Western Sierra Collegiate Academy 2

Posted October 05, 2013
As a former three-year student of Western Sierra, I have seen the school's ups and downs over the years. The school is a safe learning environment that really pushes each student beyond normal HS curriculum. The teachers (even some that have been layed-off) are excellent at what they do, and the counselor is AMAZING! I personally would not have survived this school without her. Now for the downside. Though I have seen the great teachers and have learned a lot at WSCA (including a few life lessons), I have also seen many administration "flops" and cover-ups by the staff (usually about teachers who have mysteriously disappeared). There are also those amongst the staff that almost seem to go out of their way to try to ruin your day (usually with a sour attitude no matter how nicely you try and talk to them). I have also witnessed (first-hand) unfair treatment of the students, such as the school expecting perfect attendance when classes are doing absolutely NOTHING (during the last week of school). Honestly, do you really expect that kids will show-up if you have nothing for them to do? This school (minus the counselor and teachers) has lost it's respect from me.

Western Sierra Collegiate Academy 5

Posted July 06, 2013
I have been going to Western Sierra for several years, and it has been absolutely AMAZING. The environment is really more like a big family than a school. The academics are challenging, but the teachers are so supportive and friendly and they're always happy to help. We also have so many awesome sports programs (basketball, cross country, track and field, both boys' and girls' volleyball, soccer, running club, and even more soon!), and they're getting better and better every year. I'm really excited about the new electives we'll have this year, including graphic arts, which will be really cool. I know some people have commented in the past saying bad things about this school, but it has really changed and grown a lot. We've doubled in size since last year and we have lots of awesome sports programs, clubs, academic teams, and class choices. The academics are challenging, but totally doable if you work hard and get help from your teachers when you need it. I am so excited about this coming year and to see what amazing things we'll accomplish, and I would never want to go to high school anywhere else.

Western Sierra Collegiate Academy 5

Posted June 11, 2013
My son completed 7th and 8th at WSCA and will be attending for high school as well. He actually said he was going to miss school over the summer! Great teachers, students, good size -- big enough that there's a group for everyone, but not overwhelmingly large. Strong academics ... many AP courses, all students expected to succeed with scaffolding to back it up, including the opportunity to re-take tests, advisory and enrichment periods for extra help and homework. A good variety of activities for the school of the size, great parent involvement. We love it.

Posted April 14, 2013
As a student at WSCA I don't think it's as bad as a lot of the other students make it seem. I've been here since it first started and I've never been too interested in sports but we have teams. I'm in yearbook and we have covered pictures for HS girls soccer, HS/MS girls and boys volleyball, HS/MS girls and boys basketball, track and field plus cheer. In academics, I know the MS has been doing moot court since I also took pictures of that in yearbook. My AP English and Literature/AP U.S. History teacher is absolutely amazing. I don't doubt that I will pass the AP exams coming up. I've never been too good in math but my Pre-Cal teacher makes everything seem so much more easier. Science isn't as interesting to me but my class still continues to do well and I really enjoy my art class. The school is continuing to expand the choices of what classes students will be able to take in the upcoming years and I feel glad that my younger siblings will be able to have more choices. Students complain about WSCA being too hard at times but if a student does poorly it isn't completely the school/teachers fault. Even if the staff approaches the student, that student also has to do their part.

Posted February 01, 2013
This school is great for a studious, non-athletic student. However, my daughter insisted on attending because of her best friend. Well, she has never been a studious kid. So, I'm letting her finish up eighth grade, then off to another Rocklin High School. Hopefully, she will be motivated and encouraged to study harder. I have tried at home, to no avail. I requested a SST from the school, and I am still waiting for it. My daughter may not best student, but she isn't stupid. She does not test well. They do have academic advisory where she gets help from a great gal, but I would like for them to assess her. She is very smart and has been a U.S.F.S. Figure Skater as well as an accomplished equestrian. I am hoping she gets more attention at a NON-CHARTER Rocklin unified school.

Posted January 31, 2013
I am the author of an earlier 5 star post, entitled, "To begin with, I am impossible to please..." Well, I wish I could still be as glowing, but I cannot. I can't tell everything in the 991 characters remaining, so in summary: lost the great science teacher & the other physics teacher. Changes are made with no warning to or input from students. Still some amazingly great teachers, but also some very not-great ones. Worst: no attempt to compete scholastically. No Math/Science Oly., no Acad. Decat., no moot court...absolutely nothing students so desperately need for college. They'll probably sort this out, but fat lot of good that does the students there now. They haven't even held the first half award ceremony yet. These are some of the nicest kids you'll ever meet, but being in Rocklin, there is a VERY right wing bent, too much for me. I do like the office location, and I like the schedule, although I wish there was in-classroom auditing. Most teachers can use the 90 minutes effectively, but some do not. In summary, I am opting to finish the 9th grade year here, because her math, English and Chinese teachers all deserve the highest praise. Next year will be elsewhere.

Posted October 05, 2012
This school has doubled in size within one year, so yes there are growing pains. But, it proves to me that parents are looking for an alternative to education.WSCA DOES prep you for college, and that is one major thing I love about this school. My children feel safe, happy and challenged (not bored). It feels more like a family with parental involvement and more acceptance of others. It does lack in activities (football team, sports, etc.) but it is working on improving that.Very pleased with my choice to send my students to WSCA!

Posted May 11, 2012
WSCA is a great 7-12 middle/high school. My daughter has been attending for 3 years - since they opened and it has really been a wonderful choice for her! The teachers are amazing - they really care for the students and work hard to help them reach their academic goals. They have a strong administration and though most extracurricular activites are run by the parent volunteers - they have many options for the students. For a small school, they offer 2 foreign languages - Spanish and Mandarin. The academics are challenging. The best thing about this school is that the teachers and administration work very diligently to ensure every child learns. If they fall behind, they work to help them catch up.

Posted April 25, 2012
We took a chance on WSCA when it first opened. It was the best decision we made for our daughter. We wanted a private school feel, challenging curriculum in a small class environment and got it. We wanted the teachers to be approachable and on top of how "our" child was doing and got it. We wanted a safe, inclusive environment and got it. Now does this mean there haven't been growing pains in the school or challenges, absolutely not but WSCA and the staff rise to the challenges and learn from them all. The level of parent participation is amazing! No school is perfect but as long as my child is happy, getting a wonderul and challenging education and feels safe what more could I ask for?

Posted April 16, 2012
WSCA has shown the ability to adapt to numerous challenges facing an ever-changing environment for a relatively young school. As a natural progression from Rocklin Academy, my family believes it is the best all-around school for our student. Short on sports is a drawback and yet we believe this will be addressed next year.

Western Sierra Collegiate Academy
660 Menlo Drive, Rocklin, CA  95765
Last modified Western Sierra Collegiate Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Western Sierra Collegiate Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews.