No rating

Brookfield School

Private | PK-8 | 145 students

We are best known for our accelerated academic program.

Living in Sacramento

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $299,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

School Official Point of View

Posted November 20, 2012

Brookfield school has enjoyed a long standing reputation as the finest academic program in the region. It is a rigorous, accelerated program, that is not suitable for all students and all learning styles. However, we have a clear mission, that is to serve a population of students who are sadly underserved by a educational culture of low expectations. Brookfield School provides a culture where it is "cool to be smart," and students are encouraged to excell and take on leadership roles. They are expected to treat each other and the adults around them with respect and kindness. Parents are expected to monitor homework and study, and to support their child's teachers. This partnership results in happy, high acheiving kids who love school, and love to learn. That's why Brookfield graduates are highly sought after by the most prestigious and selective high schools. Check our website: www.brookfieldschool.org to view our students' outstanding annual SAT 10 scores and to learn more about our school's academic program, admissions process, and school culture.

Posted May 13, 2014

My child attended this school for SEVERAL years, not just one. I made sure that before I wrote a review I gave the school and my child adequite time. I mean, how can one really evaluate a school based on 1 year since all 4 years we were there have been so very different based on teachers style of teaching. Does some yell, YES wait until 3rd & Middle School. Are kids mean and bully, YES... give it time these are still kids. Did my child get a good education? Yes (not consistant), but they are getting a great one now. We left because we wanted a strong STEM foundation not just a lot of reading and h/w. My child now UNDERSTANDS what is being taught. There is a difference. If I had to do it all over again, would I choose Brookfield. I can say Yes, I would for the lower grades to get that foundation... after Mrs. B, it's worthless but we stayed for a bit more. I now realized what was lacking and that was the complete understanding of what was being taught. Imagine only being able to read about a beach, versus actually being able to experience the smell, the sound, the breeze the waves cause as it rushes in. Well, my child is now getting the latter which is beautiful.

Posted May 6, 2014

Brookfield gave my child her love for learning back. My child loved learning and now she was coming home exhausted and anxious. After constantly battling homework and forcing reading time, we started looking for a new school. We had her shadow Brookfield for 2 days and she fell in love it with. She said she was able to think and concentrate. She also said that the other kids weren't loud and the teacher did not scream if someone didn't follow directions. She asked to shadow one more day, at the end of the day she asked me not to take her back to her other school. We made the move and have not looked back. She's very happy. She now reads without being prompted, no more homework battles, her penmanship has improved dramatically but most important she wants to go to school. The teachers are caring and encouraging. Yes, expectations are high just like they are at home but she has exceeded them. I have no doubt that she is getting a very solid foundation that will be an integral part of her school life for many years.

Posted March 8, 2014

Caring a great deal about the students I educate, I periodically check this site and read new reviews. Having taught primary grades in Illinois and California--including public, as well as secular and non-secular private, I find Brookfield an excellent place to teach and learn. It is difficult to imagine a more caring and talented team of educators, or a principal better suited to lead them. The students are well behaved, friendly, and well equipped to meet the challenges of the accelerated curriculum Brookfield provides. Add into the mix supportive, well educated parents who share the high standards of Brookfield's teachers and administration...Granted, the physical facility isn't ideal. However, it isn't--and never was--the facility that makes Brookfield so successful at doing what it does best--educating and loving children.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 5, 2014

Brookfield is a gem our boys transferred into Brookfield this year (1st and 5th) from a parochial school and had a seamless transfer thanks to the connected staff and kind students. After two 'shadow days', both had a spark in their eye and said they wanted to stay at Brookfield! Our 1st grader is learning French, challenging spelling words taught in a kinesthetic manner, writing book reports using proper format and grammar, accelerated math concepts, music, daily physical education (not just "go play"), and much more. With a dedicated, loving teacher, no wonder he wakes up early for school! Our 5th grader has never been happier. He's surrounded with like-minded kids who know it's cool to be smart and support each other's successes. The middle school teachers are all highly educated (check website) and involved with the students. Academics are rigorous, which is exactly what our gifted middle school son was craving. The teachers customize the learning experience and present it in a fun and engaging way. We have seen genuine support and enthusiasm from all of the middle school teachers. Both boys are excited about learning again! Nothing but praise for this special place.

Posted February 26, 2014

Our child started at Brookfield with the hopes of bright academic future. After 3 years we left. The schools owners will be their demise. They have troubles making payroll and were asking parents for money to build a future school which will never be. They are located in a substandard building for the amount of tuition we paid. The teachers are not required to be credentialed. The teachers assign work to be completed at home and don't actually teach because of the mass volume of material the owners require them to cover. Homelife is miserable because parents have to be involved with their childs homework nightly. For what the students do retain, they can't explain because it's rote memorization. The Elementary Grades are where most of the high reviews are from as the parents were asked to post on the site to improve the schools rating. Families are leaving the school frequently and going to much better run private schools with modern facilities for less cost of tuition. Don't drink the kool-aid folks.

Posted February 19, 2014

I am saddened to say that Brookfield has declined over the past couple years I am a Parent and have seen that Brookfield has been getting worse every year for one thing the school no longer has a legible athletic program also students have been complaining about the full Fridays and only having 1st Fridays as short days and for bake sale. There are also few elective choices. The good Brookfield reviews are really only coming from the elementary part, but what about the middle school. All of the boys in 8th decided to leave. I hope Brookfield improves

Posted October 30, 2013

My daughter is a first grader at Brookfield School. We love sending our child here. The teachers are very engaged and keep parents in the loop regarding the student's progress. I even get text messages when my child's report card has been posted online (to their secure server). Dr. Jo Gonsalves, the Principal has a knack for finding and hiring true gems as teachers: Ms. Angie Pfleiderer for Pre-First students, Ms. Mertel for Pre-First, Mr. David Shackelford and Mr. Davis. You can tell that all of them have found their true calling in teaching. Mr. Shackelford emails us regularly sharing the progress our child makes at the school. If your child is ready for an advanced curriculum, then this is the best place to send them. You get the sense that the teacher and the parents are truly part of the same team helping your child blossom. Kudos to the Brookfield Principal and her teaching staff for all that they do!

Posted October 17, 2013

We love Brookfield!!! We have two children at Brookfield and are preparing to send our third in two years. This diverse school has proven over and over again to be the perfect blend of academic challenge and creativity. The kids do not even realize how advanced they are as it is all they've known. They are reading chapter books, writing essays and completing 2nd grade math problems by the end of kindergarten (pre-first). They learn in fun, unique ways and the teaching staff (all of which are exceptional) are excited, motivated and available no matter what time of the day to both you and your child. This school is not for everyone, however. You have to work with your child everyday on homework and projects. If you aren't willing to make this time, you should probably look elsewhere. For us, being part of our kids' academic enrichment is very important. The principal is also incredibly involved - she does weekly newsletters, allows for drop-ins and checks emails frequently. My husband and I never had this kind of experience as children. We are so proud to be Brookfiejd parents. :-)

Posted October 17, 2013

Brookfield has been a wonderful learning environment for our daughter. She is learning so much in a challenging academic environment, and she absolutely loves it!

Posted October 17, 2013

Mrs. Mertell is the msot amazing teacher. Mrs. Mertell is warm, loving, caring, never judgemental, enthusiastic, and eager to teach the children. My daughter looks forward to school every morning and returns in the evening bragging about her day. The staff at the school always greets parents and children with warm smiles and genuine attitudes. The correspondence between the school and parents is open and always flowing. I feel informed and welcome to call the staff and teachers. There have even been instances of Mrs. Mertell exchanging emails with me into the late night hours. Amazing school! I am eager to send my youngest there, once she is old enough. I can't say enough wonderful things about my daughter's experience and my experience with the school, staff, and teachers.

Posted October 17, 2013

Wow, after reading some of the reviews I am just perplexed. I spend very little time on blogs and typically take reviews with a grain of salt whenever I am online researching anything, but I feel compelled to submit a review in defense of this wonderful little school. I relocated from the Bay Area and I come from a very high standard of academics. I have found Brookfield to be an exceptional school. Just to clarify, the school rents space from a Jewish Temple, and is a non-secular school. Tuition is about $11,000. Class sizes are very small.I have a 3rd grader we ranged from 11-14 children in the class.My child is thriving in this environment. The children are nurturing and supportive to one another. They genuinely love learning and I see excitement and drive.The campus is a bit dated, and a new school is in construction. I prioritize a stellar education over older buildings - not whether each kid has an iPad. This is a school where your child will thrive and have a supportive and positive peer group to learn with. We have great diversity and a group of parents that value education and placing their child in a safe environment.

Posted October 17, 2013

My third child is at Brookfield right now and is receiving an amazing education, just like her two older siblings, and her mother. The standards that Brookfield teachers hold the students to are very high, both academically and personally. Our kids' test scores on the annual SAT 10(and SAT 9, previously) show how academically rigorous the curriculum and accountability is at Brookfield. They have learned how to be integral parts of teams and to hold themselves personally accountable for their school work and responsibilities. Brookfield is a wonderfully enriching environment for all students.

