PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Brookfield school has enjoyed a long standing reputation as the finest academic program in the region. It is a rigorous, accelerated program, that is not suitable for all students and all learning styles. However, we have a clear mission, that is to serve a population of students who are sadly underserved by a educational culture of low expectations. Brookfield School provides a culture where it is "cool to be smart," and students are encouraged to excell and take on leadership roles. They are expected to treat each other and the adults around them with respect and kindness. Parents are expected to monitor homework and study, and to support their child's teachers. This partnership results in happy, high acheiving kids who love school, and love to learn. That's why Brookfield graduates are highly sought after by the most prestigious and selective high schools. Check our website: www.brookfieldschool.org to view our students' outstanding annual SAT 10 scores and to learn more about our school's academic program, admissions process, and school culture.
November 20, 2012

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Brookfield is the best place we can imagine for our child. Many choose Brookfield for the exceptional academic program, but what we appreciate above all is the high level of teacher involvement. Since Kindergarten, our child has felt nurtured and valued by the teachers. Each classroom averages only 12-16 students, so the children receive all the guidance they need academically, personally, and socially. The teachers are very caring and extremely dedicated. Every grade level teacher we've had has created a very positive and memorable experience for our child. The staff and students create a community that is safe and supportive and builds social confidence. Communication between teachers and parents is very reassuring. Some teachers provide daily emails about classroom happenings; some, like the Kindergarten teacher, take the time to send regular photo albums so parents can see what their child is enjoying. These teachers love to teach, and it shows. Brookfield has brought out the best in my child. I thank Brookfield's teachers for helping me raise a kind, confident, creative and happy child. Brookfield is a wonderful place to learn and grow.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I have never met a better set of teachers, and I have a few friends that teach (not at Brookfield) I wish I could go back to Elementary School to have these teachers and this educational experience.

Amount of homework: Agree

In first grade, now, my daughter does her homework in the car on the way home 20 minutes. You get a book report a month - but that is great, it really gets you and your child talking about the book that they and you read - it helps them retain, and understand what they are reading.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Brookfield has strong values, and talks about honesty, promotes honesty and recognizes it. They emphasize on sharing and working together.

Our family and daughter are so very happy with Brookfield. You will not find better Teachers. They are experienced, happy, love teaching, well rounded and so GREAT at teaching the children - the kids LOVE their Teachers. I pinch myself very day for being so lucky that our daughter has such a great teacher and her past teacher was just as great. This school has the best class size,small, so the teachers get to teach and be personable with each child, so that they can learn, understand and feel accomplished. This school offers much more than academics - yes, the academics are challenging, but isn't that what we are asking for from out public schools? Our daughter gets music, she get French and performs in musicals, christmas events, celebrations etc. It is not just academics everyday. They offer activities before and after school - as an example Ballroom Dance, Swimming, Basket Ball etc. If you want an athlete you will enroll your child in a Athletic Program, but if you want a well rounded education, and prepared child you should look at and enroll in Brookfield. I would also like to mention that I can't say enough about the families that all support the school - they are amazing, kind, educated, friendly, and support the school and the events. Brookfield has a great PTA. I don't believe you can find a better place than this.

Amount of homework: Disagree

"Too much" might be too strong. It is difficult to tell as my daughter is still becoming more efficient with homework tasks and time management. Better this year than last and last year the school reassessed the homework load and made adjustments which I felt was impressive.

Starting my daughter with a Montessori school so as to begin schooling early with that method of teaching was a good decision. Then to a local public school where it took only 9 days to realize that that was no place for learning so then homeschooling. There, the amount accomplished in much less time was near to remarkable. Then to a charter school whose best attribute was a good business plan but where my daughter was bored for being unchallenged and so was effectively learning how to fly under the radar of a teacher's attention. Then, now, Brookfield. Brookfield has been a good decision for and by our daughter. And "by our daughter" is the big part of why I like it. Now, my daughter is enjoying the company of like-minded students all of whom are liking the idea of being and becoming smart. And the diversity only enriches the whole experience, dollars, colors and cultures. Brookfield is an impressive school and I would argue that this is because Brookfield struggles well to live up to its philosophy/mission statement. Most school statements, I have found, come from the business side of things and so arise out of the need for public relations rather than from any declaration of guiding principles. Minimal-to-no correlation between the talk and the walk. As a result, such mission statements have no real eye on any educational prize. Not so Brookfield's. Brookfield's philosophy statement rings true. Add to that their history of success... Amidst the myriad of choices for educating children, finding the one that struggles well to remain true to a greater ideal, and remains agile in the day-to-day changes and challenges, that school should be on the short list. It's just a rare thing to find. I submit that anyone who's able to consider, and be considered by, Brookfield should. Plus, its fun to happen upon Brookfield alum and see where they are now...

Pros: (1) Brookfield does push your child academically. (2) It is a small campus with caring teachers. (3) Everyone knows your child by name. (4)I feel safe leaving my kids here at Brookfield; and they seem happy to be at Brookfield. Cons: (1) Brookfield is not very strong when it comes to extracurricular activities such as Speech and Debate, Math Competition, Robotics, Spelling Bee, and the like. It is not very often that Brookfield kids placed in the top three ranks when competing against other schools, because Brookfield does not have enough student body to build strong teams to compete against other schools. (2) Brookfield definitely is not strong in any sports. If you are looking for a school which can accelerate your kid(s) academically, Brookfield does a fine job in fulfilling this role for the most part. If you are looking for a school which can help produce a well-rounded individual, Brookfield might not be your first choice. (3) Having been at Brookfield for the last five years, I feel that the principal, Dr. Jo, is not very personable and understanding when it comes to your and your child’s needs. However, she does appear very nice when you first meet her.

We enrolled our 3 year old daughter in the 3 year old class last year. While we have mostly praise for Ms. Christina Lopez, we take issue with the fact that the whole time we were there, we seemed to be constantly fighting with them over our daughter's placement and disagreed with what steps should be taken to further her progress. Our daughter is adopted from China and they really do not deal well with the concerns of parents of children who have recently been adopted and who are still adjusting to life in America. I understand the need for standards, but my husband and I were sorely disppointed by their unwillingness to work with adoptive families on getting their children adjusted and up to speed. I would NOT recommend Brookfield to any adoptive families or to any families with special needs children. Brookfield tends to focus on academics. It is not as nurturing as some other schools. Our daughter is now at Merryhill and is thriving.

We just enrolled our 4 year old boy in Brookfield for their brand new pre-school program. We are so happy that we made the move to Brookfield. The program director Janie is always there to make sure all your questions answered. Dr. Jo did great job welcoming us to the community. Ms. Williams made their first week transition as smooth as possible. My child is learning actively everyday and Ms. Williams has a monthly teaching planner for her class. She is a very caring teacher and the kids love her. My boy tells me everyday that he loves his school and Ms. Williams. As parents, we can't say enough thank you to the school!

Last modified Brookfield School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8