Caleb Greenwood Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 566 students

Posted December 4, 2013

Caleb Greenwood Elementary was already a good school, but now has the principal and teachers to take it much higher. There is a tremendous upswing at Caleb with the implementation of the IB program underway, the only PYP in the entire Sac City school district. The school is located in a safe, quiet, community which serves as the hub of River park. It has exceptional after school programs, arts, music, computer lab, gardening, foreign language...all of which are tied directly to the IB. If you see anything less than an average review for Caleb Greenwood on this website, I'm betting it was posted before 9/2012. I challenge the parent who posted in Jan 2012 stating "The principal is lacking respect for the students and parents. Her best interest is test scores". This is simply untrue. As part of the IB, Caleb is required to include ALL students of all skill levels to be taught the same curriculum, there are no students pushed aside while those who excel are given priority. If her child was not included I'm guessing resources were maxed out, as Caleb does draw in students with special needs. That's a tough balancing act for any principal.

Posted September 13, 2013

A wonderful community of teachers, families, staff, and students! I have had three children at the school and have been very pleased with our experience there. My three are GATE qualified and have always been challenged and more-than-prepapred for middle school and beyond.

Posted March 14, 2012

I HAVE 3 Kids that attend the school And all teachers r wonderfull I enjoy the father and daughter dance every year thanks....From Enrique Angelo and joseph and Destiney cervantes

Posted January 20, 2012

We bought in the East Sac area so we could attend Caleb Greenwood. We have been dissapointed both years we have been there. If you have an above average student then Caleb is a great school. Your child will get the best teacher with the best students. My child struggles but does not qualify for extra help. He is getting the short end of the stick and I feel is getting lost. The principal is lacking respect for the students and parents. Her best interest is test scores. We are looking for a new school this coming Fall. I do love the community feeling that Caleb has and just wish that things were done better to give EVERY child a fair chance.

Posted July 18, 2011

Once this school gets a principle that strives to include the who community of the school, not just certain families, is consistent with supporting teaching staff and is actually friendly to parents on campus, this school will be great again.

Posted September 1, 2010

Our child requires an "IEP" (Individualized Educational Plan) and that is the reason we are choosing a public school. We have been incredibly impressed with the level of expertise of the Resource Dept. I have also appreciated the front office staff --they are very busy, get repeatedly interrupted and are still gracious.

Posted April 14, 2010

They gave our son a wonderful start to his education which will be a lifelong adventure for him.

Posted January 26, 2010

I applied to this school because it has the best teachers in the neighborhood (4th & 1st now attending). They have been wonderful at noticing each child's developmental needs. Socially and intellectually my children have thrived. I am impressed with the extreme parent involvement. The field trips are amazing. Extra school programs include art, music, science, dance, theatre, running club, etc. I have been very pleased.

Posted November 11, 2009

Overall, we are very happy with this school. I think they could find ways to get parents more involved and they have a poor PE program for jr. high students, but overall, we are happy that the school is a close part of its community, the teachers are great and my kids are thriving well in the environment.

Posted December 19, 2008

I have been nothing but pleased with Caleb Greenwood. My son has been at this school since kindergarten, and is now in 3rd grade. The teachers have been supportive and have challenged him academically.We just attended the winter concert and realized that not many other schools have music programs. There are also great afterschool programs as well.The staff has been helpful and always there to lend a hand, and I am so lucky that Caleb has such great parents,too, that participate in the class as well as around campus.Caleb has always had a great reputation and continues to grow and evolve despite tough economic times. We are lucky to have this jewel in our neighborhood!

Posted August 26, 2008

I went to Caleb Greenwood for 7th and 8th grade. I loved the school and the activities we got to do. For our 8th grade trip we got to go to San Francisco. The only two things I did not like is that Caleb is a very small school so going into a big High School was a shock, and the other thing is I didn't feel like the teachers were that involved, but if I had to recommend one it would be Mrs. Carey. [Middle school english teaher] she was the teacher that helped me the most.

Posted September 25, 2007

I transfered my daughter from Kit Carson to Caleb Greenwood two years ago, becuase KC lacked responsible leadership. Although Caleb Greenwood seems to be a better enviroment for my daughter, I am not thrilled about the fact that my child ia aware of school politics and staff challenges. It is also obvious that the children of the mothers that have time to 'shoot the breeze' with school staff or on PTA like programs rcv preferred treatment. I am very involved with my childs education and feel that she excels because of the support she rcvs at home. I considered home schooling, but feel she should have a traditional 'school' experience. Suggestion: Leadership should reach out to all paents and stop catering to the parents and staff with personal drama; it is a school not 'all my children.'

Posted September 25, 2007

My daughter attended Caleb for kindergarten. I was pretty disappointed. Her teacher was really good but the school was rundown and I perceived a lack of support, both financial and professional, from the district toward its staff. I volunteered in class often and saw what I felt were serious deficiencies in well-rounded curriculum, focusing instead on what test scores would reflect. It seems a problem with the state of California public education in general, but I am eternally grateful for those teachers who are committed to making it the best experience possible.

Posted September 24, 2007

Caleb Greenwood School has exceeded my expectations for a k-8 school. We transferred our child from a sit-at-a-desk-and-grind-out-the-work school, and have been very satisfied with Calebs nuturing environment. We consider Caleb to be SCUSD's best kept secret. Music is taught k-8 with a full-time music teacher, Fall and Spring plays via the Missoula Childrens Theatre. After school programs include: talent show, arts festival, girls running club and art. Parental involvment is very high, and completely voluntary. The PTSO is very active in sponsoring many enriching programs. Math is taught at one grade level higher than usual. A new interim principal has been hired, Christine Hanifen. One of our children is gate identified and was invited to attend a local gate school. We decided to stay at Caleb because of the quality of the school.

Posted May 17, 2007

This school is fabulous for kindergarten through second grade. After second grade the teachers lack any real skills and treat the children as objects. Caleb has a reputation of treating girls very well, but if you are the parent of a son I highly recommend sending him somewhere else. Caleb is a typical public school with nothing special to add.

Posted August 19, 2005

I have sent 4 of my children to Caleb-Greenwood and for the most part was happy with the learning environment. I had one major dissappointment, though, when my daughter graduated from 8th Grade with a 3.6 grade point average. Not only was her name left off of the graduation program, but she was not honored as a good student at the graduation in spite of all of her hard work. It took her parents to bring this to the teacher's and principal's attention. She was just overlooked, I guess, as a good student. The emotional damage is there. 'I worked hard, but no one noticed me.' She only got her honors award after I talked to someone. Otherwise it is a good school. I encourage her to continue to do her best.

Posted August 16, 2005

So far the Kindergarten thru 2nd grade experience has been wonderful. Very caring & attentive teachers.

Posted January 8, 2005

A highly motivated staff that delivers a highly engaging curriculum that challenges the advanced to below grade level learner. A wide variety of after-school programs are available, including dance, art, keyboards, and science club. The school has an active Parent, Teachers Student Organization. A wide variety of activities are financed by the PTSO to offer students educational opportunities in areas of ballet and theatre.

Posted January 5, 2005

Up until 3rd grade all the teachers are exceptional. However and with the current principal all new teachers being hired are only yes people and are not dedicated or inspiring or have their students interest in mind. A couple of the teachers are actually very cruel.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 23, 2004

I have one child who is currently attending her 4th year at Caleb. It is a wonderful school nestled in a fabulous community. The school staff is exceptional, talented, and passionate about the childrens' growth, and the level of parent involvement is encouraging. I chose this school after careful research and if I had it to do over again, would make the same choice.

This school's

(2012)

5 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

5 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students62%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab