Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

We pulled our children out of a private school to send them to JAA. While not perfect, the school is about as good as it gets when it comes to education and culture. With the school almost doubling in size this year, there have been a lot of growing pains. However, the admin have been quick to try to resolve issues.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

With 30 students per a class there is no way they can teach they cannot even teach the John Adams Core Values . This was opening agreed with by my child's teacher and by leadership.

Amount of homework: Disagree

for a first grader is an hour or two of homework every day even a little bit rational

Develops character: Strongly disagree

When staff and leadership openly lie and admit it, it is difficult to believe they have any ability to teach honesty integrity and fairness.

My Children attended for 2 years. After the first year I wanted to pull my children out but my children really wanted to stay. I could clearly see the affects of poor leadership aggressive conformity tactics and a deep focus on heavy handed discipline. 1) Have you ever heard of a 1st grader being suspended for asking questions? John Adams does this. Mind you these were not inappropriate questions but as staff put it too many questions. 2) When we toured the facility, we were told by staff that John Adams had ways to force out students and parents that were an issue. Mind you this was volunteered in response to my questions about California School laws. 3) I was directly lied to by leadership and when confronted there was an admission but absolutely no apology or even hint they viewed it as wrong 4) The parents of students have and almost religious zealot attitude about the school. I went to two parent meeting and was treated to crying and weeping as parents shared their "extreme joy". At the second parent event a dean spent 30 minutes holding up a Frozen DVD box and proceeded to tell everyone about how evil it was. When he finished I politely asked how was this related to any school issues? I was told to leave the meeting You will find this school to be full of people who want to create a strong sense of elitism. Most people buy into it. But I want to warn anyone because there is extreme social pressure at this school. As an example we were asked to not turn left when exiting the parking lot, staff began taking photos of people who did turn left and posting it as bad behavior on the schools face book. When my wife posted its not against the law its legal she was treated to a tirade of harsh responses. When I posted boy it looks like we have some internet bullying going on...the post and all associated comments vanished. Please listen to my post. I wanted this school to be great so badly. I know that I am not alone because I was called by 12 separate individuals to provide consolation and support because they had similar treatment

The root of the problem is the administration. The administration is highly paranoid and possibly even religious discrimination. Something is drastically wrong within the administration, examples: Financial issues, class discipline issues, and teachers constantly being fired. For legal reasons I am hesitant to give names but at least 3 or 4(?) teachers have been fired this year primarily in the middle school and high school. John Adams Academy itself is OK but the middle school and high school are falling to pieces. The administration has not been able to gain control of the classroom discipline issue at all, kids are constantly swearing, speaking of obscene topics during class, and constantly interrupting the teacher. It was a dream school at one point but ever since the new building opened the new kids have been the source of the problem. Not to mention the teachers again, not too long ago a teacher was fired in the high school for not giving enough homework, this school already bombards its students at a massive rate with homework.

The board of "John Adams academy" ™ is suing another school for using the same name. What kind of narcissistic twits would threaten such a frivolous lawsuit? No way do I want these people infecting my children with their version of leadership education. Bully education more like...

Our daughter is a new student in kindergarten in this school. Her education is full of positive and attentive relationships not only with her teacher but the other kids, assistants and administration. I feel that her education is priority #1 and at this school it is taught with patriotism and pride for our country's core values. JAA has the same intentions and standards that we do as a family. Thank you for such a wonderful experience!

I truly think this school is awesome. As a parent of a child enrolled here, I find that the school curriculum and homework is sufficient and challenges her daily. She is more advanced that her friends that go to her former public school that we see often. The classical learning style that my wife and I grew up with going to a private Catholic school is what is taught here. They also focus on music, art, and the library which is essential in our books. As the child of a 35+ year educator in school districts all around the US, I find John Adams Academy ranks right up there with the best that we've been exposed to. I will also point out that I believe it is just as much (if not more) that parents are actively involved in all schooling, which is what truly makes the difference. In closing, John Adam's Academy gets very high remarks and an overwhelmingly RECCOMEND based on our current and past schools experience, interviewing other area schools both charter and private schools, and overall appreciation for how all of the children are responding and acting both at school and outside of JAA. We will continue to send our child here going forward.

JAA is a school with too much class-time, paired with too much homework. They have confused quantity for quality. Kids at JAA have little time for anything other than schoolwork. Even while at school they hardly get any recess or break time and their lunch periods are quite brief. The school does a fabulous job of taking good students and rewarding them with mediocre grades. It may lead to personal improvement, but doesn't help the scholar's chances when it comes to college admissions. The school is new and, or course has had it's growing pains, but it doesn't seem that any slack has been given to the students despite some missteps by the administration and/or teaching corp. There are some really wonderful teachers at JAA, but this is not universally true. If your child is both intelligent and hard-working, then JAA may work out for you. If your child lacks either of those ingredients, it will likely be very challenging. Still, there are many positives about JAA. The school embraces the principles which made America great. The best part is the many great kids who attend JAA. This provides a much nicer environment than any of the public schools I attended growing up.

Last modified John Adams Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.