2,285 students|Elk Grove Unified

Bad
Good

Posted May 31, 2016
The staff is extremely supportive and motivational. From Miss Tweedy's happy spirited personality that never fails to make you smile to Mrs. King's way of getting you back on track if you somehow fall off the wagon so to speak. The counsellors are incredible individuals, motivating and stressing the importance of graduation even if you have other plans besides college afterwards. The best part is, they are not judge mental. Sheldon staff is the most open-minded and accepting group of people I have ever met, I truly mean it when I say they are a blessing.

Sheldon High School 4

Posted September 19, 2014
Two roads diverged in the woods, one leading to Pleasant Grove and one leading to Sheldon, and I took the road less travelled and that has made all of the difference. Sheldon is an amazing school that has something to offer every student and where every student, not just the conformists, are respected. My high achieving daughter is thriving and feels challenged by the curriculum. Her teachers are responsive to emails and questions and all of her academic teachers provide tutoring several times a week. The counseling staff is great. Because it is a large school, I prefer that my child be in an academy, and there were several excellent academies to choose from. She chose Performing Arts, and it gives her a sense of belonging, and a smaller school within a school. There is tremendous diversity at the school , and many of the students come from the largely working class neighborhoods surrounding the school. Yes, this means there is less parent involvement, but parents are working and there kids aren't entitled. As a parent I appreciate the academics and I don't have to spend my hard earned money on fancy clothes for my daughter to fit in. Take the road less travelled.

Posted June 08, 2013
I would choose this high school again and again if given the choice. My 4 years here were the "best years" I think I could've gotten out of high school. The security and lunch ladies really care about us, staff is fun and they care about you succeeding and the counselors/staff prepare you for college. The organizations and clubs on campus are countless and awesome. I was apart of students helping students, Precision dance/drill team, and yearbook. It is easy to get involved on campus. Very diverse campus - you should see our annual multicultural show! The student-community on campus IS a community. I think SHS strives for a safe campus and it is. Look up SHS basketball - they shine for the athletics department and football games are always so fun. School spirit is high - there is a lot of pride in being a husky... I loved Sheldon - I hope others choose this school as well.

Posted June 05, 2013
This high school has to be one of the best high schools in all of Elk Grove. My daughter went to Sheldon High School and now goes to a UC college. They really help you prepare for college and the teacher and principal involvement is great! I love this high school.

Posted March 28, 2013
Excellent in communication, safety, and education. The teachers encourage parent inclusion and work well with students.

Posted September 14, 2012
Compared to other schools in the area, Sheldon is fairly well-rounded. As you get into the higher level classes, the teachers tend to gravitate towards two extremes: very conservative and very liberal. They are more keen on communicating their personal beliefs through the school curriculum, for better or worse. The campus security is extremely lax concerning electronics. Of the 6 or so security staff on campus, only 1 or 2 will take away your phone. Most teachers won't care either, especially in grades 11 and 12. Behavior issues are intolerable, however. Both teachers and students frown upon immaturity and there aren't any cliques of people that indulge in causing trouble. Everyone is pretty chill. And those that aren't so chill usually disappear before 11th grade. The biggest problem is that non-AP teachers don't take academics as seriously as they should. In some classes, they practically serve you an A on a silver platter. This is especially true in Art, CP English, and any CP Social Studies class. Overall, it's a good social campus with average academics. What you get out is determined by what you put in, not by your grade.

Posted December 10, 2010
It's my first year here, and I think the school is great. The teachers really try to help prepare you for your future, and the amount of clubs and activities is amazing. The band is top-notch, and the school offers you classes no other school does.

Posted September 16, 2009
The classes offered at Sheldon are absolutely great to the point, I wish I was in high school again. It is one of the safest campus'. Sheldon is one of the biggest melting pots of cultures I have seen in a high school, what is more amazing is the kids have no real issues with eachother, they do what they can to understand differences in each culture and appreciate the likeness' and the differences. Sheldon rocks

Posted July 18, 2009
I am now a soph. at sheldon, and I like the school alot, I like that there is more of a var. of students than there is at valley, also alot of guitarists, like me, also the kids are cool, I've only been there since jan and already I have lots of new friends, they remind of some my other friends at valley that I've known since elem. school. And I like the teachers too like my art teacher I had this last year, Mr. spaulding, the reason why I say this, is that in my first week he was imp. w/ my playing and since then we've traded our knowl. of music to each other, in all I like sheldon and I plan grad. from there.

Posted June 29, 2009
This may not be the greates school location-wise, but academically there is so much to offer. Programs tailored to certain career fields and special courses make the school a great learning environment.

8333 Kingsbridge Drive, Sacramento, CA  95829-6085
Last modified Sheldon High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.