Posted October 17, 2013

Our son just started attending Brookfield and we are amazed at how well he is doing. The school is all about the childrens learning experience with a primary focus on strong academic curriculum and personal attention. The principle, teachers, and staff are attentive, helpful, and understanding in my interactions with them. Taking all my questions and concerns and displaying a true positive attitude toward learning. I look forward to all the knowledge our son will be getting and comfortable with the schools personal attention that encourages student achievement and responsible behavior.

Posted October 17, 2013

Brookfield so far has been very good for our daughter who is a new transfer student this year; she was in a locall catholic shool before and simply wasn't academically challenged enough. This school offers small classes and thus an intense learning environment with what so far appears to be very motivated teachers. We couldn't be happier!

Posted October 17, 2013

My daughter is in Pre-First (Brookfield's Kindergarten) and we just LOVE IT! The Principal, Dr. Jo is amazing. The Pre-First teachers are top notch. You wouldn't believe what these kids are learning and happily...reading, writing, spelling, math!!! No waiting around for kindergarten year to "be over" so they can actually learn something (which is what all of my friends with kids in public school are saying). In addition, they are learning French...yes, REALLY LEARNING French!! And have PE and music classes which the kids just love. They are learning computer use. The teachers in these subject areas are fantastic. The student body is very well balanced, well mannered, and very bright. What a great peer group in all grades! The parents are wonderful. We are SO happy with our decision to enroll our daughter here. Thank you for being here, Brookfield!

Posted October 13, 2013

Parents beware! The principal tries, but Dont let the pretty website fool you. I have two children at this school and have for the past two years (im currently in the process of looking at other schools). My kids have had a couple of really caring teachers. The cons: 1). High tuition for low ROI -- the academics in some of the grades are good, BUT they are on par with many of the FREE local gate programs. 2). Lots of teacher turnover. The teachers that are there now are underpaid for the demands placed on them by the owners. The art and music program for the past year has been sub-par at best 3). The facility (which has NO air conditioning in most of the classrooms, the restrooms are NO DIFFERENT than a public resttoom at a gas station, NO CAFETERIA-- so the children must eat outside, regardless of weather conditions, a sub-par sports program (in fact student teams often play against each other due to the fact that the local schools dont recognize our program as viable 4). The fact that the 2013 8th grade graduating class only had about 7 students is clear that most people learn quick and dont tend to stick around for 5th-8th grade. This school is degrading quickly.

Posted September 22, 2013

This school is not worth the cost. The owners are running a for-profit business, so their number one goal is to make money, not care about the kids or parents.

Posted August 27, 2013

Our child is now in her second year at Brookfield School and we couldn t be happier. Brookfield has an accelerated curriculum, but it is a vibrant, diverse, and child-centered place for learning. Class sizes are half the size of public schools; teachers are enthusiastic and engaged with parents as well as with the children. The school provides study hall each afternoon for students to work on their homework and there is a comprehensive K-8 sports program that the public schools just can t offer. The facility is a 50 s style building not unlike parochial schools in the area, but a brand new facility is on the horizon. Parents are not asked to fundraise and the tuition cost is worth every dollar spent. The school leader and principal, Dr. Jo sets the tone for the school with grace and humor amidst high expectations. We turned down one of the best public charters in the area for Brookfield and have no regrets. On week into summer vacation, our child was longing to go back to Brookfield.

Posted July 1, 2013

I am saddened by the changes over the years and the decimation of extra curricular programs. Our middle school children no longer have a music program to participate in. The firing of the previous instructors of 40 plus years was not warranted and we withheld comment until we had a year of instruction from the new teacher. Definitely not qualifiied to teach a show choir or musical theater program. Very unhappy as we now need to find other musical outlets for our children. Nothing left for upper grade students and that has many students opting for others schools at 7th & 8th grade levels.

Posted January 24, 2013

My son is a transfer student at Brookfield. We couldn't ask for a more welcoming place for him. He is finally challenged academically and is more at home with his peers. He told me that he "loves the school because everyone in his class is like him". He is excelling in the excellent learning environment at Brookfield.

Asian or Pacific Islander 17% 11%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
Chinese (Mandarin)
French
German
Italian
Russian
Spanish
Swedish, Korean
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Christian Brothers Math Invitational (2013)
  • Middle School Debate League (2014)
  • National French Contest (2014)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Science club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:50 am
School end time
  • 3:20 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Jo Gonsalves, Ed.D. "Dr. Jo"
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Tutor(s)
  • Audiovisual aids
  • Auditorium
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Technical design and production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Guest speakers
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council