Natomas Charter School

Charter | K-12 | 1375 students

We are best known for our high quality educational programs.

Living in Sacramento

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $190,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,450.

Posted November 20, 2013

Our school is good at writing the 504C plans and holding scheduled meetings. The challenge is making sure each teacher provides the accommodations. This has been and ongoing problem for four years. We as parents have had to manage the teachers instead of the school. Also, the school has a hard time thinking outside the normal educational box and offer to try other teaching methods. Such as verbal testing since they put so much emphasis on testing. Our experience is that traditionally educated teachers have very little skills in teaching or understanding students with learning disabilities. Schools must offer alternative methods of teaching, verbal or no testing more project based. Employ teachers that have experience in learning disabilities. Don't expect the student to explain something they do not understand themselves. You don't know what you don't know. There are very little resources for students with learning disabilities.We have had a few teachers who have gone out of their way to help our child succeed. And other teachers who just do not get it. The administration has been diligent in helping our child be successful while working within the educational boundaries.

Posted September 27, 2013

I love this school, the high school program has such a strong sense of community. It's a great place to learn and teach.

Posted September 26, 2013

We love Natomas Charter School. Best administrative and teachers. We have to move another country. We will miss NCS. Thank you.

Posted September 10, 2013

My daughter loves her new school. Everyday I pick her up she's all smiles. Like the parent involvement with school and that it's a good balance of academics and the arts.

Posted September 9, 2013

I am a (Grade 8) student at PACT and I absolutely love it here. Everyone is really nice and the teachers and classes are awesome. We're like a big family at PACT and just everyone is great. We get to choose which classes we take, and we do the rest at home, so I take arts classes at the school. I really like the way the system is set up. This being my last year at the school, I'm really sad to have to go. I really recommend this school, it's just fantastic.

Posted September 3, 2013

Natomas Charter School's PACT program is fantastic! We enrolled our son last year for kindergarten with the hopes that it would provide a unique balance between homeschooling and the traditional classroom setting. The staff has far exceeded our expectations and we absolutely love the sense of community that it provides. Looking forward to a great new year!

Posted August 23, 2013

My daughter is in the PACT program of Natomas Charter! We absolutely love it. The support is phenomenal, the atmosphere is welcoming, and the program is FUN and EDUCATIONAL! I've never felt so comfortable in a school environment before! :) Thanks PACT!!

Posted August 23, 2013

Middle School can be such a challenge however here at Charter the leadership, admin, and staff believe in educating the whole child while providing a top notch facility and environment to foster learning. They offer more than just academic preparation for the future. Middle school has been such an amazing experience we can't wait for high school.

Posted August 22, 2013

Natomas Charter School is a wonderful school! I feel very privileged to have my daughter attending. She is attending the Performing And Fine Arts Academy, which is one of the programs available to Natomas Charter students. They offer a vigorous academic program along with the performing and fine arts, preparing them for college and adult life. The teachers are thoughtful, kind, encouraging and inspirational on a daily basis. She is learning and allowed to express herself artistically and intellectually on a daily basis. Students are learning and encouraged to be individuals. My daughter loves it and is looking forward to all of the opportunities she has been given. The school is very supportive of both the parents and students.

Posted June 12, 2013

I am a student at PFAA and I just hate it here sadly. When I first got accepted I was really excited to learn about the arts and other things that the school provided their students with. But going there just to learn that the homework is heavy and how you have rehearsals here and there. and sometimes staying up all night because of school work. I also found that Some of the teachers lack being respectful! 7th grade year is my last year at this school. before coming to Charter I attended Np3 but transfered in the beginning of the year thinking I will be going to a much better school! But i was wrong. I very much regret switching schools! I am going to try to go back to Np3 again , hopefully i get in! Another thing That my parents and I didnt like about charter was that there wasnt much college prep there unlike Np3. I am sorry but this is why I gave this school 1 star. Hope this helps!

Posted May 30, 2013

I am a seventh grader in Leading Edge, and transfered here in sixth grade from NP3. I do not regret moving schools at all. The teachers here are amazing and car about you as an individual. There are so many different types of people here, so it is virtually impossible to not find a group of great people. It is a great environment, and the sports are so much fun! Leading Edge rules over PFAA!!!!!

