Sacramento, CA

Posted July 06, 2014
My school is not as bad as everyone makes it seem. It's just like every other school in the Elk Grove Unified School District. Not every school is perfect, but we happen to be one of the top succeeding school sending students to college after graduation. As a student, I see my school improving each year. At the same time, parents aren't sending their children to my school because of the bad remarks from the "past". My school does have a past, but it has changed from then. Everyone continues to judge it by it's past, but look at it now by its improvements and make it even better for the future.

Posted June 26, 2014
VALLEY IS A GREAT SCHOOL!!!! I have 2 kids currently attending Valley high school. I didnt grow up in the Sacramento area, so I didn't know the history of Valley High. However, after talking to several parents about high schools, many tried to discourage allowing my children to attend Valley, stating that the school was "ghetto" , or other reasons. So I did what any active parent would do....research. I found out that Valley ranks much higher academically than many of the schools considered superior. I found that Valley was a foundation school for the AVID program. I found that Valley had outstanding programs, like Heath Tech, that focus on serving the community. Ultimately I found out that Valley's staff, teachers, and administrators were committed to providing my children an excellent education. So, to all those that think that a schools standard is based on the socio-economic status of the community surrounding it, or that true diversity equals a substandard learning environment....or those that believe the falsehood that the word "charter" makes a school better, my advice is this: Its the people supporting the school that truly makes the difference.

Posted June 23, 2014
I have 2 children at Valley and they are excelling and it is because of Valley. I don't understand why Valley has such a bad reputation. I did not grow up in this area so I do not know how the other schools are. What I do know is a the academic success of a student is not the responsibility of the school. The combined effort of student, parent, and teacher is what helps make the school a success. Every school is going to have fights, kids failing, teachers who don't get involved, but its up to the students, parents, and community to change how the school works for their success. My kids love Valley and I love Valley. And as far as it being labeled as "ghetto", I love the diversity. It also prepares my kids for the future and the many people they are going to meet. You can't shelter your kids.

Valley High School 4

Posted October 06, 2010
In terms of education one of the best in the district if it were not for the bad reputation the school would be at the top of the list in California. The school AVID program is in the top 40s in the nation, the AVID program at Valley is an actually AVID demonstration site. There are many caring teachers that allow students to turn their life's around. API scores have improved every year, this past year their history department was tied for the schools with best API scores in Sacramento. The school can change life's, well at least it changed my life I am now a student at a private University. The Honors and AP courses at Valley are some of the best allowing for students to attend top universities. No matter what others say about the school I would want my kids to attend that school.

Valley High School 3

Posted March 03, 2010
I am currently a sophmore, soon to be junior. In my experience, there are teachers that motivate us to become people with a better direction in life. Unfortunately, there are other teachers that couldn't care less about the safetly of their students. That, to me, is what fuels the students to want to try to keep this bad reputation in the district. I think the absense of parent involvment is a huge factor in this issue. However, we are improving. Our test scores have slowly but surely risen. I personlaly think that the cut backs in counselors & other things will only bring us back down.

Posted December 12, 2009
Its a great school. I dont get why people think Valley High School is bad or ghetto. Yes there are fights but our principal is doing a good job into preventing fights. Most of our students take Honors/AP classes. Vally offers many extracurricular activities. Im a currently a Sophomore in VHS. Im in ASB Leadership, AFJORTC, The Wommens Tennis Team, Track and Field, AFJROTC's Rifle Team and AVID. Also the teachers are very helpfull. 99% of the teachers care about their students. Our Basketball Team last year was in the Championships, Our Wtennis year is rank #4. Our Wrestling team is fantastic. OUR JROTC's Rifle team won 2nd place in the Titan Drill meet 2009. Were always the Underdog. How do you think we feel! We are called'the ghetto school.' Why would you judge us like that. Wecurrently working on our REP and we will rise to the top.

Valley High School 4

Posted December 12, 2009
Valley is way beyond what your thinking. Its not the best, but its great. My daughter is attending it as a Sophomore. And she is very involved. This school is always misjudged.

Posted August 28, 2009
It's the best ever!!!!!!!! i am so happy that i am at this school, i have a lot of fun, and love. ^_^

Posted August 21, 2009
I went to this school and got accepted to UC Davis and University of the Pacific. I'm very proud to have gone to this school with many friendly teachers willing to help you in any way, with personal or school matters.

Posted August 12, 2009
i am going to be a sophmore and i love Valley High, its alot better than alot of other schools think it is. We have great teachers and staff that are always willing to help. I am in ASB/Leadership and i love it, i really get to be in the school community. It gets pretty annoying when others misunderstand us beacause of what we look like, our location, or even the school look, Valley is a safe place to be and there are security always watching your back. The students in our school are alot smarter than you think. I think you guys are missing out on a great opportunity. With the helping hands of everyone, Valley High can be the best that we can be!

Valley High School
6300 Ehrhardt Avenue, Sacramento, CA  95823
Last modified Valley High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Valley High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top