No rating

Bergamo Montessori School

Private | K-8 | 167 students

We are best known for an authentic Montessori program.

Living in Sacramento

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $217,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,010.

School Official Point of View

Posted April 20, 2010

For the past 35 years, I have had the pleasure of leading a school community of children, parents, teachers and staff at the Bergamo Montessori School. We have created a unique, child centered learning environment, based upon the principles of Dr. Maria Montessori, that challenges each child according to his or her individual skill level. Our goal is to prepare children for life and help them develop the academic, social and emotional skills necessary for success in the 21st century. Pamela Lynn Head of School

Posted August 28, 2013

This is a clean and calm school. And it is good for children of ages 2-6( From toddler to Kinder Gardten)

Posted April 11, 2013

Bergamo has a nice, spacious, up-to-date campus but, it has been disappointing. As a private school, I expected to pay a premium. However, the additional fees are ridiculous. Then, you have to bring in snacks for the class. Make no mistake about it, this is run as a business. If there is a conflict, the vocal parents get the benefit of the doubt instead of an investigation to find out the truth. Meetings are set to tell you what is going to happen, not to find out the other point of view. You are also told that follow-up will occur but it does not happen. When it turns out that the validated complainers were wrong, there were no apologies from the administration. We were lured into this school for the language immersion program which was really non-existent. We stayed for 3 1/2 years because some of the teachers were caring and great. There is a very high turnover rate for the teachers. Look closely and carefully when you are considering this school. Ask critical questions about the extra fees, how they handle specific conflicts and get very specific details about the programs. You may be surprised after digging thru the superficial layer at what lurks underneath.

Posted October 22, 2012

We have two boys currently attending Bergamo (age 5 and 3). We are so pleased that we found this school a year ago. Our boys are thriving here and enjoy their teachers and fellow students very much. My wife and I work full time and our boys attend school from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. daily. I usually have to pry them away from some cool project in the afternoon because they are not interested in leaving. The entire staff is friendly, supportive, and genuinely interested in the wellbeing of their students. Bergamo schedules parent-teacher workshops on a regular basis that help to reinforce what is being done in the classroom and educate parents on current topics. We are very pleased with Bergamo and would highly recommend this school.

Posted July 27, 2012

Where do I start?? I am a Montessori advocate and went to Montessori myself. Our three children started at 3 years old aclimating amazingly to the wonderful world of Montessori. Our oldest just finished 6th grade here at Bergamo and at his graduation speech I was in tears. This boy has thrived and LOVED school and all his teachers. I couldn't be more thrilled with the sound base education that he has and his amazing knowledge he couldn't get anywhere else. This school has kept the traditional Montessori method alive and through their support and guidance it has prepared my children beyond my wildest expectations. My children LOVE going to school each day. What this school has given my children is not only apparent in their love for going to school but in what they have been able to learn. When my eldest could tell us about areas of the world we as parents didn't even know and when they all were reading high above their grade level, we knew this school would give them a free pass to learning as fast and furious as they desired. I LOVE that about montessori....the childs pace. No child is forced to move ahead without feeling 100% comfortable each step of the way!!!

Posted April 23, 2012

The best educational decision we ever made was when we joined Bergamo in 2005. Our eldest son began the pre-K program and stayed through 4th grade and our youngest was just about to finish the pre-K program when we left the country. Their teachers were always supportive, committed and clearly loved our children. The administration was responsive to us and truly worked with us. Their teachers challenged them academically and they developed wonderful friendships with caring, respectful, and kind children. We found the parents to be great. The school is committed to a true Montessori philosophy. Our advice - be an active parent, attend the parent workshops (esp. if you didn't go through Montessori yourself), and become involved in field trips. Also, know that Montessori is not for every child, but, it was truly a great fit for us. Now, we are in a wonderful Montessori in a country with higher test scores than the US and our eldest is among the brightest and our youngest (finishing K) has begun multiplication and reads at a third grade level. WE have NO DOUBT that their Bergamo education is a HUGE part of their academic success. We will never regret this decision.

Posted September 12, 2011

Our child is still at Bergamo; however, we will be leaving this school next year and we are already looking forward to the change. We have only stuck it out this long because the other options in our area are even worse and our child likes her friend. For younger children the school is o.k., but not fun at all and the kids are expected to be little adults. For the older children this school does not have the social or academic climate that is required. It seems like this school only attracts families for a few years and then the families move on. High turnover in staff and it is clear that the focus is on how much profit the school can make vs. the focus being the children. There is something off about the administration; however, it is hard to put a finger on it exactly. Just not quite right. Save yourself the headache, there are much better schools out there.

Posted March 21, 2011

Our son has done excellent at Bergamo Montessori School and we are so thankful that we found this wonderful school. Our son moved up to the Elementary program from the preschool/kindergarten and I have been amazed at some of the things he has learned and how advanced he is in comparison to his friends who go to other private schools. All of his teachers have exposed him to a wide variety of curriculum and they have given him the opportunity to follow up on what he learns and let him take it as far as he wants to go. I love that about this school! I think the rules and regulations are fantastic, it teaches him dicipline and responsability. The structure also teaches him he must work hard and not to feel intitled. Most importantly, our son is happy and thrives in his classroom environment, that is the most important thing to our family! I can't say enough how great this school is.

Posted September 23, 2010

My child loves her teacher. And only for that reason am I considering staying at this school. She seems to enjoy and thrive under the Montessori program. But parents beware: This is a for-profit school. Administrators nickel and dime EVERYTHING and it is not cheap to attend. Many parents grumble at their lack of parent sensitivity and their rigid and sometimes ludicrous rules. Talk to parents first before you sign up. Can be VERY frustrating.

