George A. Buljan Middle School

Public | 6-8

Living in Roseville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $178,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,060.

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted April 24, 2014

We have attended Buljan for almost two years now. My daughter now thinks that she should wear as little clothing as possible, has been repeatedly "bullied" by mean girls and the principal has not been helpful with the situation. We have enjoyed the AVID program but will not miss it when we transfer to a different school next year.

Posted April 10, 2014

This school has been crossed upon as, "a great school" "best education." & people believe that until the actually go to this school. Discipline is horrible. Kids dress inappropriate. Foul lain gauge occurs daily. It's become a school of disrespect. The teachers rely on the kids to do every assignment. But what they haven't realized, is some kids go home with pages of homework from OTHER classes. The principal told the students "Bullying is an overused word." When in fact, bullying isn't. And when they go to take care of the problem. They do nothing. I'm soon to be happy to live out of this school's district. Because I am completely tired of the lack of respect for students & parents.

Posted June 5, 2013

This school is the worst school my son has ever been to. The girls dress inapropriately. There are drugs throughout the school. A complete lack of discipline and leadership. Kids making out and grabing each other at the nearby park imediately after school. When you address the issues with the principal, there is little to NO action taken. I am astounded that this school is so bad! I wouldn't even give this school 1 star if I didn't have to in order to warn other parents about this school.

Posted May 26, 2013

Buljan is an OK school with respect to education and discipline. The staff is nice and kids are safe under Mr.Gunn . But if you are looking forward to challenge your kid this is not the best middle school. The so called GATE program extends to lot of kids who are not GATE and the actual GATE kids get lost and are neglected. No matter what the reputation of the school, lot of your kid's education lies in the teacher s hand who handles them in those years. Yes like the other parent has commented, your kid will benefit if she flaunts in shorts or minis, look and act chic rather than be studios. If your GATE kid needs to be challenged, then this is falls way too short with self-absorbed teachers at least in the lower grades.

Posted April 25, 2013

I am a first year parent at George Buljan Middle School. I thought that this was going to be a great school however I am not impressed. The education my child received for 6th grade was very similar to his 5th grade curriculum. The biggest dissappointment of all is that the students have no disclipne. The students dress inappropriately and seem to have no respect for the rules or staff. There aren't many fights or bullies. This school has become a microcosm of the culture at large and all the problems and pressures kids face. Our modern culture is increasingly making the young old before their time. The lack of disclipne is alarming. If you try to get involved as a parent you get the bare minimum effort and the brush off after that. I expected more from such a nice city.

Posted December 18, 2012

I am very impressed with this school. They have up to date technology and equipment. The school is small with a really effecient library. My 2 daughters attend this school and enjoy the math classes the most. The teacher here are very creative in styles of teaching, to help the students learn in a fun way. My daughters also love science taught at Buljan.

Posted June 11, 2012

I agree with the other parents who state that the students do not get sufficient help from the teachers, and that the goal of the teachers and the administrators seems to be to shift all of the responsibility onto the parents. I will note that there are a few exceptions -- those rare teachers who do care about the students and want them to succeed. However, by and large, most of the teachers show little concern for the students. They routinely use failings grades as a means of "teaching a lesson" to students who are having difficulty keeping up, frequently without so much as an email or call to the parent to let them know there is a problem. Further, neither the principal nor the District staff do anything to respond to complaints and concerns from parents. I contacted the principal on several occasions with serious concerns, and NEVER got one response. There is no accountability whatsoever. The focus is on making sure the child in class so they get their funding. Neither the teachers nor administrators are concerned with the quality of the education they are providing or with the satisfaction of the public constituents they are supposed to serve.

Posted March 14, 2012

I am a student attending Buljan Middle School (currently in eighth grade), and I LOVE this school! When I first came to this school, I had bad grades and I didn't care about anything that had even the slightest bit to do with school, but because of the teachers here at Buljan I raised my grades from c's and d's up to a's and b's. I will tell you from personal experiences that not only do the teachers here respect their students, but they actually care about them, and will do whatever they can to help them achieve the most that they possibly can.We all have crazy school pride and it almost makes me mad to see the bad comments about this wonderful school. :)

Posted May 24, 2011

I talk from experience... this school is a great school for your child if: *you allow your child to wear extra short shorts *use inappropriate language *have boy/girlfriends * focused on drama instead of school *respect teachers who rarely respect you *allow your child to get worse grades than they did in the previous school As you can see, this school is NOT a good school for you and your child and i hope you choose a different one. and i was there when CONDOMS were found right under the picnic benches in the six grade area. Do not choose this School.

Posted December 14, 2010

I am a parent. This is a VERY bad school. Teachers don't care, Kids are mean, they bullied my kid, CONDOMS were found at this school, (under a lunch table) There are childhood thiefs here, (they stole my kid's clothes 7 times!) And teachers rely on the teachers too much and don't help the kids, and too overcrowded.

Posted July 8, 2010

Buljan is the best school you can send your kid to. my daughter is going there and buljan made her LOVE school again. this summer all i have been hearing her talk about is how she cant wate to go back to school.....she loves it.

Posted June 15, 2010

Before I went into 6th grade, I heard nothing but great comments coming out of peoples mouths how Buljan is the best school they ever attended, and how Buljan helped their kids academically. When I fist started Buljan I loved it and I still do! About 2 monthns into my 6th grade year i had to move to a different school due to difficulties at home. That day was probably the saddset day of my life. My friends helped me through it, but i was still sad. I mean how could I be leaving this great school? I hope to attend this school again in my 8th grade year!!!

Posted March 5, 2010

My grandson has attended this school now for almost 2 years he has had nothing but diffculties in this school~ Whe he arrived he was a A student now he is failing 3 classes I get no help from the teachers and staff they want to shift all their responsibility on the parents and never seem to much care about their students I am sooo sick of this school I am checking into home schooling~~

Posted December 19, 2009

This is my first year at Buljan and I love it!! Mr. Gunn is so hilarious I'm so proud to be this year's 6th grade Builder's Clubs Treasurer My favorite teachers has to be.. All of them!!!! At Buljan we have woodshop,6th grade fun night, dances, carnivals, and way more fun stuff!

Posted December 9, 2009

buljan is a great place to grow up at and everyone loves it so much

Posted December 4, 2009

I loved this school. verry nic teachers, verry nice kids, and jusyt a clean school. and the best part was Mr. Gunn he was my principal.... i Loved this school and miss it very much!

Posted October 6, 2009

My daughter attends 7th grade at Buljan this year and loves it. I took her out of Eich due to scheduling errors and no response from the principal and went to the office at Buljan. What a different experience. Everyone was friendly and helpful...I didn't expect to 'get whatever we wanted' but I did expect receptive staff and I got it! My daughter hated science and math and now loves science...and is doing well in math. Thanks Buljan staff for making a stressful decision seamless!

Posted June 4, 2009

Buljan should be recognized as an exemplary school for it's leadership and great teachers who authentically care and challenge their students to do their best! Great job Mr Gunn and Buljan Staff!

Posted March 9, 2009

Buljan is the best school ever. The teachers,principle,vice principle and office people are the nicest. At my other school I wasn't doing good in math but now with the help of my math teacher I am getting A's. They try to make it if for the student that do good by doing spirit days,pep rally ,clubs and many many more things to.I have one brother that graduated from there and he said those were the best years of his life.Then there's the amazing wood shop program were you can build a guitar and other cool things. All around it a awesome school and where hoping to win the DS award.

Posted December 31, 2008

I am pleased with the level of care and consideration from the staff and teachers. They are concerned about the education and overall well being of the students. We made a great choice in picking Buljan for our daughter to attend.

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

337 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

340 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

383 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

362 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

292 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

354 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

24 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

369 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

354 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students76%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)69%
Parent education - college graduate80%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate84%
Parent education - declined to state67%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students0%
Students with no reported disability0%
Fluent-English proficient and English only0%
Gifted and talentedn/a
Parent education - college graduaten/a
Parent education - graduate school/post graduaten/a

Geometry

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

100 Hallissy Drive