West Campus School

Public | 9-12 | 865 students

West Campus is best known for its academics.

Sweep tile

Posted January 13, 2014

The West Campus teachers and administration only care about test scores and their reputation. It is a perfect school for students who can teach themselves and never have any questions. There is no tutoring offered and teachers do not extend themselves beyond their regular class hours. The office staff is unfriendly and condescending to both students and parents. This school looks great on paper but is a totally different reality.

Posted December 20, 2013

If your child is a transferring upperclassman in search of AP classes prepare to be disappointed. My transferring junior was shutout of three AP classes for which she applied and I bored to death in general classes that provide zero challenge. To add insult to injury the school sends us a letter recommending she be enrolled the very three classes in which they denied her at the outset! The reason stated is the smaller enrollment size and the demand for AP classes. Result: a lot of time being wasted re-hashing curricula she learned in middle school. My transferring senior fared somewhat better. However; since he didn't take geography in CA, and there's no way to test out of the class, he wastes that period hanging out with freshmen not doing anything constructive. It took the school half a semster to decide music was an art after telling him it wasn't, therefore requiring him to take an art class in which he had no interest but had to as a requirement. When he attempted to switch over to band because he's been playing an instrument since the third grade, they denied that request citing no reason. Still waiting to see the benefit of enrolling my kids here.

Posted October 8, 2013

West Campus is a great school. Like most public schools they could use extra funds for equipment and supplies but the teachers seem helpful and dedicated.

Posted October 3, 2013

West campus curriculum is harder than college. It is all doable because you have such amazing assistance and the teachers are more than happy to help. They really improved my critical and analytical skills during my four years there and really prepared me for a four year in a university environment.

Posted June 27, 2013

I graduated a few years back and i must tell you- it is a very difficult school (academically) but as I made friends the next few years in college, I slowly but surely realized that ( it may sound wrong) I am a lot more in tune intellectually than all my other friends. I soon showed most of my friends my technique of taking notes taught by West Campus' own Mr. Hotell and my friends have been getting nothing but A's and B's in the college classes. West Campus was a great experience, it definitely gave me stepping stones.

Posted May 29, 2013

Even though there were times i dreaded at West Campus, I could not possibly see myself anywhere else. I love this school and I feel honored to be graduating from there.

Posted February 21, 2013

We have been very happy with our son's experience at West Campus. He is doing very well academically, taking AP courses and participating in the marching band and the winter drum line. He came from a very small private school, and had no problem fitting in from the beginning. The size of the school is a plus, as it is smaller than most of the other high schools. To those who say they are only concerned about test scores, that is the nature of public education these days, and to the degree that West is guilty, I would say all good public schools have the same concern. I believe our son is getting a good education in spite of that.

Posted December 13, 2011

What impresses me is the students want to learn and this school's "culture", despite the old facilities, promotes that. The students care. In my daughter's group project groups everyone is involved. Her older siblings were at a couple different local high schools and over the years there always were students who didn't care and hampered the groups.

Posted July 10, 2011

i have been attending West for over a year now and I must say if you want something better for yourself, this school will help acheive your dreams. At frist it was very overwhelming but during the second semester it became at ease. It might feel like this school pushes you off the edge, but in reality it is actually shaping your life...even if you oblivious from the effect. I hope this school is right for, if you want to succeed in life. :D

Posted July 2, 2011

Its an excellent school with awesome teachers. Teachers willing to put efforts and spend extra time into helping the students. You might have an A or B in other school and turn out you have a B or C in this school. But for future, grades are not really the thing that should be worry if you work hard. Working hard always helps to lock great longlasting knowledge: ) And Knowledge will always go along with you.

Posted June 9, 2011

I hated this school it was one of the worst schools in Sacramento. The people at this school are mean and rude.The years that I spent at this school were horrible. The school is outdated and old. Overall I hated this school coming from Caleb Greenwood. They needed to be more welcome and forgiving and have a better introduction to people who came to smaller schools. I HATED MY EXPERIENCE AT WEST CAMPUS !! :(

Posted March 8, 2011

We will be moving to Sacramento this summer and I am trying to determine which high school we would like our daughter to go to. We also will decide what part of the city to live in based on this decision. Thank you for all your help.