Posted June 29, 2010

My children have been attending the Bergamo/Montessori Day School since 2001. I am extremely pleased with the sense of community that was fostered in my 3 children. Academically, they have more than prepared my childen. I am a public high school teacher and can say that they teach far more than the California Content Standards. Recently, my 13 year old went to a public junior high and she has almost all A's with a few B's. She fit in socially and she is well liked by her peers and her teachers. As a math and science teacher I am most impressed with the Montessori methods around math. My children don't just follow the math rules without really understanding why they are there. The most important think that Bergamo has done for my children has been to encourage and nourish, not stifle the love of learning!

Posted April 14, 2010

Our experience at Bergamo has been fantastic. I am a wholehearted proponent of the Montessori Method. Children develop self-motivation and a love of skills acquisition. The teachers at Bergamo have treated our children with respect an have shown an appreciation for their unique strengths and personalities. The administrators and staff have been open and responsive. The school has been wonderful for our family.

Posted April 2, 2010

We chose this school two years ago for our son after a disappointing experience at a well known public school. We couldn't be happier with the dedicated administrators and teachers. We drop our child off each day knowing he will get ample one on one attention, a tailored, individualized learning plan, wonderful classroom materials, and opportunities for leadership. He is growing in to a competent, confident, intellectually curious young man and we attribute his success largely to the wonderful experiences he's had at Bergamo.

Posted March 16, 2010

This school did not provide satisfactory education nor a positive social environment for our child who attended the upper elementary program. We had to go elsewhere to determine where our child was academically. His teachers were unable to determine and report this to us. Behaviorally, not all students are treated fairly on issues that should pertain to everyone across the board, which confuses the students and divides the school community. Unfortunately, we hung in with the school for many years because the school tried to convince us they were the best Montessori has to offer and made promises they did not keep. Each year we were more disappointed than the year before in terms of how the school was run. After finally moving on, we quickly discovered there are several downsides to the Montessori approach and we now benefit from a new learning approach that motivates and inspires our child. His new learning environment will be successful at preparing him for High School/college, a BIG concern we had with Bergamo. If you are considering this school, ask lots of questions and meet with the other parents on your own (rather than ask for references!) Be concerned if they can t answer your questions concretely.

Posted March 3, 2010

We are new to Montessori. After a LOT of research, Bergamo seemed like a fit for us. It seemed like it was a tight knit community, with lots of parental involvement, great teachers, great philosophy etc. It appeared to be a wonderful fit. What a mistake!! It has not been a warm, fuzzy experience and we are considering leaving. Talk to other parents before enrolling!!

Posted January 19, 2010

I can't adequately express how grateful I am that we found Bergamo Schools. My 9-year-old son has been a part of this amazing education community since he was 18-months-old. He absolutely loves going to school - so much so, he doodles he loves Bergamo on his school work. His reading and math skills are off the charts. I highly recommend Bergamo to any parent who wants a rich and loving learning environment for their child. There is no greater feeling than dropping your child off at school knowing they will be happy, safe and nurtured.

Posted November 8, 2009

It has been a good four years at Bergamo Montessori. We really like the attention to detail at this school and that our daughter has developed a great relationship with her teachers - first in preschool and then in the elementary. Education for our family starts at home and we have found that Bergamo Montessori has been a great partner in our child's continuing development

Posted August 11, 2009

We had a very good experience at Bergamo Montessori School. We recently moved out of the area and my daughter is going to a new school. It is fine so far, but I miss certain aspects of Bergamo, specifically the great families we met and befriended and the teaching staff. Montessori teachers work very hard to set up the classroom and to meet the students where they are academically, socially and emotionally. The teachers at Bergamo are particluarly well trained and dedicated. The Montessori method and the school, in particular, was a great fit for us!

Posted July 11, 2009

I am really happy we made th decision to attend Bergamo Montessori last year. It was hard to find a good program for my 4 year old and I looked all over. The Montessori method and Bergamo in particular has been a good fit for our family. The school is growing a lot, which means that there is change (new students, new buildings, etc.) but the school has handled it well. The thing that I like the best about the school is how the adults interact with my child. It is always loving, caring and respectful.

Posted May 21, 2009

I was so picky about where I wanted to send my child. I visited numerus schools several times, and finally chose Bergamo. The teachers are outstanding, and really work with your child to make sure they're getting the most out of the program. My child is particularly active, but they find great ways to channel their energy productively. I highly recommend the Bergamo program to anyone looking for an accredited Montessori school.

Posted February 2, 2009

My son is the preschool and I have to agree with the other reviewers. The school is excellent. The clean, calm environment is very conducive to learning. The teachers are wonderful and the students have a great attitude towards school.

Posted January 15, 2008

It took me a long time to find a good Montessori elementary program for my 7 year old daughter after moving to Sacramento. I literally looked at every program within 30 miles of my home and was so pleased to find a school like Bergamo Montessori. My child is allowed to learn at her own pace in an environment that promotes respect for others - a trait that is missing from so many of the 'elite' private schools that focus only on academics. I know that when my child graduates, she not only will be a good scholar, but a good person as well! My younger child attends the pre/k program and is reading at age 4 - but I am most proud of the fact that she loves learning and coming to school. Definately check out Bergamo if you are intersted in a quality Montessori program.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Ms. Pamela Lynn
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Rock band
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts
  • Girl scouts
  • Technology club

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis