No rating

Courtyard School

Private | K-8 | 139 students

Living in Sacramento

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $314,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

Posted April 10, 2008

I love the fact that Courtyard is located Downtown and closed to work. Teachers and parents are focused, not only on providing a great academic experience, but also having a school that teaches independence and the love of learning. My son really enjoys his classes (science, Spanish, reading, performing arts, health, and P.E.), the clubs (cooking, martial arts, computer lab, and many more), and summer camp and all the field trips that are offered at Courtyard. It is wonderful to know that my son is getting the best education, and at the same time having fun and enjoying his day while I'm at work. We have been at Courtyard for the past three years and every year has been a great one. I truly enjoy the communication with the teachers and their willingness to help my child. I highly recommend Courtyard for all of the above reasons and more.

Posted February 29, 2008

We transferred to Courtyard from a high performing public Sacramento elementary school two years ago. At Courtyard our children have received an excellent education. At the other school, all children were tested for GATE, but once accepted into the 'GATE program' there were no special activities or differentiated education opportunities. Courtyard is small enough to provide individualized attention to each student. This, combined with a superior after-school program, which includes sports, dance and music lessons, has made us very happy we made the move to Courtyard.

Posted February 26, 2008

When searching for a school for my son I looked at almost all the private and many of the public schools in my area. I chose Courtyard for several reasons: proximity to work and home (it's the best school near the Capitol), quality of before and after school care, and size (it's small enough that you can know everyone). But the things that have made me want to stay are the quality of the teachers, the dedication of the parents, and the helpfulness of the older kids who attend the school. It is amazing to see kids of all ages play together because they like each other! I don't remember this from my childhood. Yes, the school is going through changes, but the good news is the Board's finally including ALL parents in the plan to make the school much better down the road. I'm happy with my choice!

Posted February 20, 2008

I moved my child to Courtyard School several years ago when the teacher in the former school proved inefficient. What a difference. The teachers at Courtyard are exceptional and I ve been pleased with every one. The school is going through many changes at present, but all for the better. Parent involvement is phenomenal and the other families are terrific. And there is so much more to do than fund raising! Whatever talent or skill one may have, this school provides the opportunity for parents to be creative all for the benefit of our children. The before and after school programs provided by Courtyard are wonderful for the students. These programs are such a relief for a working parent, such as myself, to know that my child is always safe, productive, and having fun from 6:30 am to 6:00 pm. Perfect for an educational environment and perfect for our family.

Posted February 19, 2008

We toured nine different elementary schools (public and private) are very glad we chose Courtyard for our daughter. She is receiving an excellent academic education in a very nurturing and safe environment. The kindergarten and first grade teachers are both excellent and we have heard many positive things about the other teachers. Our daughter loves learning and fully enjoys the after school program (by far the strongest program we saw). We fully enjoy Courtyard's strong sense of community with involved parents and teachers. Most importantly, the kids enjoy learning (rather than being stressed out by testing). My wife and I are both working parents and appreciate the strong after school program and the lunch program that are included with the tuition. We are very happy we chose Courtyard for our daughter!

Posted February 11, 2008

Our daughter has been a Courtyard student for three years. The school provides a positive atmosphere that promotes academic excellence, acceptance of others, and creativity. We greatly appreciate the extras that are so often missing in our public schools: foreign language, performing arts, music, physical education, and before and after school care. The school facilities are also a bonus. Courtyard has a library, computer lab, gym, and a gated campus. We are happy with our decision to send our daughter to Courtyard and feel we are getting a quality education at a fair price. I would highly recommend Courtyard to other families.

Posted December 18, 2007

Courtyard has been a nurturing, positive learning environment for our son. The excellent staff to student ratio allows for flexible, individualized learning and a classroom management style that emphasizes individual responsibility. As working parents, we appreciate not having excessive amounts of homework. Instead, our goal for first grade is to spend that time fostering an appreciation for reading. Tuition includes before and aftercare as well as Winter and Spring Camps, all of which offer fun, safe and enriching activities supervised by the excellent Extended Day Leaders. We are fortunate to be part of this amazing community of staff and families.

Posted December 18, 2007

Our daughter has been a courtyard student for two years begining with Kindergarten. Her kindergarten year was so filled with social and academic growth fostered by an outstanding teacher. Her kindergarten year was so good that we assumed her fisrt grade year could never be as wondeful. We were wrong. Her first grade year is even better! Strong academics, great citizenship and social skills, safe friendly learning environment, and an outstanding faculty have made Courtyard the perfect choice for our family.