Posted November 14, 2012

I have a Daughter that attends PFAA. She's in the 11th grade, but she's been going here since the 6th grade. I have no complaints about this school. The Teachers are the best, and they really enjoy what they do. I know this because I talk to my Daughter, and she's always speaking highly of all her Teachers. Whenever I've had a problem or needed to discuss something, Tammy Lee is always on her job. I commend her for that. Her communication is prompt when you need to speak with her. I'm SO grateful for Natomas Charter School. I couldn't imagine my Daughter anywhere else. As a parent, I feel the school is safe. She can go to school and learn in a positive environment. I don't want to get too long winded, so I'll stop here. They are so deserving of my 5 stars!

Posted September 10, 2012

Both of our kids attend PFAA and we love it. The kids, staff and faculty seem so happy there. The teachers really care about our kids and how they are doing in school--they email us when there are concerns, etc. It seems problems are dealt with quickly too. We highly recommend this school to parents, whose kids love the arts (it is not for everyone).

Posted August 30, 2012

My daughter and I are very Happy with the Performing and Fine Arts Academy at Natomas Charter School. This school and program are NOT FOR EVERYONE! This school is difficult to get into. Many students from Natomas apply because it is the highest rated school in Natomas but end up leaving because they don't enjoy the program. PFAA does not offer sports programs. The school is small and each grade has fewer than 100 students. The students have 7-9 classes a day instead of 6. Class sizes are small. Teachers and instruction are excellent. The school has a vast demographic of ethnicity, income and sexual orientation among the students and enforce a strong anti-bullying program. The students overall are very respectful. Students will be exposed to various art mediums including dance, band, vocal, drama, acting, painting, computer design, etc. High school students must either take dance for PE or do an approved off campus sport. Every student will be in some sort of recital or production every year, if not multiple. Parents are required volunteer 30hrs to the school each year. Parents can be as involved or removed as they want to be. Think "Fame" or "Victorious".

Posted March 27, 2012

Lottery was not drawn fairly I applied to this school. Lottery numbers were color coded and definitely one color was preferred over the other. None of the public complained but it is not fair in my opinion.

Posted March 25, 2012

This school is like the school in Fame - a great performing arts school. The campus is beautiful, the parents 100% over involved to the max, and the kids are all shining starts. No gangs, no bullies, no fights. The school is super strict about that. If you do mean things you get expelled - that includes picking on people verbally. Just not allowed. So if you child is a bully keep him somewhere else. If your child is talented, creative, different, kind - send him or her here.

Posted December 13, 2011

This would easily be 5 stars if the Administration would get it's act together. Most of the teachers are great, but unfortunately there are a few that don't care for the students. The students who go here are all around great people who care about others and will treat you with respect. The students make it a very safe place, however the administration should be more open to kids with special needs.

Posted November 3, 2011

The Performing and Fine Arts Academy is an excellent education environment. Not only are the teachers excellent and enthusiastic about their work, the curriculum is well defined, challenging, and college preparation is excellent. Two of my children have graduated from the school. We began with the school when it started in portables. The program continues to improve every year. We love the atmosphere of tolerance, joy and friendship the arts provide to Jr. and High school students. Many days our children left school singing and dancing. Where else can you find that in a Junior High.

Posted May 13, 2011

School discriminates against students with special needs. Some excellent teachers. Some very poor teachers. Very poor administration.

Posted April 1, 2011

My son and daughter attended the Performing and Fine Arts Academy for grades 7-12. This involved commuting from the Yuba City/Marysville area all those years, and it was worth it. My main goal for my children was their safety: I did not have the money to send them to private school and I was NOT, ABSOLUTELY NOT, going to send them to a gigantic regular public high school where I would have to fear for their safety with all the gang-bangers and other such craziness that is completely unacceptable. My children were SAFE. They also received a wonderful education grounded in the arts--not just isolated arts classes, but the arts incorporated into core subjects. I loved that. Not only did they learn something about different art forms, but they saw the connectedness between art and everything else in life. I'm glad for that and for the appreciation for the arts that will be with them all of their lives. I'm thankful for that, I'm thankful they were taught by practicing painters, actors, singers, dancers, graphic artists, and I'm thankful for the strict policies enforced on campus to ensure their safety.

This school's

-15

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

200 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

199 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

202 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

12 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students79%

Parent education - high school graduate89%
Parent education - college graduate86%
Parent education - declined to state91%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students99%

First-year teachers 4%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Special education / special needs

• Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science

• Video / Film production

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Community college courses
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses

• Ting Sun
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Science
  • Service learning
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

• Acceleration
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

4 out of 10students were accepted for the 2011-2012 school year.

Students accepted for the 2011-2012 school year
300
Applications received for the 2011-2012 school year
750

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
Community college courses
SAT/ACT prep classes
School-sponsored trips to college campuses

4600 Blackrock Drive