Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

My son has been going here for 2 yrs. This school is nothing but problems. The principal and v.p. don't do anything. My son had gotten attacked and beaten up at school and when we spoke with the school they'd done nothing about it and put my child back in the same class with this child. We found out that this child has just beat up a little girl the day before, yet they still let him attend. There was a police chase that ended up on the school field and no parents were notified and had to hear from my son and how the kids were running for their life. When I questioned the school about it they seemed as though they didn't think it was their job to inform when children's lives are endangered. I don't care where a school is located, if the people working there don't care about the children attending it then things fall apart.

I agree on some of the parent post about the child bullied, my child was bullied last year 2014 and mr.blackwood was principal then, now a new principal and everything happen to my daughter shes at fault all the time even if shes right, the bullyin is out of control.i cant wait to pull my daughter out of the school

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Some time i feel they always use excused of being busy teaching, i also understand but kids are our number one priorty regardless, action should have taken place

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Principal and staff is un professional and parent are to blame for student action but not always, seem like the school is bad as it and not wanting to take the blame, you can see lots if evidence shows lacks of test score and below others school around

My children attended John Reith for many years. After bullying issues I decided to pull my children out. Bullying is out of control at that school. The last 3 years that school has went down hill. The staff is terrible, clueless. Parents are not involved. The school doesn't make the parents accountable for their children's actions. The school is a circus. It's disgraceful. The students here will end up in prison. Children are assaulted daily. It's a very sad situation at this school. I don't care if people are poor they don't need to behave like wild animals like these students do at John Reith.

I attended this school as a child and many years later my nieces and nephews attended this school. Now my son will be graduating sixth grade this year from this school and I wouldn't have had him go anywhere else. The teachers and principal are amazing. I have read through these reviews and while I agree there are some issues with bullying and racism, the school does their best to take care of these matters. But the reality is this school happens to be smack dab in the middle of a lower middle class neighborhood that is full of children raised by parents that are racist and bullies themselves. This is not the schools doing. Now if you want to talk about helping a child who's parent advocates for them well then this school will listen! My niece, one of my nephews and my son had special needs. John Reith made sure they got everything they needed. My son went from being pulled out of class daily for help with reading to being an avid reader above the reading level for his grade. The teachers he had are wonderful!! And Mr. Blackwood always makes time for a conversation when you need one. The only thing about this school I don't like is the after school START program.

I love my daughters teacher but I don't like how the rest of the school is ran. My daughter had a bullying problem and I had brought to the schools attention and the acted nonchalant about the matter. It is a horrible feeling to have to deal with but I have had to teach my daughter about how to react in her situation. At such a young age she shouldn't have to worry about bullying and how to defend herself. The after school program at first was great but as she moved up a grade level I noticed that these so called tutors where young and didn't allow time to do homework. By the time my daughter gets back from her after school program she is exhausted and still has a hour to an hour and a half of homework. Already in the process of looking for another school. I'll give it till the end of the grading period hopefully it will get better.

This is quite possibly the worst school I've ever seen. First the school itself is run down and reminds me of a prison. Second, the staff...oh so horrible. The principle has no clue how to communicate in the digital world. While there are the few teachers that really try, there are some that just don't care and are so aloof they are just there trying to collect a pension. The school has no PTO, no idea how to communicate to the parents and an inability to post a schedule of events anywhere. Often times they give 2-3 days notice of upcoming events. While that may be fine for the welfare recipients around the school, those of us that work and have children that are forced to go to that school because of crazy district boundaries suffer. The after school program was teaching my children how to write graffiti and other gang related material. They also refuse to allow the children time to do homework and act as if nothing is wrong. I recommend you find another school for your children if they are forced to go to this one.

I am a former EGUSD employee and am appalled by the unprofessional actions of the classified staff to share unfounded truths about a student's family. Parents watch what you say to them because of their apparent confidential issues.

I LOVE this school. They have helped my children with some learning set backs and have gotten them to the level they need to be at. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The principle and vice principle are right on top of everything. My children love their Teachers and love going to school. (how many parents can say that?!) lol. Keep up the Great Work!

Last modified John Reith Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.