Bad
Good

Oak Park Preparatory Academy 4

Posted July 24, 2015
The Good: high test scores, teachers who work hard and care, and environment that teaches about academics and character. The Not so Good: high test scores should be expected because students go to school many, many more hours than other school. There is high teacher turn over because of the long hours (classes are usually from 8-4:30). Overall, I believe in OPP. I think it does wonders for students who are at risk of following the wrong crowd and getting more behind in their academics. But if your child is ahead of the bell curve, this school might not be a good fit.

Posted August 07, 2014
My son entered OPP its first year and he didn't do well at all. He was uninterested with going to school and wasn't too fond of the students. He didn't try at all and received F's on his report cards. I knew that he had the ability to do the work, but he just wasn't trying. I thought about taking him out of the school the next year because of the distance we had to travel. I decided to make him continue there because I always taught him to finish what you start and make my lack of funds and gas count for something because I was making a sacrifice for him. During the 8th he decided to turn it around for the better. He started doing and finishing his schoolwork and homework, and participating in his classes. He started receiving awards and it felt good to him to finally achieve something because he was uninterested in the school years prior. When 8th promotion came he received two awards, the Silver Scholar and the Principals awards. He and I were so proud of him I wasn't expecting that so I was in tears! All of my lecturing and staying on him finally paid off! The staff was a big help too, especially Ms. Simmons! Unfortunately this was her last year so she will be missed. Ty!

Posted August 07, 2014
I LOVE this school. I am SO glad to not be dealing with Sac Unified! This school is new, and runs approx 9 hours a day for classes. Students are referred to as "Scholars" and are expected to show up prepared to do their work. They don't have homework . . . they have "Professional Work" in the evenings . . . it's all part of their "job". This school, as well as PS7 and Sac High, is college focused, and keeps kids on track! Mine happens to be on an IEP that I had to scream at the SCUSD to not only get, but to maintain properly. This school asks me what they can do to help. It's small. Lots of personalized attention when needed. I cannot say enough good things about Oak Park Preparatory Academy! And did I mention that while she was below grade level, especially in reading, all her scores are up to level now!?!?! Her reading jumped 3.5 grade levels in one year!!! Leaving Sutter in the dust :-D

Oak Park Preparatory Academy 3

Posted April 21, 2014
Oak park prep ls a great school I just believe that the teacher at the school need some improvent on their teaching skills and when I say this I mean making sure when they(teachers) leave the class that the students understand the material.

Posted October 30, 2013
My son is a current 8th grader at this school. We took a chance on this school being that it was just opened and his class was the first class. He started out with his CST scores as below basic and reading at a 2nd grade level, The teachers encouraged him to do better we saw him succeed in areas he failed in years prior. After his CST scores came back we knew we made a great choice! He is now proficient in math and 6 points shy of proficient in reading! he is now 7-8th grade level of reading just in this one year he improved so much. I am proud of him and all of his success and extremely happy we made this choice to be our son's school for his Jr High years. Thank you to all of the teachers and staff for being on him and supporting him and our family in helping us guide him in the direction of success! Thank you OPP!

Oak Park Preparatory Academy
2315 34th Street, Sacramento, CA  95817
Last modified Oak Park Preparatory Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oak Park Preparatory Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 6 reviews. Top