Sacramento, CA

Posted September 29, 2015
I really can't say too many good things about this school ! A caring staff, all of whom go out of their way to help a student succeed! Ms. Johnson. the principal, is the best and knows each child, their needs & strengths, making this program the one that works for each student. A truly positive environment. My son was a student for 4 years and because of the foundation laid at NCPS, he is going forward with confidence!

Posted June 01, 2015
I want to thank Ms. Johnson and the staff for the support they have given to my son the last three years. I appreciate the staff for the many updates on his progress and the phone calls when there were concerns or issues. No other school would have taken the time to do this. If it wasn't for NCPS, I doubt that my son would be graduating this month and attending college. I highly recommend NCPS.

Northern California Preparatory School 4

Posted May 14, 2015
My son has attended NCPS this year. He is on the autism spectrum, but high functioning and diploma bound. The teachers, administrators, and therapists are truly top notch! They are all special education and general Ed. certified and have always helped my son focus and learn while making him feel loved and appreciated, WOW! The classes average 10-14 students with two teachers per class and about 100 total. They have family events sometimes too (bowling, etc) so that we can all meet each other. I would give the school five stars or more except for the food program. They offer lunch/snacks that also include highly processed (sugar/grain) pseudo-foods. These kids especially need lunches/snacks made from real foods in their natural state ONLY in order to heal their very damaged gut microbiomes which affects their ability to learn. See David Perlmutter's book "Brain Maker" for explanation. If the food program was thus improved, then I would say that Northern California Preparatory School would be ideal to prepare most spectrum kids for the rigors of upper grades in public high school and beyond!

Posted April 21, 2015
Thank you Ms. Johnson and teachers at NCPS for providing a positive learning environment for my son who is ASD. Life as we knew it fell apart in 7th grade. Our son couldn't function at school - couldn't make it through the day without being physically sick from stress. He didn't attend school for the better part of two years - and we were advised to have him do independent study. Not an acceptable alternative. For us, academics came secondary to having our son at school and with peers on a daily basis.Our son will be graduating soon after having exceptional attendance and grades at NCPS. He takes pride in his school and looks forward to being in the classroom and with his peers. He still has social-emotional goals to tackle, but NCPS has given him the framework to understand his challenges - and tools to work on improving his behavior and responses to the outside world. He's a work-in-progress, like most young men his age.Our son did well on his recent college placement exams. He did a lot of solid learning at NCPS - while homework and courses were carefully structured not to overwhelm students. The future is bright for my son - thanks in large part to NCPS.

Posted December 15, 2013
I graduated from NCPS and stop by every year to tell the staff they were right! I was not the easiest student and always threatened to quit, but the staff never gave up on me. I am in college now and living on my own. I am doing good, but life is challenging. The staff tell you the truth at NCPS and as teens we don't want to hear the truth. Now I am an adult, I want to say thank you to all of the staff at NCPS. They definitely care about you. The Principal is firm but fair, now I understand the reasons why. If you are looking to put your son or daughter in this school, I would tell you it would be a good choice. I learned life lessons in this school besides just the usual subjects. To this day I stop by and see the staff, they are like my other family. Thank you NCPS! Your biggest fan!

Northern California Preparatory School 1

Posted September 06, 2012
NCPS is a VERY restrictive school. You cannot touch any student or teacher in any way. This includes handshakes. Students are supervised by staff at all times, and whenever a student goes as far as the next classroom, it is communicated to the entire school through a walkie talkie. Every single conversation between students is monitored by a staff member. Some staff members are also highly confrontational and will look for fights. The classrooms are the size of shoeboxes, and the teachers do not teach. They assign work and say just do it without directions or details. This school is for kids with behavior issues, so if your child has Asperger's Syndrome or any other learning disability that has to do with academics, he/she will be treated like a student with behavior problems. Students cannot even make friends, because trading phone numbers is forbidden. A portion of the students at NCPS claim they they belong in gangs, thus wearing a plain red shirt or any shirt that has to do with certain cities is forbidden. Also, this is a "therapeutic day program", and students have to get all of their work done to see the "therapists." The Principal just tries to get as many kids as possible.

Posted September 03, 2012
Northern California prep school is the best school in Sacramento it has made me the man that i am today without them i dont know where i would be today i want thank all the staff for all of there support i could not have done it without them and most of all i want to thank the principle of Northern California Prep School for the great respect that was shown to me over the years and she is a BIG help toi all of here students she has helped me in many ways hope the best for the students and teachers Thank you to the owner of Northern California Prep School for opening this school for all of us students we really appreciate what you have done for us i am forever thankful for that school i enjoyed every second that i got to spend at that school I have always thought school was going to be the worst experience i would have but this school has changed my prospective on school it made me realize how much education is important and how that with out education i would not become anything thank you for that reality check

Posted August 11, 2012
We've been very happy with NCPS. Our son qualifies as both a gifted student (very high IQ) and as a special ed student (dyslexia, dysgraphia and ADHD). The public school system was woefully inadequate in addressing his educational needs. After years of spinning our wheels in a traditional school setting we tried NCPS and have been thrilled. The small class sizes and structured learning environment fit the bill for our son. The teachers are supportive and encouraging...our kid is actually regaining some of the self esteem that he lost in the public schools.

Posted August 16, 2011
NCPS was a Godsend. The principle Ms. Johnson and her staff went above and beyond to help my son and our family. The school actually challenges the students and makes them accountable for their behavior. My son struggled for years and developed a learned sense of apathy. After attending NCPS he has grown emotionally and academically. I cannot thank the staff enough for all the attention and care that was given to our son. We have seen how difficult it is for kids with emotional or learning disabilities to thrive in school environments and do not blame the schools or teachers in any way. Serving a challenged population is difficult and requires great organization, care and positive regard for each student in spite of their difficult behaviors. The staff at NCPS are up to the challenge, are available when needed and have the students best interest at heart. My son only spent one school year there (because of distance) but the skills he developed and the change in him will last a lifetime. If you are considering NCPS as a school for your student, you will put him in good hands...lots of them. A very appreciative parent

Northern California Preparatory School 2

Posted February 20, 2010
I am a former student ,this is a great school made great by some of the great teachers in my memory that went there when i went there ,One thing i have to say negative is the fact that i felt alot of the students and including myself weren't helped as much as others ,I felt that the ranks of those who were to succeed was determined immediately ,and once you were deemed not worth the time to help or unfit to give help to you were gone in a moment and treated unfairly,i still have some contact with some other previous students that share my feelings as well,however it was the principal who made it felt this way.But the help you did get by the teachers will stay in heart and mind forever there were truly some that made you feel respected no matter what and valuable no matter what.

Northern California Preparatory School
6046 Lemon Hill Avenue, Sacramento, CA  95824
Last modified Northern California Preparatory School is a Private school that serves grades 6-12
Northern California Preparatory School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top