Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Parent (2 responses)

Posted April 04, 2016
My son has been going here for 2 yrs. This school is nothing but problems. The principal and v.p. don't do anything. My son had gotten attacked and beaten up at school and when we spoke with the school they'd done nothing about it and put my child back in the same class with this child. We found out that this child has just beat up a little girl the day before, yet they still let him attend. There was a police chase that ended up on the school field and no parents were notified and had to hear from my son and how the kids were running for their life. When I questioned the school about it they seemed as though they didn't think it was their job to inform when children's lives are endangered. I don't care where a school is located, if the people working there don't care about the children attending it then things fall apart.

John Reith Elementary School 2

Posted December 04, 2015
I agree on some of the parent post about the child bullied, my child was bullied last year 2014 and mr.blackwood was principal then, now a new principal and everything happen to my daughter shes at fault all the time even if shes right, the bullyin is out of control.i cant wait to pull my daughter out of the school

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted December 04, 2015
Some time i feel they always use excused of being busy teaching, i also understand but kids are our number one priorty regardless, action should have taken place

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted December 04, 2015
No, it doesnt , one of the incident with my child was the vice principal blame my child to respect herself so other can respect her, how can she respect herself if shes bullied all the time

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted December 04, 2015
No, i believe not, it doesnt matter base on race or sex or were we came from but staff she be more professionaly when handling situation

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted December 04, 2015
Principal and staff is un professional and parent are to blame for student action but not always, seem like the school is bad as it and not wanting to take the blame, you can see lots if evidence shows lacks of test score and below others school around

Posted March 06, 2014
My children attended John Reith for many years. After bullying issues I decided to pull my children out. Bullying is out of control at that school. The last 3 years that school has went down hill. The staff is terrible, clueless. Parents are not involved. The school doesn't make the parents accountable for their children's actions. The school is a circus. It's disgraceful. The students here will end up in prison. Children are assaulted daily. It's a very sad situation at this school. I don't care if people are poor they don't need to behave like wild animals like these students do at John Reith.

John Reith Elementary School 4

Posted January 30, 2014
I attended this school as a child and many years later my nieces and nephews attended this school. Now my son will be graduating sixth grade this year from this school and I wouldn't have had him go anywhere else. The teachers and principal are amazing. I have read through these reviews and while I agree there are some issues with bullying and racism, the school does their best to take care of these matters. But the reality is this school happens to be smack dab in the middle of a lower middle class neighborhood that is full of children raised by parents that are racist and bullies themselves. This is not the schools doing. Now if you want to talk about helping a child who's parent advocates for them well then this school will listen! My niece, one of my nephews and my son had special needs. John Reith made sure they got everything they needed. My son went from being pulled out of class daily for help with reading to being an avid reader above the reading level for his grade. The teachers he had are wonderful!! And Mr. Blackwood always makes time for a conversation when you need one. The only thing about this school I don't like is the after school START program.

John Reith Elementary School 2

Posted September 10, 2013
I love my daughters teacher but I don't like how the rest of the school is ran. My daughter had a bullying problem and I had brought to the schools attention and the acted nonchalant about the matter. It is a horrible feeling to have to deal with but I have had to teach my daughter about how to react in her situation. At such a young age she shouldn't have to worry about bullying and how to defend herself. The after school program at first was great but as she moved up a grade level I noticed that these so called tutors where young and didn't allow time to do homework. By the time my daughter gets back from her after school program she is exhausted and still has a hour to an hour and a half of homework. Already in the process of looking for another school. I'll give it till the end of the grading period hopefully it will get better.

Posted May 09, 2013
This is quite possibly the worst school I've ever seen. First the school itself is run down and reminds me of a prison. Second, the staff...oh so horrible. The principle has no clue how to communicate in the digital world. While there are the few teachers that really try, there are some that just don't care and are so aloof they are just there trying to collect a pension. The school has no PTO, no idea how to communicate to the parents and an inability to post a schedule of events anywhere. Often times they give 2-3 days notice of upcoming events. While that may be fine for the welfare recipients around the school, those of us that work and have children that are forced to go to that school because of crazy district boundaries suffer. The after school program was teaching my children how to write graffiti and other gang related material. They also refuse to allow the children time to do homework and act as if nothing is wrong. I recommend you find another school for your children if they are forced to go to this one.

8401 Valley Lark Drive, Sacramento, CA  95823-5872
Last modified John Reith Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.