Bad
Good

Very disappointed!! My daughter got a very bad 1st and 4th grade teachers.She is an outstanding student but was discouraged most of the time and was getting yelled at by her 4th grade teacher when asked clarifications on any subjects. She is an old teacher who needs to frankly retire and not capable enough to teach 4th and 5th split. She didn't even have certificates ready to give out on the last day of school assembly. She was stressed all the time in the classroom that stressed kids especially the anxious kids. Very demotivating! Unwelcoming classroom teacher that I have ever seen! On the other hand Mr. Swisley is an AWESOME teacher. He needs to be rewarded the BEST TEACHER OF THE YEAR!! This school is very political and has a bad leadership. Best teachers in the school that my daughter had are Mrs. Irvine (who moved to Junction elementary) and Mr. Swisley. Teachers are suppose to make a difference in a child's life. If you are not that kind of a teacher at least don't discourage and demotivate the kids.

Very disappointed!! Could not disagree with the previous comments. Kids have done extreme hard work through out the year and did not even get a simple certificate. That shows the teacher did not do her job. Retire is simpler word. I leave it up to the school to decide what to do in future if they have to keep students interested in the school.

Love this school! Mrs. Roberts and Mrs. Dyas are amazing and my child is thriving!

I had high hopes for this school but unfortunately I was dissapointed. I agree with the last review. The staff members are very rude. Especially that older lady with the strong foreign accent. She is just RUDE! Never says hi, thank you, welcome. Def. makes you feel like she is doing you a favor by being there! Although I must say, Michelle is sweet and cordial. Regarding the teachers, I can say some are horrible and some are ok. So your child has to be lucky. If you child is a slow learner beware! They are almost abandoned to the corner of the class all day. This seems to be happening very often as I have seen it with different classrooms.

Bad customer service :( I recently moved and my home school is Catheryn Gates. I came to enroll my kids. As moment I walked in the office I felt unwelcomed. The staff in the front desk are rude and unfriendly. I felt that if I was treated this way kids would be treated even worst. I rather drive 30 minutes and take them to school where they would receive love and care and great education. The way I see is if you can't work in the front desk with people then your place is in warehouse with boxes.

I have a third child going through Gates, I also have adult children in their late twenties who attended Private Christian School. I am very thankful that academically, there is very little difference. I really enjoyed working with Mrs. Baichtal and was saddened to see her go but I am sure our new principal will be great too and I am looking forward to an awesome fun filled school year and meeting other like minded parents who love getting involved with their childrens education.

I love this school and feel blessed my son attends Gates. I would have given 5 stars BUT they seem to do little about all of parents who don't follow the parking/loop rules. There is usually a staff member standing out in the loop area everyday, BUT rarely do anything! Some parents do not pull up as far as they should (leaving many cars backed up on the street) and I feel the staff member should be motioning for people to pull up farther, NOT get out of their cars, etc!!! But they just stand there.. and many lame parents insist on turning in the wrong direction, making even more traffic on the street. If Gates would start doing something about traffic issues, I would be happy to give a 5 star rating.. Gates is great!

Gates is the best school with the best teachers and an awesome principle.

I use to be very involved at Gates, but because of its politics and how the school is run like a dictatorship and not a democracy is so unfortunant. I have learned in all my years with the Roseville City School District that parents 'concerns' are viewed as complaints and if you don't like the way the school is ran, your told to find a different school. Thank goodness my students for the most part have been fortunant enough to of had good teachers. With all the support Gates gets from parents like myself you would think we would be treated better.

Good test scores. Most of the teachers differentiate their teaching. Children are recognized for reading and it can be very competitive. Some of the kids get 1000+ points. What parent doesn't love that type of competition! Finally a competition where everyone wins. The school recently got Accelerated Math which also challenges the kids. Concerns about the principal are valid but she is new to the job and will hopefully become more comfortable dealing with parents concerns.

Last modified Catheryn Gates Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.