PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Brookfield school has enjoyed a long standing reputation as the finest academic program in the region. It is a rigorous, accelerated program, that is not suitable for all students and all learning styles. However, we have a clear mission, that is to serve a population of students who are sadly underserved by a educational culture of low expectations. Brookfield School provides a culture where it is "cool to be smart," and students are encouraged to excell and take on leadership roles. They are expected to treat each other and the adults around them with respect and kindness. Parents are expected to monitor homework and study, and to support their child's teachers. This partnership results in happy, high acheiving kids who love school, and love to learn. That's why Brookfield graduates are highly sought after by the most prestigious and selective high schools. Check our website: www.brookfieldschool.org to view our students' outstanding annual SAT 10 scores and to learn more about our school's academic program, admissions process, and school culture.
November 20, 2012

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted December 04, 2015
"Too much" might be too strong. It is difficult to tell as my daughter is still becoming more efficient with homework tasks and time management. Better this year than last and last year the school reassessed the homework load and made adjustments which I felt was impressive.

Posted December 04, 2015
Starting my daughter with a Montessori school so as to begin schooling early with that method of teaching was a good decision. Then to a local public school where it took only 9 days to realize that that was no place for learning so then homeschooling. There, the amount accomplished in much less time was near to remarkable. Then to a charter school whose best attribute was a good business plan but where my daughter was bored for being unchallenged and so was effectively learning how to fly under the radar of a teacher's attention. Then, now, Brookfield. Brookfield has been a good decision for and by our daughter. And "by our daughter" is the big part of why I like it. Now, my daughter is enjoying the company of like-minded students all of whom are liking the idea of being and becoming smart. And the diversity only enriches the whole experience, dollars, colors and cultures. Brookfield is an impressive school and I would argue that this is because Brookfield struggles well to live up to its philosophy/mission statement. Most school statements, I have found, come from the business side of things and so arise out of the need for public relations rather than from any declaration of guiding principles. Minimal-to-no correlation between the talk and the walk. As a result, such mission statements have no real eye on any educational prize. Not so Brookfield's. Brookfield's philosophy statement rings true. Add to that their history of success... Amidst the myriad of choices for educating children, finding the one that struggles well to remain true to a greater ideal, and remains agile in the day-to-day changes and challenges, that school should be on the short list. It's just a rare thing to find. I submit that anyone who's able to consider, and be considered by, Brookfield should. Plus, its fun to happen upon Brookfield alum and see where they are now...

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 28, 2015
Mr. Bogart and Ms. Brinsky (retired) are the best teachers at Brookfield. They push your kids to the limit. They are awesome beyond words.

Brookfield School 4

Posted November 28, 2015
Pros: (1) Brookfield does push your child academically. (2) It is a small campus with caring teachers. (3) Everyone knows your child by name. (4)I feel safe leaving my kids here at Brookfield; and they seem happy to be at Brookfield. Cons: (1) Brookfield is not very strong when it comes to extracurricular activities such as Speech and Debate, Math Competition, Robotics, Spelling Bee, and the like. It is not very often that Brookfield kids placed in the top three ranks when competing against other schools, because Brookfield does not have enough student body to build strong teams to compete against other schools. (2) Brookfield definitely is not strong in any sports. If you are looking for a school which can accelerate your kid(s) academically, Brookfield does a fine job in fulfilling this role for the most part. If you are looking for a school which can help produce a well-rounded individual, Brookfield might not be your first choice. (3) Having been at Brookfield for the last five years, I feel that the principal, Dr. Jo, is not very personable and understanding when it comes to your and your child’s needs. However, she does appear very nice when you first meet her.

