St. John's School

Private | PK-9 | 216 students

Living in Roseville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $285,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,270.

Sweep tile

Posted April 26, 2012

This school was not for my child. I felt the facility did not have shade and confort in the Summer and the teachers were demeaning and actually made the children cry at times with strong, unrealistic expectations. The strict style of the teachers was not for our family and the price increases left me looking for other care for my child.

Posted December 14, 2011

Expected more of a private school. Disappointed. It's a safe environment for kids. Curriculum is average. Teach the standards and nothing beyond. If you believe in homework, you will be disappointed. Less than an hour per night, usually 15-20 minutes. If your child is advanced, they will be bored. Made me wonder if teachers knew how to relate and communicate with kids rather than being dictatorial. Ethnic diversity is lacking. Had the feeling that too many parents had their kids enrolled for the "status" of private school. The last comment about "getting a life" is a very Christian-like value I guess. That parent just spoke volumes about the school. My child is now in public school and to my surprise, it was a dramatic step forward. 2-3 hours of homework, extremely challenging work for a very smart child. And despite a much larger class size, my child has adapted quite well. There is a purpose for this school. I don't think it is for those looking for high educational learning but rather more personalized learning and a disciplined environment. I have no regrets. It was a good decision at the time.

Posted August 15, 2011

Over the past five years St. John's School has gone through tremendous growth. Under the leadership of Paul Hancock the school has become a true independent school. This guy knows what independent schools are all about. The environment is nurturing, the academics challenging, and the overall tone of the school is accepting and inclusive. The teachers are responsive to student and parental concerns. Unfortunately, the poor economy in California has delayed and most probably ended the hopes of building a new campus. However, under the leadership of the Board of Trustees and the headmaster there are two wonderful possibilities for St. John's that will be long term if not permanent. Parents who grumble about tuition increases and lack of values at the school need to get a life. Send your kids to the local public school. Five stars.

Posted July 5, 2011

I had high hopes for this school when my children first began attending. However, I pulled them out after paying increasing tuition costs every year just to see this school compare itself and students to surrounding public schools. Also, there's something fishy happening now. The school has been talking about relocating to its new facility for years, but construction of the facility has come to a standstill. Now I hear they are thinking of relocating to an office building in the middle of the 2011/2012 school year. Red flags, anyone?

Posted June 1, 2011

I have listed on here a 5 star review of the school. Unfortunately things have changed. The very thing that made the school strong and a great environment is being pushed out of the school. The heart of the school is gone and I would have to change my 5 star rating to a no star rating. If I had a child there I would pull them out immediately!

Posted March 25, 2010

St. John's has been a great place for my twins. I really appreciate the teacher's and as a public school teacher I feel they are getting a great education. They spend the money on the children, therefore, we are receiving a great education - well rounded!!! Love this school!

Posted March 1, 2010

Our child has been at St. John's for 4 years, and has really grown as a student. The discipline is honest and fair, and the teachers are well qualified.

Posted January 6, 2010

We never thought that a private school could be this awful, the teachers are terrible. They seem like first year teachers that really don't know what the're doing, they don't communicate with the parents, the're not professional and are not held to any standards. If you want a school where 7th graders are aloud to kiss and curse, this is it, we don't find this acceptable.

Posted September 20, 2009

I have finished sending one child to SJCS and my second sone is there now. I think this is a great school to have your kids in. They are given so much individual attention and they are not neglected. I love this little hidden school.

Posted September 9, 2009

I am an involved parent at St. John's school, having volunteered at nearly every opportunity. My child is an A student. This school is trying hard to emulate Christian values and high academic standards. However, many of their discipline policies stray far from Christian teachings. Furthermore, the administration does not welcome opposing views. Some of the parent teacher interactions we've experienced have been unprofessional and discouraging.

Posted July 23, 2009

We are going into our second year at St. John's. We have been very pleased. The parents really care about making St. John a great place. The teachers are highly qualified and seem to go the extra mile. If I could change anything it would be to add some consistency to the discipline so that it is the same from class to class and grade to grade. I would like to see a little more positive reinforcement as part of the discipline program as well. The leadership and staff have been great! There seems to be a strong sense of vision for where the school is going in the future. As they add extra curricular activities this school will be 5 out 5. They are getting sports programs going and have an outstanding Spanish program that is part of the curriculum. We hope to see the school continue through high school.

Posted March 24, 2009

We are in our 11th year at the school and my daughter will be graduating 8th grade this May. It has been a wonderful education. My daughter has excelled academically while also learning to respect others. Because of these wonderful teachers she loves science, math and writing. I have watched a shy little girl mature into an amazing young lady. I couldn't have done it without the wonderful faculty and staff. This is more than a school it is a family.

Posted March 16, 2009

Great School with excellent faculty. Great sports program

Posted August 30, 2008

We're new to this school this year, but from what we've seen it's excellent. My daughter is very happy, staff, headmaster give the children and parents a sense of belonging

Posted March 28, 2008

After researching private schools for more than two years in the greater Roseville area, we were fortunate enough to discover St. John's School. The school is everything a parent could hope for their child. Individual attention, safe and wholesome environment in a setting which commands academic excellence. The teachers are highly qualified and the administration treats students and parents alike with a sense of belonging. We absolutely could not be happier.

Posted September 5, 2007

We have just begun our ninth year at St. John's School. We started in pre-school and have now entered our oldest child into the fifth grade. We have been very pleased with with the superior education our children have received, as well as, the nurturing, support and overall enthusiam to help our children grow. The classes are small so our children get a lot of individual attention. St. John's School has been helpful in supporting an important attribute I teach my children which is to become sincere, confident and respectful human beings. I would highly recommend St. John's School.

Posted June 4, 2006

Higher than average academic standards. They have an intermural soccer program for grade schoolers, and a great spansih program.
—Submitted by a student

Two or more races 4%
American Indian/Alaska Native 1%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:15
School end time
  • 3:15
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • (916) 789-2064

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious