PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

This school was not for my child. I felt the facility did not have shade and confort in the Summer and the teachers were demeaning and actually made the children cry at times with strong, unrealistic expectations. The strict style of the teachers was not for our family and the price increases left me looking for other care for my child.

Expected more of a private school. Disappointed. It's a safe environment for kids. Curriculum is average. Teach the standards and nothing beyond. If you believe in homework, you will be disappointed. Less than an hour per night, usually 15-20 minutes. If your child is advanced, they will be bored. Made me wonder if teachers knew how to relate and communicate with kids rather than being dictatorial. Ethnic diversity is lacking. Had the feeling that too many parents had their kids enrolled for the "status" of private school. The last comment about "getting a life" is a very Christian-like value I guess. That parent just spoke volumes about the school. My child is now in public school and to my surprise, it was a dramatic step forward. 2-3 hours of homework, extremely challenging work for a very smart child. And despite a much larger class size, my child has adapted quite well. There is a purpose for this school. I don't think it is for those looking for high educational learning but rather more personalized learning and a disciplined environment. I have no regrets. It was a good decision at the time.

Over the past five years St. John's School has gone through tremendous growth. Under the leadership of Paul Hancock the school has become a true independent school. This guy knows what independent schools are all about. The environment is nurturing, the academics challenging, and the overall tone of the school is accepting and inclusive. The teachers are responsive to student and parental concerns. Unfortunately, the poor economy in California has delayed and most probably ended the hopes of building a new campus. However, under the leadership of the Board of Trustees and the headmaster there are two wonderful possibilities for St. John's that will be long term if not permanent. Parents who grumble about tuition increases and lack of values at the school need to get a life. Send your kids to the local public school. Five stars.

I had high hopes for this school when my children first began attending. However, I pulled them out after paying increasing tuition costs every year just to see this school compare itself and students to surrounding public schools. Also, there's something fishy happening now. The school has been talking about relocating to its new facility for years, but construction of the facility has come to a standstill. Now I hear they are thinking of relocating to an office building in the middle of the 2011/2012 school year. Red flags, anyone?

I have listed on here a 5 star review of the school. Unfortunately things have changed. The very thing that made the school strong and a great environment is being pushed out of the school. The heart of the school is gone and I would have to change my 5 star rating to a no star rating. If I had a child there I would pull them out immediately!

St. John's has been a great place for my twins. I really appreciate the teacher's and as a public school teacher I feel they are getting a great education. They spend the money on the children, therefore, we are receiving a great education - well rounded!!! Love this school!

Our child has been at St. John's for 4 years, and has really grown as a student. The discipline is honest and fair, and the teachers are well qualified.

We never thought that a private school could be this awful, the teachers are terrible. They seem like first year teachers that really don't know what the're doing, they don't communicate with the parents, the're not professional and are not held to any standards. If you want a school where 7th graders are aloud to kiss and curse, this is it, we don't find this acceptable.

I have finished sending one child to SJCS and my second sone is there now. I think this is a great school to have your kids in. They are given so much individual attention and they are not neglected. I love this little hidden school.

I am an involved parent at St. John's school, having volunteered at nearly every opportunity. My child is an A student. This school is trying hard to emulate Christian values and high academic standards. However, many of their discipline policies stray far from Christian teachings. Furthermore, the administration does not welcome opposing views. Some of the parent teacher interactions we've experienced have been unprofessional and discouraging.

Last modified St. John's School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8