Grateful to:
SCHOOL LEADER
As a school administrator, I've learned from experience that "you can't please all the people all the time," but I am so grateful for the support and trust I receive from our Brookfield School parents. Brookfield parents genuinely care about their child's education and are willing to make personal sacrifices to ensure that their child will benefit from our excellent program. The focus of my job is to provide a safe, comfortable, and enriched environment for our bright students to succeed. Each child at Brookfield is my child, too! I love them, and work to help them grow into future leaders. Thank you, parents, for choosing Brookfield School! Fondly, Dr. Jo
Posted November 19, 2015

Brookfield School 3

Posted October 06, 2015
We enrolled our 3 year old daughter in the 3 year old class last year. While we have mostly praise for Ms. Christina Lopez, we take issue with the fact that the whole time we were there, we seemed to be constantly fighting with them over our daughter's placement and disagreed with what steps should be taken to further her progress. Our daughter is adopted from China and they really do not deal well with the concerns of parents of children who have recently been adopted and who are still adjusting to life in America. I understand the need for standards, but my husband and I were sorely disppointed by their unwillingness to work with adoptive families on getting their children adjusted and up to speed. I would NOT recommend Brookfield to any adoptive families or to any families with special needs children. Brookfield tends to focus on academics. It is not as nurturing as some other schools. Our daughter is now at Merryhill and is thriving.

Posted January 26, 2015
We just enrolled our 4 year old boy in Brookfield for their brand new pre-school program. We are so happy that we made the move to Brookfield. The program director Janie is always there to make sure all your questions answered. Dr. Jo did great job welcoming us to the community. Ms. Williams made their first week transition as smooth as possible. My child is learning actively everyday and Ms. Williams has a monthly teaching planner for her class. She is a very caring teacher and the kids love her. My boy tells me everyday that he loves his school and Ms. Williams. As parents, we can't say enough thank you to the school!

Brookfield School 4

Posted November 21, 2014
This is my son's first term at Brookfield. He has attended four private schools- 3 in CA and one one the East Coast. Was the transition for my son bumpy in the beginning? Yes. Have Dr. Gonsalves and her staff listened to our concerns and supported us during the transition? Absolutely. We have been here for less than a year, and my son is flourishing both academically and socially. Dr. Gonsalves has personally done everything she can to welcome us into the Brookfield fold and ensure that our son is academically on track. Her genuine dedication to the Brookfield community, and considerable educational experience has been a blessing and a source of reassurance. We looked into several schools in the area before deciding to enroll our son here, and we haven't looked back.

Brookfield School 3

Posted May 13, 2014
My child attended this school for SEVERAL years, not just one. I made sure that before I wrote a review I gave the school and my child adequite time. I mean, how can one really evaluate a school based on 1 year since all 4 years we were there have been so very different based on teachers style of teaching. Does some yell, YES wait until 3rd & Middle School. Are kids mean and bully, YES... give it time these are still kids. Did my child get a good education? Yes (not consistant), but they are getting a great one now. We left because we wanted a strong STEM foundation not just a lot of reading and h/w. My child now UNDERSTANDS what is being taught. There is a difference. If I had to do it all over again, would I choose Brookfield. I can say Yes, I would for the lower grades to get that foundation... after Mrs. B, it's worthless but we stayed for a bit more. I now realized what was lacking and that was the complete understanding of what was being taught. Imagine only being able to read about a beach, versus actually being able to experience the smell, the sound, the breeze the waves cause as it rushes in. Well, my child is now getting the latter which is beautiful.

Posted May 06, 2014
Brookfield gave my child her love for learning back. My child loved learning and now she was coming home exhausted and anxious. After constantly battling homework and forcing reading time, we started looking for a new school. We had her shadow Brookfield for 2 days and she fell in love it with. She said she was able to think and concentrate. She also said that the other kids weren't loud and the teacher did not scream if someone didn't follow directions. She asked to shadow one more day, at the end of the day she asked me not to take her back to her other school. We made the move and have not looked back. She's very happy. She now reads without being prompted, no more homework battles, her penmanship has improved dramatically but most important she wants to go to school. The teachers are caring and encouraging. Yes, expectations are high just like they are at home but she has exceeded them. I have no doubt that she is getting a very solid foundation that will be an integral part of her school life for many years.

6115 Riverside Boulevard, Sacramento, CA 95831, Sacramento, CA  95818