K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My family has spent many years at St Mary’s, but we are moving on next year. St Mary’s is on its 3rd principal in 4 years. Many, many families have left for other schools. During the past 2 years nearly all of the teachers have quit with some positions turning over more than once. And beginning last year certain teachers are being asked to serve two roles. Like, currently the Spanish teacher is also the TK teacher. And the first grade teacher is also the Vice Principal. Last year, the PE teacher taught computers. This year he was asked to teach 7th grade. At back to school night our new principal told us we parents needed to make better decisions. Parents aren’t the problem. Having recently visited several public & private schools I was shocked to learn my child is behind in math because at St Mary’s she has consistently scored very high in this area. While visiting with one of the East Sac public schools a staff member asked about my experience with St Mary’s. She stated several families are coming through their school telling stories about their kids having been treated very badly. Then, she said “don’t worry this is a nice school”. To this point, there is a lot of yelling at the kids. One night I found my child crying at home. I asked her what was wrong. My child said “mommy, why am I such a bad person.” She then explained…”my teacher said I am [unkind words]” and “my teacher said I am [more unkind words]”. My child actually believed that being treated this badly was normal and deserved. If you decide to send your child to this school you should know that starting in 2nd grade the kids have recess in the concrete parking lot. There is no shade, no grass, and no playground. There is also no after school program. Other schools have science clubs, Lego clubs, computer clubs, robotic clubs, karate, yoga, (etc.). None of these exist at St. Mary’s.

If you are looking for a great school for your child, this the place! St. Mary School has a wonderful sense of family and community that you experience the moment you step on campus. The teachers and staff really care and they offer an excellent program. There are full time teachers for art, music, Spanish, computers, science, and enrichment-which is extra help if your child needs it. All of this is included in the regular tuition. Trust me, other schools don't offer all this. My son attended K-8th and St. Mary School is an important part of what a wonderful person he is. I strongly recommend St. Mary School, but don't just take my word for it, as a parent you should visit and decide for yourself-I think you are very likely to agree. As for the couple of not so good reviews, I can only say if you took a poll of the families, St. Mary School would get a resounding thumbs up!

Great academics and a overall amazing sense of community. I love their algebra 1 program and all the extra classes. The NEW principal is great and has a great understanding of the school. Their polices and rules are quite stirict but overall good. Great school and community.

I went here for a semester in 7th grade and my experience was awful. The religion teacher taught from a more evangelical approach than Catholic, and the ideas presented to the class were very extreme. She said if we were gay we would go to hell and she threatened to suspend us if she caught us on a date with another student. The teachers and other faculty clearly didn't know how to handle children and would yell at us often for minor things. For recess we had a yard that was all concrete, and teachers would stand in one place and yell at kids through mega phones. For these reasons and more, I would never send a child of mine to this school.

This school has kind caring, loving teachers and staff. My kids have learned a lot in our time here. Math has been lacking, but they are aware and working on it. Nothing is perfect at any school 100% of the time. They offer great specialty classes that you do not get in most public schools. I took off a star because I do not care for their current principal. And to the poster below about the "mean teachers" I don't think you know what you are talking about. I can honestly say it was probably a you problem not a them problem.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

While a few teachers work really hard, too many are slow to respond, not attentive in class, and behind in posting grades. Their iPad program is ridiculous. Not only are students able easily able to play games and look up inappropriate material during class, there is very little academic purpose/use for the devices. I believe the school started using them just for show. I put my child in this school to be challenged while being around children who were taught morals and proper behavior. However, the curricula is not rigorous and I do not feel my child learned as much as other children in public schools. Additionally, my child reported several instances of sexually explicit conversations, twerking contests, and a surprising number of inappropriate children.

Horrible school. Awful principal (who is there by default as he kept getting fired from previous principal positions). Inept teaching staff. As my son said, "You pay way too much money to have such mean teachers." The educational curriculum is better at virtually any other public school. They did not prepare my kids for high school. Math program always has been and always will be horrendous.

I have two kids that go to St. Marys & I absolutely think it is an amazing school. When we were deciding on schools a few years back, my husband was adamant about our kids going to public schools, not private. Now after experiencing St. Marys, my husband will tell you it is by far the best money we have ever spent. We love the principle- this is his first year so we know he will only get better, the staff is beyond great and the parent participation is amazing. The students are respectful, considerate and just all around good kids.

I have been waiting for this school to reach it's potential, but it isn't, nor do I ever see it doing so, under the dictatorship of it's new Principal, Mr. White. His physical presence at the school is virtually non existent. Yet the changes that he has made to take the fun out of school (crazy hat day, etc) and his determination to find fault and "bad behavior" in students and parents alike is a silent threat that hovers over our family daily. This will be our last year, thanks to Mr. White. Put your money someplace where they will welcome you, your thoughts and your family for what it is.

Last modified St Mary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8