New Technology High School

Charter | 9-12

Living in Sacramento

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $100,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $930.

Posted October 1, 2013

This is a school that requires students to think. They learn without knowing it. It's fun and

Posted September 30, 2013

My daughter started at New Tech as a freshman and will graduate this year class of 2014. I strongly recommend New Tech as a place that will help your child to grow in many ways - not just academics. New Tech's long school day (&;45 am to 3:45 pm) mimics the kind of work day our kids can expect when they enter the world of work. The expectations for independent work, self-advocacy and cooperation with peers are high. My daughter is an accomplished presenter thanks to New Tech, confident when meeting new people or making her case about something with an adult. The teachers have consistently supported and helped her with one-on-one tutoring and flexibility when she was struggling. She has significant LD's and had a concussion her sophomore year that caused her to miss 2 months of school. But with the help of the teachers and her own persistence she got through it all and has a 3.25 GPA. This year she's taking physics and pre-calc (her LD's make math very hard) and she's carrying a B. I strongly endorse New Tech's approach and recommend it highly.

Posted September 9, 2013

2013 Graduate. I attended this school for 2 years and had a rewarding experience here. The school is very small which is a plus. Staff actually have time to assist you when needed. They aim high for achievement. Failing is not an option. If you want a successful future and plan on pursuing further education after graduating, then I would highly recommend this school. I'm most grateful to have attaended this school. THANK YOU NEW TECH!

Posted August 25, 2013

I had 2 kids gradute from this school within the past 2 years. This school has teachers that actually care about providing a great education to get your child the education they deserve. Both my kids are now attending UCLA. This school geers the students into college and achieving their goals. Thank you New Tech!

Posted March 3, 2013

My family was pulled to this school because of the project based approach and the idea of a small school community. We thought it might be a good fit for our son. Sadly, there were too many drawbacks for us to seriously consider this school so, after a semester, we pulled our son out. There are some good teachers and, as I've said, the project based idea is attractive but it is the students who are the main issue. The project based idea is not properly executed. Students do not need to learn the material, content competency is unnecessary, and grades are formulated almost exclusively on work ethic. What that means is that students do not need to really understand English, math or other subjects but they can simply complete homework and pass the class. Cheating is rampant under this system since students wait until the last minute to get work completed (there is no penalty for late work) and students work the system to pass the class.

Posted June 23, 2011

After attending the school for four years and have graduated in the top five of my Senior class of 2011, I am happy to say I am proud I attended SNTHS. The system the school works under is "PBL," or project based learning. Courses are taught through projects where students work in teams to complete a project assigned, later to present in front of the class to demonstrate what they have learned over the course of the project. The system is far more engaging than the traditional textbook system because it allows to critically think and work with other people to solve problems, which is made to reflect a workplace environment. The teachers are all very helpful, each one willing to work with every individual student to help them pass they classes. Although students might become rowdy at times, teachers are quick to solve the situation, and the manner they do it fully demonstrates the teacher's ability to work with students. The school's counselors and office staff are very helpful in getting you ready for college and internships, making the process much more easier so students can get a step ahead into college. I fully recommend this school to anyone who wants to succeed.

Posted June 16, 2011

I absolutely love New Tech. I am now a Senior and enjoy every moment I spend there. It is literally my second home and I am happy I made the choice to go there. There are always fun activities, a great learning environment, amazing teachers/staff, and great students.

Posted October 27, 2010

New Tech is a wonderful small school that trumps all other high schools with it's innovative project-based learning system, community-like society, and hard-working teachers who really care about their students.

Posted October 27, 2010

I am a senior at SNTHS. I have been going to New Tech since my freshmen year. I love this school. The relationship I have with my teachers is amazing. I feel that I can always come to them for advice. The work environment is very calm and relaxing, which appeals to me and my personality. The things I learned at New Tech will stay with me forever. I will miss this school when I am gone.

Posted September 13, 2010

My daughter is now a Junior and began as a freshman. I am very comfortable with her attending this school. The are unlike any school I have ever experienced and the fact that the kids of all kinds can be comfortable here is very refreshing. I am sure there are remarks and kids making fun of others (as there are "different" types here) but for the most part, I love that they can all be in one place and manage to interact. This is what the real word is about and when they are in the working environment, students will be well prepared. My daughter may struggle a bit as the classes are difficult but it only makes them work harder to acheive their potential. I would not want my daugher attending any other school. Most teachers are wonderful. Principal is great!

