via the lottery. It is great to have this choice in our community. A bonus was a front row seat in Sacramento to hear the Governer and Captain Sully speak. The teachers are wonderful. Keep up the great work RA!

Posted March 10, 2009

Charter schools in general are supposed to better educate our children. The benefits are smaller class sizes, rigorous academic studies, and a better developed curriculum giving students a better education than they would have going to their base schools in the district. This school has failed. They have added more students to my child's class than the standard class size would be at any other district elementary school without achieving the academic progress needed for their original students who began attending since the beginning of the year. Their goal is to extend their school curriculum to a junior high level for the Turnstone campus. The curriculum is not benefiting the children in any way. I do not see comparable progress with other district schools. The school site itself is quite run down and there has been no heat in my child's classroom since the beginning of the year.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

n/a

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 7%N/AN/A
English language learners 3%N/AN/A
Source: CA Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

5035 Meyers Street