Public charter
Sacramento, CA

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 13, 2015
Well in fourth grade they have math and reading with a common core question to answer.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted July 13, 2015
Persistence, grit, and determination is taught in class, but again the children are so disrespectful.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted July 13, 2015
Some teachers do try to develop respect, while others haven't reach that goal yet! They do try, but the students can be very disobedient.

St. Hope Public School 7 4

Posted July 13, 2015
My perceptive will be different, because my child is different. I believe if your child is taught at home how to be respectful, how to sit and read quietly, taught right from wrong, then you wont need the staff to do that for you! The schools will be great for you. Now, I do understand that children have special needs (I have one too)and they are hard to handle and disruptive to not only the class but the school. For them the school has aids that sit with them through most of the day. The rest of the children need parents to step up and make it right, the teachers are not their parents, most socialization skill start at home. My child loves the teachers because she is taught step by step to they all the children get the new skill. Mrs. Hill, Ms. Hurbin, Mr. Hayes and Ms. Brown were wonderful ! I'm sure the principal has had her share of angry parents, she has always been very accommodating to speaking with me and my child. Again, circumstances are always different.

St. Hope Public School 7 1

Posted March 12, 2015
Our experience has been just horrible. The school has great people with good intentions, but severely lacking the resources and training to deal with the challenges that come with serving a vulnerable population. The principal does not engage parents and families in a meaningful way; she will only engage if the parent(s) are willing to do what she wants. It was clear to me that she deliberately avoids giving families a chance to voice concerns because it is too much of a headache for her. The school is understaffed and does not work to educate the entire child. The main focus at the school is achieving academic results, and skims over character and citizenship development. The school and the organization does a great job of selling themselves but does not live up to their very own mission and vision. Last, there is a widespread attitude of complacency towards negative behaviors among many children and families. I have heard and seen staff say, "well this is Oak Park what do you expect!" I hope this review will be helpful to families. I would never recommend this school to any family.
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 16, 2011
I LOVE the education and the college experience that my daughter receives at PS7. They begin planting the seeds of getting a four year college education with kindergarden. My daughter was told to view the college that they toured as a potential college for her to attend and it was discussed as if the students were getting ready to enroll. It wasn't just a "field trip" it was an official look at a prospective college. My daughter is very excited about school and the teachers have been very good at making sure that she is challenged so that she continues to grow.

Posted October 17, 2010
There is a reason this school is rated high on the California Department of Education. There are long days ( like a normal work week 7:45-4:00) but the children get out of school for 3 weeks after children are in school every 8 weeks. If your child is behind in any subject matter, during this school break, their instructors teach them the material while their classmates are on break with breakfast and lunch included for half days free . (this is not found in public or most private schools) In my experience, I have had full access to my children's instructors through email and cell phone and instructors normally call back the same or next day even if its 6 am in the morning. There is also free tutoring in afterschool program as well as every Saturday school for middle school students who need or want more help in subject matter.

Posted April 27, 2010
I absolutely LOVE this school. My daughter is in the 1st grade, and although the first trimester was difficult for her, I believe she has accepted 'homework' as HER responsiblity. The staff is experienced, loving, and focused on the children. The children are well mannered and present themselves as a 'community'. The parents are united and all want what's best for their children. I hope to keep my daughter in the St Hope Schools until she graduates and goes to college. (which is one of her goals since touring Standford Univ. with her class)She is learning academics as well as social skills (which were compromised in a smaller private school)

St. Hope Public School 7 2

Posted February 19, 2010
This school is not for every child-the principal will tell you that at orientation, too. I believe that they serve a certain student type, but if your child does not fit well into the mold, he/she will have a very hard time. They are very strict and rigid and have a long school day, which is hard for kids just staring school. If your child has behavioral special needs, this is not the school for him/her. They are just not flexible enough to work with kids who need different approaches. We had a very bad experience, but I know other parents who love the school and their approach. PLEASE just visit the school and observe class time, recess and lunch. If you accept the strict approach and your child can thrive in this type of environment, you might have a much better experience than we did.

Posted July 15, 2009
I have so many positive comments about this school. My daughter has attended PS 7 school for two years another child will start kindgergarten in the fall. When my oldest daughter started she was far behind in reading and had fallen in the cracks of the traditional public but within the first semester she was caught up and excelling in all areas of education. The environment is very structured and the kids excell. The field lessons are always helpful and beneficial to the curriculum. The college tours show how the school is focused on exposing the children to a higher levels of educational advancement. The parental support groups are phenomenal. The staff is always open to talk and will help you to assist your child while challenging them to assist themselves..=-) I could literally go and on and on about this school.

5201 Strawberry Lane, Sacramento, CA  95820
Last modified St. Hope Public School 7 is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
St. Hope Public School 7 Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top