Posted February 10, 2011

west campus is sadly all about scores and results. they dont care about the students they just care about keeping their reputation

Posted November 15, 2010

ALL ABOUT SCORES AND TESTS. The administration lacks the ability to know each "high achieving" student on any kind of personal level. They a public school snobs. Education is a collaboration between students parents, and schools. At West Campus Parents and students have very little say.

Posted April 29, 2010

West Campus is the best of the best! If you come here, you can tell for yourself.This is a school that's everything but your average!We got the highest API of all the other highs schools and honestly I can say we don't even consider ourselves decent.We still strive for excellence every day.There's just so much school spirit here you simply can't ignore it.I had the chance to go to Hiram Johnson, McKlatchy,Health Proffesions,Sac high,and a arts & science school which I forgot the name of.My Cst scores are advanced and even though I moved to Elk Grove I had the option & choice to transfer.I know girls that go there which are now in prohibation.Events,Rallies,and everything you can think of is magnificent! Even though we don't have the amount of school funding and money we want we still make the best of it.

Posted March 4, 2010

I was a student at West Campus coming from Sutter Middle School. I believe that WC's reputation is greatly exaggerated. At one time it might have been accurate but when I attended it seemed as though they attracted high achieving and motivated students and put them in classes with below average teachers and counted on their already high test scores. In fact the school seems obsessed with preparation for standardized tests. Most of the ever changing administration and staff seems uncaring for thier students. And because it is a small school there is very little choice in classes. If you are looking for a small, safe, average, meat and potatoes school then go for it! But dont have higher expectations. If it has gotten better in the last two years it will be a pleasant surprise.

Posted October 21, 2009

I love West Campus because it is a small campus and the teachers work very hard to teach their students what they need to get into college.

Posted September 27, 2009

School has been in only three weeks now and I have experienced nothing but a great deal of difficulties with the new Principal over the simplest of issues. Unfortunately, we chose to decline our child's acceptance at both a highly reputable private school and another highly prestigious and sought after program at another public highschool in another district in favor of attending West Campus. Thus far, just three weeks into the year, that decision seems entirely wrong. West Campus needs an experienced leader. It is no secret that, within the district, employees try to gain employment at West Campus because of its outstanding quality of students. Why such a coveted position at this school was given to someone with such little experience is just one more reason the Sacramento City Unified School District seems to constantly be the target of bad press.

Posted August 28, 2009

My child attended this high school for 4 yrs. The administration changed 3 times. The teachers except for a few, like Mr. Ousley and Ms. Dennison and Mr. Pantages, were unwilling to go above and actually assist students who need help. Tutoring, forget it! If your student can teach themselves, this is the school for you. P.S. Don't go to the office, even to help out, unless you want to be treated without respect.

Posted May 24, 2009

I love my school. The only downside is if the hall monitors think you're going a bit overboard (we often have birthday parties outdoors), and if your teacher is mean to you. I only have two teachers which I dislike; the rest are amazing. Kudos to Vidovich, McCord, Pantages, and Daigle. I have them this year and they're just plain great people who care about their students and aren't afraid to joke around. My grades do suffer, but it's because of my own actions. If you choose not to turn in assignments or study ahead for tests, of course you're not going to manage as well. But this school isn't just about our scores -- you will find a very warm attitude with the student body and most staff when you're on campus. (c/o 2011) KH

This school's

-11

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

167 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

171 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

167 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

202 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

202 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

200 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

231 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

177 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

231 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students77%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)98%
Parent education - college graduate100%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate100%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

Parent education - college graduate87%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate97%
Parent education - declined to state83%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

All Students100%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 45%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Sutter MS
Will C. Wood
Kit Carson
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 44% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 46% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 1% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 7% (2013)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 2% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation Sacramento State
CA St Colleges
CA University's
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Computer specialist(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Security personnel
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Cantonese)
French
Hmong
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• 8:10 am
School end time
  • 2:50 pm
  • Greg Thomas
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration
  • Career/college counseling
  • Counseling
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Parent center
  • Performance stage
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • SMUD

• Computer animation
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Dance club: Hip Hop

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council

Apply now

What are your chances?

5 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year
233
Applications received for the 2012-2013 school year
500
Students typically come from these schools
Sutter MS
Will C. Wood
Kit Carson

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Sacramento State
CA St Colleges
CA University's
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Students' post-graduation plans in 2013