Phoebe A. Hearst Elementary School

Public | 1-6 | 564 students

Posted April 7, 2011

I think this school has a lot of great programs and certainly parent involvement, and PH certainly meets many children's needs; however, it was not right for my child and our family. We switched here expecting great teachers, but the teacher that my son got was burned out and, even worse, condescending to the children. Furthermore, the rigid expectations and lack of warmth really dampened my child's love of learning--in our opinion they expect too much in regards to homework from children who should still have some time to be children. My son began to develop some behavior problems while here, but happily they were resolved shortly after switching him back to his previous school. I am disappointed we ever tried this school out.

Posted April 2, 2011

I was a student at Phoebe Hearst and here's exactly what happened: Had an absolutely excellent time in second grade Had a terrible time in third grade and switched school Came back in fourth grade and experienced the worst year of my entire life both socially and academically. Teachers came and went and every single student hated me for no apparent reason In fifth grade things were slightly better but not really. At least the teacher was the same throughout the whole year In sixth grade had a very good year. My grades shot up, nearly all the kids forgot to hate me, and I really liked the teacher. However, throughout everything that happened at Phoebe one office worker was really mean to me, calling me into the office for slight uniform violations (i.e. short just barely too short) while not saying a word to more serious violations (i.e. literally a halter top), and I was called in nearly every single day for not wearing socks while others weren't at all. I also received a citation for walking on the grass, which I consider absolutely ridiculous. I am so much happier at middle school now, where you can wear whatever and nobody wastes time yelling at you for insignificant details.

Posted March 4, 2011

Phoebe has super teachers, excellent principal, outstanding parental involvement - and great kids! Phoebe is a wonderful place.

Posted January 19, 2011

I love this school! It's awesome, and The teacher's are super duper nice! I really love my 6'th grade teacher, Mr.Goul!(Hi mr. Goul! It's Kaylene!) XD lolololololololololol XP

Posted February 8, 2010

I completely agree with the latest post from 2-7-2009. The princial is lacking in the leadership department and seems to be focused on the 2nd school he is in charge off. There a few teachers that do not know what they are doing and are a complete waist of the childres and parents time. If you don't have a principle you can turn to when your child is in need, what is the point? I have a 6th and a 4th grader at Phoebe, and as the years have passed I have become more and more disapointed with the leadership at the school.

Posted February 7, 2010

The parents at this school have worked very hard and have fought tooth and nail to keep desirable programs, like art and music, afloat. And of course, the kids are great! Unfortunately, leadership is lacking at this school and the teaching my child received was very uneven. Personal experience with some teaching staff was extremely unprofessional. A small school like this one doesn't afford much choice when teachers aren't meeting your child's need. And the principal is doing very little to weed out those teachers who are just 'biding their time,' while they waste the precious time of the students they are trained professionally to serve and inspire.

Posted September 8, 2009

One of the top elementary schools in the district because it attracts good students. It has built on its success by continuing to attract motivated/involved parents who want to have their kids surrounded with like-minded families. It is not a neighborhood school, so all prospective students must apply through open enrollment. Significantly, this means that the school draws the kids of academically activist parents with high expectations and typically a home environment that augments the school's academics. But, like any school, the student's experience will vary by the teacher. Some PH teachers are just okay and some are great. I believe the school's strength comes from the parents that expect much from their own children. (One child is former Phoebe Hearst alum and one is currently at the school.)

Posted May 21, 2009

Great school. My daughter has excelled here. There does, however, need to be a little more diversity in the staff. There are excellent teachers of all types. I think Phoebe Hearst should actively persue them. You have no idea what added layer of diversity can add to the richness that already is Phoebe H.

Posted December 3, 2008

This is an excellent school. Yes the curriculum is the same as other public schools, but the teachers do more as students must be at grade level to attend this school. This means they have time to learn poems, keep journals do some science, art, music and PE. If you child is at or above grade level your child will get more attention than at other schools. The kids who struggle in first grade are the ones who cannot already read by the time they enter first grade but even these few students learn fast. I feel lucky that my son has an excellent first grade teacher who has a lot of compassion and experience. Don't judge a school just by its test scores. Scores are high as kids are expected to be AND stay at grade level and I'm sure that puts pressure on the teachers.

