John Paul II School

Private | K-8

Living in Sacramento

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $80,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Sweep tile

Posted July 9, 2007

I disagree with a parent comment to 'drive by and observe the curriculum'...How can someone simply drive by, observe the curriculum, or know the curriculum? Until I became a teacher myself and taught at different schools did I realize the curriculum and standards of JP II!!! With the partnership of involved parents, JP faculty and administration alike work very hard together to keep up and exceed the State curriculum standards.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 3, 2007

As a community-member very involved in Catholic education both locally and nationally, I can confidently say that John Paul II School is at the pinnacle of urban Catholic education. The parish that operates it (All Hallows) and the successful alumni that continue to support and fund-raise for the school spare no expense in achieving excellence. From a full music program (including public performances and participation with the parish's full orchestra) to a very welcoming attitude to all socio-economic demographics, students are obtaining an exceptional educational experience. Recent graduates of the combined school (John Paul II is the result of a merger) are already making their marks at Jesuit, Cristo Rey, Christian Brothers and St. Francis High Schools. I am particularly puzzled by the single observer remark that the facility is in disrepair. It isn't. In summer of 2006, the facility underwent a near-total facelift, including full restroom upgrades.

Posted July 3, 2007

The best thing is to drive by and observe the school yourself. I do agree with a comment that the curriculum could be improved especially when you fork-out thousands of dollars.

Posted June 29, 2007

Teachers at JP II are qualified and dedicated. They have the credentials, years of experience, and dedication to children. Some parents are dissatisfied due to their fundraising duties. Add to that their own supervision required for their child to succeed. Sad to know that some parents send their kids to public schools due to the contract-required fundraising. However, the education & values taking place at JPII is immeasurable. I've had my own share of the public school system.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 26, 2007

There was a lot of animosity regarding the merging of the two schools, All Hallows and St. Peter s, which resulted in a lot of disorganization due to lack of communication between parents, students, and faculty. The result was parents withdrawing their children from the school after the first year. This was not the case the second year of John Paul II School. The faculty and students that are there want to be there, and want the school to succeed. The principal, Sr. Maryanne, has an open door policy and the academic and religion curriculum is great. There were improvements to the school campus (i.e, new windows, air conditioning, and fresh paint) with the help of the fundraising. Most importantly my children have their Catholic faith, which is practiced at home, being reinforced at school. John Paul II School is on its way to being one of the best schools around!

Posted June 26, 2007

At John Paul II, input from parents is strongly encouraged by the Principal. She understands that it not only takes faculty and students, but parents to make the school a great one. It saddens me to read the bad reviews and makes me wonder how much involvement these parents had beyond the required participation. This is a non-profit school and fundraising is vital to school improvements. John Paul II has a computer lab, art class, and library, which most public schools have cut out due to budget reasons. There is even a music program being added in the coming school year! The curriculum is great (my daughter was reading by the end of Kindergarten) and the religious education helped my daughter through the death of a friend/classmate. Also, this school has a family atmosphere that you will not find in any public school! -'It takes a village to raise a child'

Posted June 16, 2007

After reading all of the reviews, I am surprised with other parents' responses, and very appalled. I have just graduated with the class of 2007 here at John Paul II. I have attended this school since I was in sixth grade when it was All Hallows. The teachers (both at All Hallows and JPII) worked hard to prepare us for high school. This past school year, we were working very vigorously. I was always complaining, but now, I am proud to say that I am well-prepared for high school, and I am ready. At this school, we have excellent teachers, and very involved principal and pastors. In addition, a child could easily fit in, for there are absolutely no cliques, and is a very diverse school. It just depends on the child to try. I highly recommend this school to all families. -Walter Prado, Class of 2007
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 7, 2007

My children were St. Peter's children before the merge with All Hallow's. I was very excited for the change. I even tried to have my children see this as a good thing. I have been there for two years. I have to say that last year was a good first year. However, this year left something to be desired. I think that the parents are forced to do the fundraising as it is in the contract. Before we would have to do some but not all now it is all the fundraising. It really is sad that I am now sending my children to public school when my oldest had the nine years at St. Peter's. I would urge any parent looking at sending their kids to this school to really look into it. Ask for teacher credentials ask for all information that you feel you deserve to know.

