Rowland Heights, CA
Students enrolled: 2,403

Posted May 27, 2015
- a student I know the attendance ladies in the office are very rude but you shouldn't just judge the school is not suitable for students just because of 2 rude ladies. Other than that the office people are really nice. Also if one forgets something, just call your parents during lunch or nutrition to come to the parking lot and the security will let them in. Students could even ask your teacher if they could go out and get something from their parent but not every teacher will say yes. Another thing is that majority of the counselors are very great people who tries to help students throughout high school and SUGGEST students to take some classes to go into the college they prefer. They don't limit them on purpose, they are just suggesting what's good for them. Also I can't say for all teachers but majority of the teachers can teach but some can't, it's true. But what I love about the teachers at RHS is that they are willing to take time to make silly music videos or volunteer to shave off their hair to provide the best year for the students. This has been the 50th year of RHS and to be honest I had a blast and it was also thanks to ASB for all the hard work they put in who also try to recognize ALL students to their best of their abilities but you know it's not that easy to create events that recognizes every student. But if you have a suggestion what they can do you can always go to the ASB office, I'm sure the advisor will be there most times. The students are very nice and I never seen any bullying around the campus. There are also a lot of variety in clubs and sports for the students. Also the school may be old, but that's why they are reconstructing the whole school causing dirt to fly all around. Overall this school is really diverse and offers a lot of clubs, activities, and sports for the students. Majority of the staff are very nice people but hey it's reality there are also some who aren't nice and even can't teach. Not all schools are perfect. But if students want to go to diamond bar or walnut because they think they are better schools then go ahead. If some think life will get easier if you go to a "better" school, I suggest to get rid of that mindset because all schools provide equal opportunity to get into a proper college. Also if the student does really want to go to diamond bar, then get ready to experience the very intense competition.

Posted March 11, 2015
This school is just not up to par. Many of the teachers are either too insanely difficult or just a plain out pushover. But the worst part of all is the OFFICE LADIES!!! They are the pure definition of rude, ill-mannered, impudent, disrespectful, cold-hearted, and just plain out loathsome. I wonder why they are so mannerless when speaking to parents. They act as if they absolutely detest their jobs and truthfully I do not know why they are still working here with that sort of attitude. I had an issue occur when my son was not feeling well but I was at work so I asked his grandfather to pick him up for me. They straight out told him no and even after I called the ladies saying that I gave him permission to pick up my son and before I could finish talking they cut me off again and said NO again. Then they started lecturing me on how my son shouldn't be so careless to call his parents to pick him up at school and create so much trouble. Seriously? So I had to get off work early and drive 40 minutes back to Rowland to pick up my son who was running a high fever by then.Seriously these women have no sympathy and just bring down the school's demeanor.
5 people found this helpful

Posted February 20, 2015
I don't know who does the hiring at this school for the front office but they need to re- evaluate their staff. I attended this highschool and now my two son's do. Every time I go in the office for anything its a big run around. They are rude unhelpful and look like they're miserable. My son forgot his book with his homework in it so I wanted to drop it off. I was directed to attendance who didn't even let me finish my sentence before I was rudely told NO!!!!! No professionalism or personality ...look lady if you don't enjoy your job get out of it!!! I was then directed to the secretary who told me I could wait inthe parking lot to give him his book!!! If kids are forgetting their homework don't you think you should put a table or have a system in place so we parents don't " bother" the staff!! I have had many other situations happen and it never seems like anyone in their knows how to do their job with class or a smile!!!!
8 people found this helpful

Posted January 06, 2015
Rude people in the office, poor teachers. There may be a lot of alumni, but that doesn't make it better.
9 people found this helpful

Posted March 26, 2014
This school is not good. Chemistry teachers are mean, office is filled with a lot of rude people. Its also filled with alot of people that look at you as a person who is not worth anything. Many people think they're better than you. The district should do something about the situation here. There is no school spirit, you have to have good grades to discover what it means to be in the "Raider Family". It's sad seeing people who burly get good grades in school miss the opportunity to have spirit, this is basically like racism: (if you are black you can't sit infront of the bus). Don't get fooled on this school, its a blue ribbon school FROM 1998 which was long time ago.In reality this school is not what it seems to be. I recommend you go to Walnut or Diamond Bar better because here you are going to deal with alot of cruel people. BY THE WAY NOTE THAT THE PREVIOUS RATINGS ARE FROM WAY IN THE PAST, THIS IS 2014 IM TALKING ABOUT. So please whoever is reading this, dont come to Rowland High School! Do not be the person I was who believed Rowland was good only because of its blue ribbon. Trusth me its really not. My other school was better by far even tho its not a blue ribbon.
10 people found this helpful

John A. Rowland High School 3

Posted August 24, 2013
Overall the school is okay. There are basically three types of teachers: the ones who are hardcore and you fail the class, but prepares you for college, the type that doesn't teach and blames it on you, and the type that is all around nice. The campus is crazy, with dust flying everywhere, and very old. Some classrooms have roofs that are in need of mending. The small theatre (which is the size of two classrooms combined) really needs to be fixed. The poles that hang lighting often fall down and there are termites everywhere. The grass is dead. Students are pretty nice though.

John A. Rowland High School 3

Posted May 10, 2011
From an honors student point of view: Although this school is a good school, it tends limit your opportunities to explore. The counselors set a strict "plan" of classes for you if you are in the honors program. Most teachers are very good! And some...well I don't know was the school was thinking when they hired them. This school is very small! I mean come on, the school's theater is only the size of a couple classrooms. I believe that other districts such as the WVUSD have MANY more opportunities to exceed. But because I live a minute closer to nogales than I do of walnut, I have no choice but to drive 15 minutes to this school every morning. I'm just telling the truth. What a student usually wants is to go to a nice good looking school, right? Ahh life is fair.
2 people found this helpful

John A. Rowland High School

Posted November 04, 2010
The teachers cares about the kids and they work together with administration and parents

Posted October 12, 2009
Rowland High Schools is one of the best and most most caring schools around the area! The campus is clean, most of the teachers are great, and there are a variety of sports and clubs that you can join on campus. Not to mention that you can even create your own club. The school is very diverse, with a large majority of Asians and Hispanics but also others too! The sports here are great and they just created a new track and football field recently. Lockers here are nice, though some are in need of repainting and new doors, but they will keep your things safe and are of adequate size. The students around campus are actually pretty nice. Granted, there are the occasional mean people, but the majority is rather nice and considerate. If you are considering enrollment in this school, I as a student would highly recommend it.

Posted March 04, 2009
Principals, Staff, & Parents. Have open lines of communication. That is why Rowland is such a successful and excellent institution for students to learn.

John A. Rowland High School
2000 South Otterbein Street, Rowland Heights, CA  91748
Last modified John A. Rowland High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John A. Rowland High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top