Posted September 1, 2008

Best API score int he area. Our children are excelling academically and what's most important is that they are loving school because of the great teaching. Faculty is great and principal is wonderful.

Posted August 12, 2008

Excellent school. Great academics. Great teachers and wonderful principal. Parent involvement is encouraged and sought out. This is definitely the best school (private or public) in this area.

Posted June 4, 2008

Big Mistake sending our son to this school, school centers around test scores and reputation dismissing the uniqueness of each child. Our son has displayed anxiety low self-steem and fear regarding making mistakes and not being heard by teachers and staff. As parents we have experinced the staff including the principal to be very closed minded and onesided regardless how we attempt to comunicate, the achivements as well as concerns regarding our son. Our son who was prior to attending Phoebe Hearst was curious happy and eager to learn, since attending this school he has become a robot in his efforts to please and achieve the expectations put on him by the staff. Our son is only in the first grade if we were to do it again we would have never elected Phoebe Hearst as a school for our son.

Posted April 7, 2008

Our son is a student at Phoebe Hearst and the school is great. The opportunities for parent involvment are tremendous and the teachers/staff are excellent. Many people seem to think the school focuses too much on the academics...We disagree whole-heartedly. We find that curriculum is age-appropriate and presented in a way that challenges students while also providing wonderful, positive feedback and recognition. The principal and teachers are always available and willing to listen to concerns/thoughts of the parents. The teachers show a dedication to the success of the students above and beyond what we have seen at other schools. The student body is diverse and the learning environment is ideal. We are glad to be part of the Phoebe Hearst family.

Posted April 3, 2008

Our 3rd Grade Daughter transferred over from a private school at the beginning of the 2nd semester in Nov 07. Our concerns about academic equivalence were immediately allayed. Our daughter has been academically challenged at Phoebe Hearst. We enjoy the larger diverse community and appreciate the consistent teaching and administrative attention. The level of professional dedication to the students and the support to the families shows at many different levels. We are proud to call Phoebe Hearst our school.

Posted February 20, 2008

Focused on test scores to a fault, staff does not have age appropriate expectations of students, curriculum is narrow and very rigid, principal not willing to listen to parents, feel it was a big mistake to send my kid here.

Posted November 8, 2007

There is no better public school in East Sacramento. My children are in an academically challenged, creative and safe environment. The best part about Phoebe Hearst is the community of parents who've selected this school, commit to the 40 parent hours and embrace the cultural and socio-economic diversity of all the families. The parents at this school work together to make the school a great place for their children.

Posted October 28, 2007

All things considered Phoebe Hearst seems like a really good public school. There are a lot of school functions which make it fun for the kids like the Harvest Festival. I am however seriously questioning the curriculum as it seems far too elementary for a child that might previously have had a high quality private education. We have been waiting for the homework to get a little more appropriately difficult. In meeting with my daughter's teacher and coworker it seems as though they have already decided what they are going to say before we even meet. I work at a different elementary school in the district at a low performing school and noticed that the homework is exactly the same. I think the main difference is that at Phoebe Hearst the children are mostly nice and respectful which is a nice safe learning environment.

Posted October 22, 2007

I can't believe this is not a neighborhood school. So many parents are involved in this school, it feels so much like a neighborhood school. The school mandates a 40 hours per academic school year of parent involvement which is great for us because we like being involved with our kids. The art program is growing and so is the science program. You can't beat the academics that this school provides. This is East Sac's best kept secret.

Posted October 22, 2007

This is a gem of a school in the East Sacramento area. We had just moved into the neighborhood in the spring of this year and were looking around for a school and was disappointed to find a lack of good schools in the area (including private schools) and someone told me to look at the API scores for Phoebe Hearst and was totally floored with this school's academic achievements. Needless to say I went and visited and found the school to be a goldmine. My wife and I are professionals and we want our 3 kids to excel in school and we are looking forward to working in this wonderful school community.

Posted October 20, 2007

There is no piano lessons or band practice after school.The Art program is 10 hours per year.Mad Science was offered for the first time last year and only for 8 weeks.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

All Students87%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Andrea Egan
Fax number
  • (916) 277-6739

• Computer lab

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1410 60th Street