Sacramento, CA

Posted December 15, 2013
I graduated from NCPS and stop by every year to tell the staff they were right! I was not the easiest student and always threatened to quit, but the staff never gave up on me. I am in college now and living on my own. I am doing good, but life is challenging. The staff tell you the truth at NCPS and as teens we don't want to hear the truth. Now I am an adult, I want to say thank you to all of the staff at NCPS. They definitely care about you. The Principal is firm but fair, now I understand the reasons why. If you are looking to put your son or daughter in this school, I would tell you it would be a good choice. I learned life lessons in this school besides just the usual subjects. To this day I stop by and see the staff, they are like my other family. Thank you NCPS! Your biggest fan!

Northern California Preparatory School 1

Posted September 06, 2012
NCPS is a VERY restrictive school. You cannot touch any student or teacher in any way. This includes handshakes. Students are supervised by staff at all times, and whenever a student goes as far as the next classroom, it is communicated to the entire school through a walkie talkie. Every single conversation between students is monitored by a staff member. Some staff members are also highly confrontational and will look for fights. The classrooms are the size of shoeboxes, and the teachers do not teach. They assign work and say just do it without directions or details. This school is for kids with behavior issues, so if your child has Asperger's Syndrome or any other learning disability that has to do with academics, he/she will be treated like a student with behavior problems. Students cannot even make friends, because trading phone numbers is forbidden. A portion of the students at NCPS claim they they belong in gangs, thus wearing a plain red shirt or any shirt that has to do with certain cities is forbidden. Also, this is a "therapeutic day program", and students have to get all of their work done to see the "therapists." The Principal just tries to get as many kids as possible.

Posted September 03, 2012
Northern California prep school is the best school in Sacramento it has made me the man that i am today without them i dont know where i would be today i want thank all the staff for all of there support i could not have done it without them and most of all i want to thank the principle of Northern California Prep School for the great respect that was shown to me over the years and she is a BIG help toi all of here students she has helped me in many ways hope the best for the students and teachers Thank you to the owner of Northern California Prep School for opening this school for all of us students we really appreciate what you have done for us i am forever thankful for that school i enjoyed every second that i got to spend at that school I have always thought school was going to be the worst experience i would have but this school has changed my prospective on school it made me realize how much education is important and how that with out education i would not become anything thank you for that reality check

Posted August 11, 2012
We've been very happy with NCPS. Our son qualifies as both a gifted student (very high IQ) and as a special ed student (dyslexia, dysgraphia and ADHD). The public school system was woefully inadequate in addressing his educational needs. After years of spinning our wheels in a traditional school setting we tried NCPS and have been thrilled. The small class sizes and structured learning environment fit the bill for our son. The teachers are supportive and encouraging...our kid is actually regaining some of the self esteem that he lost in the public schools.

Posted August 16, 2011
NCPS was a Godsend. The principle Ms. Johnson and her staff went above and beyond to help my son and our family. The school actually challenges the students and makes them accountable for their behavior. My son struggled for years and developed a learned sense of apathy. After attending NCPS he has grown emotionally and academically. I cannot thank the staff enough for all the attention and care that was given to our son. We have seen how difficult it is for kids with emotional or learning disabilities to thrive in school environments and do not blame the schools or teachers in any way. Serving a challenged population is difficult and requires great organization, care and positive regard for each student in spite of their difficult behaviors. The staff at NCPS are up to the challenge, are available when needed and have the students best interest at heart. My son only spent one school year there (because of distance) but the skills he developed and the change in him will last a lifetime. If you are considering NCPS as a school for your student, you will put him in good hands...lots of them. A very appreciative parent

Northern California Preparatory School 2

Posted February 20, 2010
I am a former student ,this is a great school made great by some of the great teachers in my memory that went there when i went there ,One thing i have to say negative is the fact that i felt alot of the students and including myself weren't helped as much as others ,I felt that the ranks of those who were to succeed was determined immediately ,and once you were deemed not worth the time to help or unfit to give help to you were gone in a moment and treated unfairly,i still have some contact with some other previous students that share my feelings as well,however it was the principal who made it felt this way.But the help you did get by the teachers will stay in heart and mind forever there were truly some that made you feel respected no matter what and valuable no matter what.

Posted November 18, 2008
This is an incredible school!! My son had tried several education programs. As a student with mild mental retardation and Bipolar Disorder, finding a school where he could just manage a full day was a challenge. NCPS has provided my son the opportunity to gain pratical skills in an esteem building setting. Accountability has been the key to his success. The principal is committed and the staff outstanding. Highly reccommend it to families struggling to find the right place.

Northern California Preparatory School 3

Posted November 13, 2008

Posted May 22, 2008
My son has Asperger's Syndrome and was sitting in the back of the classroom in public school. He was not challenged academically and was not socially functioning within the classroom or at break. His teachers just left him in the back of the room to sit by himself because he was not a 'behavior problem'. Then I was told about NCPS. In this school he is academically challenged, has homework, expectations both academically and behaviorally and is being introduced to vocational opportunities and trainings. I finally feel that my child is being taken seriously and not just left behind because he is easy to manage. I can finally sleep at night knowing that my son is safe, receiving an education and is expected to be productive and social member of society. I would like to thank all of the staff for their hard work and actually caring about the students. A very satisfied parent

Posted June 20, 2007
NCPS has my vote hands down. If it weren't for this school, my daughter would have fallen through the cracks of our school system long ago. She went to NCPS for 6 years and had the best teachers, principal, therapists and director of any of the non-public schools in the sacramento area. My daughter is now a functioning part of society,and my appreciation goes to this school. If I had not placed my daughter here, she would not gotten the help and learning that she so desperately needed - sometimes 1:1 or in smaller groups. I thank NCPS daily for my daughter's sucess. She graduated in 2006 and now is working - thanks to all the staff's hard dilligent work. They are the most caring, giving teachers that I have come across in a long time. Keep up the good work NCPS.

Northern California Preparatory School
6046 Lemon Hill Avenue, Sacramento, CA  95824
Last modified Northern California Preparatory School is a Private school that serves grades 6-12
Northern California Preparatory School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top