Sacramento, CA

James R. Cowan Fundamental Elementary School 2

Posted April 25, 2014
I'm not sure why there have been so many perfect scores for Cowan. The Principal is a joke. She does nothing about the bullying that goes on daily, particularly from the fifth and sixth graders. The sixth grade program is horrible. The teachers are unorganized, never respond when you try to reach them (verified by several other parents), never send work home for parental review and pick on the children they don't like. Had we known we would have placed our child in middle school. Additionally, with the adoption of Common Core, grades have dropped, the teachers are out constantly for training.......it's a joke. They only care about test scores here, so if you want enrichment in other areas, forget it. Second and fourth grades are the only two good years we've had here. We are pulling our younger student.

James R. Cowan Fundamental Elementary School 3

Posted November 09, 2013
My child is attending this year. We had another child here for a couple of years. The Kindergarten teacher is no longer there, she was terrific! this year, one very young,one very old kinder teacher (not sure which is best, old one's grumpy). We took our child out of this school because we did not want to have the same teacher that keeps bouncing back and forth between 1st and Kinder. If you're curious, Last name begins with L. She is awful. not sure how she's at this school.MANY have left because of her. She yells at the kids, kids yell at her, she is short-tempered and impatient with them. If your child has special needs, she won t even include them in the class. They ll be off to the side, on their own. Parents gossipy and nosy. If you don't have time to volunteer in the classroom, you'll be glad.Too much drama. Parents have inappropriate conversations in front of the children, answering personal phone calls, texting, and so on. Some have left because children were bullied. Principal...I have mixed feelings It has been declining since she started there, she did not have previous principal experience, and you can tell. I'm sure she's full of good intentions

James R. Cowan Fundamental Elementary School 4

Posted February 17, 2013
We love this school and volunteer often. Child is in 1st, got another one entering K this coming fall. Concerned about what I've seen in my little one's classroom. Teacher is not patient with them. Interrupts them and they interrupt her. Teacher bounces back between K and 1st grades...uuugh!! she's awful!!! I don't understand why she is teaching at this school. She is L A Z Y...who doesn't wear shoes in the classroom??? Refers to parents by our first name..call me old school, I HATE IT!! now my child refers to adults by their first name!!! Parents volunteering in the classroom are texting and receiving phone calls. Inappropriate. One student seems to have special needs, teacher doesn't help. She makes the students help out! I send my child there to learn, not to teach! I am not sure if the principal reads these reviews...I sure hope that she does. There are wonderful teachers at this school, my child loves school. My child sometimes comes home to talk about how peers argue/fight...For what I've seen, this teacher's classroom is loud and not orderly. It's hard to be in there. Can't she get transferred to a school where she can be closer to where she lives???

James R. Cowan Fundamental Elementary School 3

Posted November 19, 2012
interesting reading some of the other reviews here. One remarked about "not hovering over students and let them live" or something to that effect. the teachers at this school could not be better with the exception of a few. I had to move my children because of bullying at this School. I don't believe I was hovering because my child was having major anxiety at home for a year and a half. After trying to get a program started with no support I then realized it was time to pack it in. The teachers alone can't hold the burden of this bulling issue. It is the job of the Principle to talk to the parent of the children involved. We will miss the teachers but not the few parents who refuse to teach their children how to be respectful to others on the play yard and at Lunch time. Furthermore all the PTC cares about is funds for technology. with this lack of support I'm thinking maybe teaching out children from a computer is not such a horrible idea.

Posted July 19, 2012
Cowan is an excellent school. Both of our kids have excelled academically and socially. The parents do a great job supporting our teachers & that has contributed to the success of our experience. The parents look out for all the kids, we didn't expect that, it's been warm and nurturing. Overall, the teachers and parents care tremendously and it shows in their commitment to the school. As a teacher, they are dedicated... if not, it's not the right school for them because that is the expectation. If you are considering Cowan, make sure to stick around for 6th grade. Our oldest child just finished and it was amazing. The 6th grade program was intense and held our kids to a very high academic standard; focusing on personal accountability and teamwork. The kids bonded a lot, the structure was similar to Middle School, but more personal. The 6th grade year totally prepares the students for higher learning. It's impressive. As a school, we did go through changes this year, but it seemed as if the new Principal, teachers and parents all did their best to adjust by teaming up to do what was best for the kids.

Posted March 25, 2012
The new principal is fantastic. Several helicopter moms have complained about the new principal for not being a bobble head. I respect her for standing up to them, even after they threaten to move their child out of the school. It is amazing how these parents blame everyone else for their child's inability to cope in the public school system. Thank you for taking your child out to home school and shelter them from society. They will make great additions to our world in the future from the comfort of your couch. It only takes a few parents to make life tough for an entire classroom. Let's put the control back in the hands of the teachers. Cowan is a public school and yet several Cowan parents have a sense of entitlement. The teachers, principal and MOST parents are fantastic. Stop hovering over your child and let them live.

James R. Cowan Fundamental Elementary School 2

Posted March 19, 2012
The new principal is unwilling to stand for the children. After countless complaints, she continues to do nothing about a teacher who bullies the children. Two students have left the school this year because of this teacher and the inaction of the principal. Bullying is ignored at this school. It is called "teasing" and permitted to continue. The only thing the principal has done to deal with bullying among the older students is post a small banner on the wall near the office. There are no assemblies on bullying, and no conflict resolution outlets for the children. Had we not had two good years at this school, out of four, I would have given it a one instead of a two.

Posted June 11, 2011
This school is the best school in Sacramento! Both of my kids are the students there. I see a very huge progress in learaning and education in both of them. Mrs Pratton and Mrs. Bush are excellent and very dedicated teachers! All field trips, projects, and every day study just make our children smarter, better, and more envolved in school life.

Posted August 11, 2010
It is a really good school. Teachers and parents are very involved in students' success. Field trips and aother activities are excellent done. The only poor thing is parking. There is no enough space for parking and picking up kids.

Posted October 03, 2009
All the teachers really care about the success of the students.

James R. Cowan Fundamental Elementary School
3350 Becerra Way, Sacramento, CA  95821
Last modified James R. Cowan Fundamental Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
James R. Cowan Fundamental Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top