Bad
Good

Why is it the kids hardly are at school any more! Every other week it is "late start day" - they go to school at 9:30 am & still leave by 2pm, if it's not holiday or some kind of break, it is "student free day", plus they constantly get dismissed early for open house, usually on a Thursday which is street sweeping day! Since there is never adequate parking for parents picking up kids, some of us invariably end up parking on the street & get parking tickets!!! My kid is in 3rd grade there now, but we notice that we are not notified of academic problems until AFTER the kids are WAAAAAAY behind, even tho we met with the teacher (and last year even with the principal) so we can be kept up to date on how our kid is doing. Apparently they are a "lighthouse school" in the "Leader in Me" program but how are they going to be great leaders if they can't read or do proper math?????

WOW what a year and transformation this school has taken! Ever since Mr. Cardenas became principal and applied the 7 Habit leadership program, the school has turned for the better. There is more parental involvement, student pride, and teachers are being help more accountable. Keep up the wonderful job JANSON!

I am a teacher at this school and I can proudly say that Janson has improved so much over the years. We have more parent involvement and student involvement than ever before. We teach Franklin Covey's 7 Habits and it really has made a difference in the students attitudes and behavior! We have been awarded the title of a Lighthouse school by Covey and we were the first on the west coast.

I have a graduating 6th grader at this school. The only problem is that the students don't receive enough math time. They only learn 150 min ( 3 days) math time a week. I don't think it's sufficient for this level and the historical results of the 6th Grade CST reflect the insufficiency. Just don't be fooledl by just looking at the surface of the statistic. Look carefully into the poorest performance of the subgroup! Since Math & Language Art are the core curriculum, especially at the 6th grade, the students should be prepared properly, so they can transition into different environment in middle school.

Janson school is a great school. However, not just Janson but all schools do not teach to learn they teach to take the CST or Star testing. This is a huge mistake. Teachers are there to assist students in learning actual material not to teach how to take a test. Teachers also do not encourage parent involvement. Parent involvement is critical at the grammer school level. During those precious years a child does not mind if their parents come to school. After 6th grade kids really do not want their child around. So parent involvement is benefits the child and parent along with the teacher. REC after school program is awesome.

My daughter is attending this school and she is in Kinder for 2009-2010. She enjoy the activities in school but as a parent I feel that the school is not as active as the other school. I think we can do so much more to improve the school academically and more support from teachers and parents. I give props to the teachers- they are doing a great job. But !!!! please at least have time to update the Janson website. The schedules posted was dated 2007 and it's already 2010...so simple things like this can help the school. Us parents just want the best education possible for our kids !!!!

My daughter has done very well at this school. I feel that it is a safe environment. Last yr was her first yr there and she loved it. Everyone is friendly and helpful.

Janson is a very good school. It has begun to have sports. In the mornings on Mondays they have a weekly assembelies. They pass out certificates to students who have done well and was positive. I believe that people who have been going to Janson are lucky. The teachers do their best to help the students succeed in their work.

This school has a lack of outdoors sports and not much social/gathering events for students nor the parents.

Personally my opinion is I feel a great sense of disappointment for the children and parents and staff of this school. There is a lack of interest, support, and communication from the principal. We enjoyed being involved in our school activities for many years. He has taken the enjoyment out of being a involved parent.

Last modified Mildred B. Janson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.