School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Brookfield school has enjoyed a long standing reputation as the finest academic program in the region. It is a rigorous, accelerated program, that is not suitable for all students and all learning styles. However, we have a clear mission, that is to serve a population of students who are sadly underserved by a educational culture of low expectations. Brookfield School provides a culture where it is "cool to be smart," and students are encouraged to excell and take on leadership roles. They are expected to treat each other and the adults around them with respect and kindness. Parents are expected to monitor homework and study, and to support their child's teachers. This partnership results in happy, high acheiving kids who love school, and love to learn. That's why Brookfield graduates are highly sought after by the most prestigious and selective high schools. Check our website: www.brookfieldschool.org to view our students' outstanding annual SAT 10 scores and to learn more about our school's academic program, admissions process, and school culture.
November 20, 2012

Brookfield School 4

Posted November 21, 2014
This is my son's first term at Brookfield. He has attended four private schools- 3 in CA and one one the East Coast. Was the transition for my son bumpy in the beginning? Yes. Have Dr. Gonsalves and her staff listened to our concerns and supported us during the transition? Absolutely. We have been here for less than a year, and my son is flourishing both academically and socially. Dr. Gonsalves has personally done everything she can to welcome us into the Brookfield fold and ensure that our son is academically on track. Her genuine dedication to the Brookfield community, and considerable educational experience has been a blessing and a source of reassurance. We looked into several schools in the area before deciding to enroll our son here, and we haven't looked back.

Brookfield School 3

Posted May 13, 2014
My child attended this school for SEVERAL years, not just one. I made sure that before I wrote a review I gave the school and my child adequite time. I mean, how can one really evaluate a school based on 1 year since all 4 years we were there have been so very different based on teachers style of teaching. Does some yell, YES wait until 3rd & Middle School. Are kids mean and bully, YES... give it time these are still kids. Did my child get a good education? Yes (not consistant), but they are getting a great one now. We left because we wanted a strong STEM foundation not just a lot of reading and h/w. My child now UNDERSTANDS what is being taught. There is a difference. If I had to do it all over again, would I choose Brookfield. I can say Yes, I would for the lower grades to get that foundation... after Mrs. B, it's worthless but we stayed for a bit more. I now realized what was lacking and that was the complete understanding of what was being taught. Imagine only being able to read about a beach, versus actually being able to experience the smell, the sound, the breeze the waves cause as it rushes in. Well, my child is now getting the latter which is beautiful.

Posted May 06, 2014
Brookfield gave my child her love for learning back. My child loved learning and now she was coming home exhausted and anxious. After constantly battling homework and forcing reading time, we started looking for a new school. We had her shadow Brookfield for 2 days and she fell in love it with. She said she was able to think and concentrate. She also said that the other kids weren't loud and the teacher did not scream if someone didn't follow directions. She asked to shadow one more day, at the end of the day she asked me not to take her back to her other school. We made the move and have not looked back. She's very happy. She now reads without being prompted, no more homework battles, her penmanship has improved dramatically but most important she wants to go to school. The teachers are caring and encouraging. Yes, expectations are high just like they are at home but she has exceeded them. I have no doubt that she is getting a very solid foundation that will be an integral part of her school life for many years.

Posted March 08, 2014
Caring a great deal about the students I educate, I periodically check this site and read new reviews. Having taught primary grades in Illinois and California--including public, as well as secular and non-secular private, I find Brookfield an excellent place to teach and learn. It is difficult to imagine a more caring and talented team of educators, or a principal better suited to lead them. The students are well behaved, friendly, and well equipped to meet the challenges of the accelerated curriculum Brookfield provides. Add into the mix supportive, well educated parents who share the high standards of Brookfield's teachers and administration...Granted, the physical facility isn't ideal. However, it isn't--and never was--the facility that makes Brookfield so successful at doing what it does best--educating and loving children.

Posted March 05, 2014
Brookfield is a gem our boys transferred into Brookfield this year (1st and 5th) from a parochial school and had a seamless transfer thanks to the connected staff and kind students. After two 'shadow days', both had a spark in their eye and said they wanted to stay at Brookfield! Our 1st grader is learning French, challenging spelling words taught in a kinesthetic manner, writing book reports using proper format and grammar, accelerated math concepts, music, daily physical education (not just "go play"), and much more. With a dedicated, loving teacher, no wonder he wakes up early for school! Our 5th grader has never been happier. He's surrounded with like-minded kids who know it's cool to be smart and support each other's successes. The middle school teachers are all highly educated (check website) and involved with the students. Academics are rigorous, which is exactly what our gifted middle school son was craving. The teachers customize the learning experience and present it in a fun and engaging way. We have seen genuine support and enthusiasm from all of the middle school teachers. Both boys are excited about learning again! Nothing but praise for this special place.

Brookfield School 1

Posted February 26, 2014
Our child started at Brookfield with the hopes of bright academic future. After 3 years we left. The schools owners will be their demise. They have troubles making payroll and were asking parents for money to build a future school which will never be. They are located in a substandard building for the amount of tuition we paid. The teachers are not required to be credentialed. The teachers assign work to be completed at home and don't actually teach because of the mass volume of material the owners require them to cover. Homelife is miserable because parents have to be involved with their childs homework nightly. For what the students do retain, they can't explain because it's rote memorization. The Elementary Grades are where most of the high reviews are from as the parents were asked to post on the site to improve the schools rating. Families are leaving the school frequently and going to much better run private schools with modern facilities for less cost of tuition. Don't drink the kool-aid folks.

Brookfield School 2

Posted February 19, 2014
I am saddened to say that Brookfield has declined over the past couple years I am a Parent and have seen that Brookfield has been getting worse every year for one thing the school no longer has a legible athletic program also students have been complaining about the full Fridays and only having 1st Fridays as short days and for bake sale. There are also few elective choices. The good Brookfield reviews are really only coming from the elementary part, but what about the middle school. All of the boys in 8th decided to leave. I hope Brookfield improves

Posted October 30, 2013
My daughter is a first grader at Brookfield School. We love sending our child here. The teachers are very engaged and keep parents in the loop regarding the student's progress. I even get text messages when my child's report card has been posted online (to their secure server). Dr. Jo Gonsalves, the Principal has a knack for finding and hiring true gems as teachers: Ms. Angie Pfleiderer for Pre-First students, Ms. Mertel for Pre-First, Mr. David Shackelford and Mr. Davis. You can tell that all of them have found their true calling in teaching. Mr. Shackelford emails us regularly sharing the progress our child makes at the school. If your child is ready for an advanced curriculum, then this is the best place to send them. You get the sense that the teacher and the parents are truly part of the same team helping your child blossom. Kudos to the Brookfield Principal and her teaching staff for all that they do!

Posted October 17, 2013
We love Brookfield!!! We have two children at Brookfield and are preparing to send our third in two years. This diverse school has proven over and over again to be the perfect blend of academic challenge and creativity. The kids do not even realize how advanced they are as it is all they've known. They are reading chapter books, writing essays and completing 2nd grade math problems by the end of kindergarten (pre-first). They learn in fun, unique ways and the teaching staff (all of which are exceptional) are excited, motivated and available no matter what time of the day to both you and your child. This school is not for everyone, however. You have to work with your child everyday on homework and projects. If you aren't willing to make this time, you should probably look elsewhere. For us, being part of our kids' academic enrichment is very important. The principal is also incredibly involved - she does weekly newsletters, allows for drop-ins and checks emails frequently. My husband and I never had this kind of experience as children. We are so proud to be Brookfiejd parents. :-)

Posted October 17, 2013
Brookfield has been a wonderful learning environment for our daughter. She is learning so much in a challenging academic environment, and she absolutely loves it!

Brookfield School