Posted June 4, 2010

As you have seen so far by the other reviews, the school doesn't have very good reviews. Hopefully, i can change that with my experience and this review. New Tech is a very good school, I'm currently a Sophomore there and I've had some up and down but overall the school is great. The principal is outstanding! She is one good principal. She's on top of everything and will not put up with anyones stupidity in judgments of others. She also will make you accountable for your choices. The teachers are great and very social. And the kids don't try to run the class, those students that try to run the class are the slackers. We do work in groups and you may end up with them, but overall it benefits in the end. Lastly overall the school is excellent and you will get far, so i recommend this school!

Posted May 13, 2010

This school is good. But it is just not taught properly. Too much computers for children to be messing around and playing games on it because they know how to hack the school's firewalls/programs that block entertainment.

Posted January 28, 2010

I was a student an the school is wonderful.

Posted July 11, 2009

I find it interesting that someone says the requirements are lower than much schools, when in fact the graduation requirements exceed the typical graduation requirements of SCUSD schools. Students complete 12 college credits, complete 40 hours of community service, a 50 hour intership and are encouraged to take math every single year no matter how advanced they are. This school is difficult, but I have found a warm, welcoming place that I could not find in a larger school. The teachers are unique, young energetic human beings and the principal is amazing, truly the most involed principal I have ever seen. The school continues to improve as any school should, but New Tech is far superior to any public school in my opinion.

Posted December 5, 2008

I had transferred out of this school in October. If you like small schools, you'll love new tech. Everybody knows everyone and the teachers get to know you personally. At the same time I ahd to give up many of my schedule choices and it is true that the students run the classes. At least I got technology and presentation experience. Overall, I would think real carefully about going to this school.

Posted November 23, 2008

If you like working in groups with people who do not do their work, and you have to do everything just to save your grade, then this school is for you. There are fights there all the time and I learned very little from the classes. I felt dumb after completeing my math and science classes because their standards were so much lower than other high schools. Teachers had very little control over the class, and students misbehaved continuosly. No one cares about your academic future. When I was there, there was very little information about colleges. Even though this school is supposed to be a college prepartory school, they didn't promote going to UC's or CSUs. They need a seperate parking lot for students. All I learned from this school was how to use computers and I also took some college classes which were helpful.

Posted June 12, 2008

Please leave your low expectations at the door when you come to New Tech. Having taught at SNTHS for two years, I got to know nearly every student by name...even the ones that weren't in my classroom on a daily basis. The staff is energetic, professional, and caring. When students first come to New Tech, they realize that it is a place like no other where everyone fits in. Trust, respect, and responsibility are the hallmarks of the school; all students can learn, all students are in charge of their education. At SNTHS, students are not just there to keep seats warm; Project Based Learning is designed to keep them engaged and to be active participants in their education. They learn collaboration, professionalism, and other important 21st Century skills. When they graduate from New Tech, students are prepared to be effective members of the community and in the workplace.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 21, 2008

I don't know what the 'one star' parent saw, but my child is just about to graduate from this school after three amazing years. He started at a large school that really did have the kinds of problems that this other parent describes (regular fights, disengaged teachers, anonymous students). Whatever that parent saw on that day is NOT typical. When talking with other parents of students at this school, they repeatedly speak about the 'family' atmosphere and how comfortable they are with their students attending this school. It's the only urban public school that I know of (in this area) that has this kind of buy in by parents and students. Oh, and as for preparing students for the world of work - - no other school can match New Tech's focus on that one. Just visit the campus for yourself. You'll see how different it really is.

Posted May 13, 2008

I do wish some people gave this school another chance, the fights have stopped and the school is back to the amazing way it is. You will find violence and negativity at any school no matter where, it just seems more obvious here because its a small school. I love new tech with all my heart and im glad it's back on it's feet without any more problems. Ms.Hanzel is a fantastic principal who has taken all the steps to getting our school on the right track, away from those of the larger schools.

Posted April 10, 2008

I am very disappointed in the this school. My two daughters were students, 9th and 11th grade and what they endured on a daily basis due to the negative atmosphere among the students was life changing for them. The teachers who also have to double as security guards due to the inadequate security especially. As a parent I spent all day on campus just last month in March and what I witnessed was so appalling I pulled my daughters out immediately. There were multiple fights, the classes were run by the students and not in good way, making it almost impossible for anyone learn or prepare for future in the workforce. What we were promised in the orientation by this school turned out to be false. This school has turned into a school for the districts student rejects. I will never recommend this school again.

This school's

(2012)

3 / 10

6 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

3 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

6 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

12 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students22%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)54%
Parent education - college graduate67%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate42%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students34%

Fluent-English proficient and English only35%
Parent education - high school graduate43%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)31%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students86%

• Eric Chapman
Fax number
  • (916) 433-2840

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now