Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted May 25, 2016
These poor teachers are handcuffed to a terrible federal mandated curriculum and have little options to actually teach using effective methods.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted May 25, 2016
These kids are getting way too much work and killing any self interest for learning.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted May 25, 2016
We were not at the school long enough to form an opinion about this. My issues with this school was the curriculum and the data collection.

Mariemont Elementary School 2

Posted May 25, 2016
We chose Mariemont after two years of researching schools in our district as well as San Juan Unified. We decided to transfer districts to get into Mariemont due to its reputation and two really great visits to the school campus. The school campus is really nice and comfortable, the staff was also nice and the school has a large amount of participation from parents. Kindergarten turned out to be a total wasted year. Our class was always in a state of chaos. The teacher could not control the class and a few kids that were acting out. She was constantly handing out punishment to those kids and giving all of her attention on those few kids. I could see early signs that my kid was losing interest in school. At the end of the year we spoke with the principal and discussed our issues. We had hoped that we just had a bad year and 1st grade things would get better. We got a new teacher and she seemed more than capable to handle the smaller group of 1st graders. After just a few months of first grade, I could see more signs that my kid was clearly sinking into a deeper depression. Hated going to school now and was also having some small playground bullying issues too. It appeared to me that the main issue was in the classroom instruction. Boredom and loss of interest at school evident and had nothing good to say about the school day over dinner. It was obvious to see at home for us with only one kid that up until now was super interested in learning and highly motivated and doing very well all the way along. So I started doing research on the classroom curriculum which I wish I had done before enrolling. What I found out about the new Common Core State Standards curriculum was pretty eye opening and now I could see why my kid was having problems. I won’t get into all the problems with the Federal Government’s public school education changes because there are so many problems with it to try and list here. I can tell you this; it was not what we wanted for our child and I could see that waiting for it to get fixed by government officials or school staff would probably never happen and if it did it would probably be too late. I’m sad that we had to leave what could have been a great environment at Mariemont but since we left half way through the school year my child’s confidence and interest in school has changed drastically so I know we made the right move.

Posted December 12, 2014
We are halfway through our 2nd year at Mariemont with children in 4th and 1st grades. I can't say enough good things about the recent changes that this school has gone through due in large part to the amazing leadership of the new principal, Ms. Beth Wahl. The last two years have been such an amazing improvement. The parents are inclusive and the teachers are great. I love that the school has more diversity than some of its sister schools in the area. It has a warm, welcoming feel, and I feel proud and lucky to be part of the Mariemont family. If you're considering this school, take one of their winter tours to get a feeling for the parents, the campus and to ask questions of the principal directly. I could not be happier with the move that our family made to the school last year.

Mariemont Elementary School 4

Posted January 28, 2014
It is too soon to give 5 stars as we are only starting kindergarten this year but so far so good. We are transfers from the local automatic school which had very poor ratings and I LOVE the decision to come here when we couldn't get into the school we originally wanted (that my other children attended). My child is on the hyper and inattentive side but he only gets appropriate attention and is working it out. You only get what you put into your experiences and it's true with this school as well. Fantastic teachers what we've seen so far. I am loving the staff (I see no "laziness" whatsoever) and we're excited to see how the rest of our years here shape my child's learning and experiences! Haven't met the principle much yet so I can't comment on that yet. Seems very nice though.

Posted October 06, 2013
I was wondering if this school is hard to get in to if you do not live in the school boundaries? Based on positive reviews, test scores, and location, we are planning to send our daughter here next year but I would like to know if there are a lot of kids on the waiting list. Does anybody know? Thank you.

Posted August 21, 2013
This school is amazing. My two children go here now, and as soon as my preschooler is old enough, she will also join the ranks at Mariemont. We have been THRILLED with this school. The parent involvement is through the roof. The teachers are wonderful, and the homey environment at this school makes me feel so good about leaving my children there during the day. We do not live in the school's boundaries, but have been nothing but welcomed and loved at this school! I can't imagine a better place to go to elementary school!!!!!!

Posted June 12, 2013
Mariemont is an amazing community of parents, teachers and kids! Not only are the API scores consistently very high, but there are so many "extras" offered here that are not offered at other schools - Choir with twice yearly shows, yearly talent show, Art Extravaganza, many outreach programs to teach the kids the importance of giving back to our community, Grandparent picnic, programs that encourage families to walk and bike to school, many amazing field trips, beginning and advanced band, and the list goes on! Wonderful, nurturing environment, very lucky to call this public school home.

Mariemont Elementary School 1

Posted September 12, 2012
My son attended here and they said he was hard of hearing and needed speech help. It turns out he had a vision problem. I was basically told he wasn't advanced because we didn't afford preschool. He isn't rich and all the way the right race to fit in with the other kids at the school. He was a transfer in because I worked on Fairoaks Blvd and wanted to be close by but his home school was another elementary in the district. The school principal and the room mother were a clique a total high school drama clique. I was chastised by public email to a group of mother's over a charity project but I had to lay it back down and defend myself against the claims. Rude and unprofessional this school lacks tact. The only thing good about this school was one of the Kindergarten teachers and his Guinea Pig Oreo. My son had to re-take Kindergarten over the lack of attention to his actual medical diagnosis of being vision impaired not hearing impaired. We moved out of state and would never in our lives let our son attend Mariemont or a San Juan school even if we lived in the district itself we'd consider a public charter or home school. If your kids are not rich and 100% white prepare for war!

1401 Corta Way, Sacramento, CA  95864-3055
Last modified Mariemont Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.