Posted June 4, 2007

I am very happy at JPII. I have done my homework and know how our education is comparable to the other catholic schools in the area and is continuing to improve. Although fundraising is what all private schools rely on, JPII is not as demanding as most of the other schools in the area. The parents and faculty are awesome and I look forward to my children graduating from this school. We have developed some very strong ties and there is also a strong sense of community. So far, the changes that have been made have all been positive ones. I am one for hanging in there and plan on taking an active part in making this school better each year.

Posted May 24, 2007

We believe the quality of the curriculum could be improved, and special attention needed for kids not making the grade. Although, high school students from another school are used for tutoring, there is no accountability in what we pay for tuition. It seems our teacher don't hold their best interest in our child and in other students, we question why? It seems the teachers don't care anymore; here at this school. We're not catholic, and it's a shame that the quality of catholic school, as to which they are known for, fall below the radar to where there is no accountability for both curriculum and teachers.

Posted May 22, 2007

My children are thriving at John Paul II. The academics and spirituality that my children are receiving are excellent. The teachers are caring and supportive. Sister MaryAnne provides leadership for the school and the community. I love John Paul II.

Posted May 21, 2007

My son has been going to John Paul II School for two years. We were there when the school made its transition to 'John Paul II' from 'All Hallows.' The change was not welcomed initially but we are trying to be understanding. A school and a 'team' are not developed over night. We have decided to continue with a third year; hopefully with a little faith it will get better. I'm sure by showing our continued support others will follow our lead!

Posted May 18, 2007

When John Paul II was still All Hallows, I was very happy with the school as a whole. Once merged with St. Peters and renamed John Paul II I was completely unhappy. The lack of organization,religion education, the extreme amount of 'required' fundraisers all leaves little to be desired. The daycare/preschool, separate from the elementary school, has room for improvement but overall was very happy with. I would not recommend the elementary to any other family. It may be cheaper than other schools but probably evens itself out with the fundraiser profits that are expected (you are responsible for the expected profits even if you don't participate). I was referred to this school by both friends and family. I was hoping to instill a catholic religion background - that I never had - and hoped my child would be given a quality education. Didn't happen.

Posted May 17, 2007

My son has been at this school since 2002 (when it was All Hallows). The principal is one of the most open, and supportive administrators I have ever met. The school is filled with a sense of community and the children in the school are taught to be high achievers academically, spiritually, and socially. I have no doubt that my son will be a better worker, Catholic, and overall person because of the education he's received at John Paul II School.

Posted May 17, 2007

This is the fist year of school for my child and so far, It has been the best thing for my child. My child will be attending next year. Can't wait! I think the school has more potential, but I think that involves us parents as well as teacher, etc. I am planning to send my child until the eighth grade. John Paul II is a fun, loving school. I am so grateful be involve with John Paul II.

Posted May 17, 2007

We have sent our oldest child to this school for the past two years. After this school year is over, we will not be re-enrolling. The costs of sending your child to this school do not add up to the quality of education that we as parents are expecting for our children. The facility itself is dated and in disrepair. It's disheartening to see what is being paid in tuition and outrageous 'fees', while area's like the bathrooms are in sad shape. Paint peeling, water faucets leaking, toilets out of order, etc. There is constantly a push to participate/donate to fundraisers. As a parent I feel bombarded and pressured constantly to send in more money than what I've already put out for tuition and fees. Never enough for this administration. We'll be enrolling in the public school system next year. Parents please do your homework on this one.

Posted April 19, 2007

Prior to the change to John Paul II when the school was All Hollows this was a very well ran school from the principle leadership to the teaching staff. Once the School changed and a new principle was placed (who was previously a secretary for the school) the organization has become poor. Kids have received homework that was misspelled and inaccurate. The curriculum is outdated. This once was a very strong educational learning environment but has since changed. A lot of parents have pulled their kids from this school for various reasons. Please do your homework prior to making a commitment to this school.

Posted February 6, 2006

All Hallows Prescholl and After School program is Excellent! The Staff is very helpful and loving, caring, and very perfesional. I don't ever have to worry about my childs saftey because I know she's in good hands.

Posted June 8, 2005

While we do not (yet) send our child to this school, our immediate neighbors send their child and rave about it. In fact, the school is the reason why they moved to the neighborhood. We have heard, though, that another catholic school will be closing and sending their students to this school so potentially the student/teacher ratio could go higher.

Ethnicity This school
Black 7%
American Indian/Alaska Native 0%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Sacramento

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5700 13th Ave