Posted October 23, 2007

We are very happy with the staff, admin, and families here! Lots of neat new changes including lots of new curriculum. Middle School has cool electives now- even robotics. Caring staff. Family feel to the campus. Our daughter loves it. Great families. Priveledged does not have to mean snobby!

Posted July 25, 2007

My 2 children just finished their first year+ at Courtyard after transferring from another private school in Sac. We found Courtyard to be a breath of fresh air compared to their prior school. They were offered a well rounded education in a friendly environment. The teachers/prinicipal were open and took the time to address the few concerns that came up during the first year in an fast and professional manner. The other students and parents were fantastic and made the transition very easy. Courtyard has been a great choice for our family! I you want a top notch education and athletics, Courtyard is a good choice.

Posted June 19, 2007

Past year nightmare. Given the money, we expected/deserved much more for our children. New administration inexperienced, unprofessional. Math unacceptable, our class behind grade level. Art class disappointing. Great classes 'offered' but often taught by unqualified. Poor basic class management, especially middleschool. Bad behavior from a few students tolerated, when entire class disrupted punishment is mass, reactive, often inappropriate. Favoritism from teachers/staff hard for students. Students' privacy not respected. No support for untrained teachers. Some grading seems arbitrary. Behavior standards for students and teachers not as high as at public school. Sports focus on competition, not child-experience. Schoolboard unwilling/unable to improve school. Sad, concepts are there, as are some wonderful teachers.

Posted May 24, 2007

I have to say I am disappointed with the recent decisions the school leadership is making about the teaching staff. Additionally, they are losing some of their best teachers (the educational anchors of the school, I might add) this year and next. I hope they can find quality educators to replace them, but the history of that doesn't seem promising. I am unsure whether to send my child there next year or not. Though the after-school programs are great, and I love the homework clubs, I am not convinced the education provided is worth the expense.

Posted September 2, 2006

My son attended Courtyard from 3rd through 6th grades, and it was a wonderful experience. I highly recommend the school for K-5. Middle School at Courtyard begins in grade 6, and I can't recommend it at that point, simply because the school is too small and doesn't have the facilities or the resources that middle school kids need. The school is building up to that, but it's going to take a few years. The science curriculum is substandard. However, for grades K-5, I can't say enough good things about this school and its teachers.

Posted June 1, 2006

No better environment! Academic excellence, culture, community service = balanced approach. Dedicated and caring staff.

Posted November 28, 2005

Courtyard has a very dedicated staff and lots of perks -- before and after school care, meals and snacks, arts program, Spanish, field trips, small campus. There is a lot of opportunity for parental involvement -- actually, it's mandatory. The site itself is secured behind a gate, at 24th and B downtown, an easy location to get to but not to find parking during high congestion times. Because it's a private school there is not a tremenous amount of diversity. Also, because it's small, the children do not get exposure to a broad friendship circle. The new principal and the Board of Directors (it's a 501(c)3 non-profit organization) are in the process of assessing Courtyard's strengths and weaknesses so that the school can be improved.

Posted September 19, 2005

My daughter is in this fantastic school. The curriculum is top-notch; the before-and-after programs are superb for working parents and the kids. Parent participation is required, but that's a plus in my book as I have gotten to know the parents well. My experience is with only the K-2 grades, but those teachers are outstanding. The tuition (which covers care before and after school) is on the high side, but that's to be expected -- given the service you get. They just moved this year to a new facility, different from the address in this Yahoo page, but you can get all the updated info at http://www.courtyard.org for the new address (not far from the old). My wife and I highly recommend this school.

Posted August 16, 2005

The school has been wonderful for my daughter. She has gotten the extra attention from staff that has made the difference. Kindergarten through 3rd grade has been exceptional. I was a bit taken aback by the volume of homework at the younger ages, but my daughter and most all of her classmates have met the challenge. My mother in law and her friends are all public school teachers and they are blown away at the amount and level of the work asked of these kids. It really seems that Courtyard is teaching our children at the highest rate they can consume the subject matter. What is interesting though is the retention of the material. My kid is really the smartest kid in her neighborhood peer group and that is directly related to her attendance at Courtyard.

Posted May 23, 2005

Courtyard is a small, family oriented school with an amazing amount of attention given to each student. After school programs are included with tuition, as are breakfast and lunch. Field trips are an important part of the school. In higher grades, the class size gets very small - somtimes around 10 kids per class. Standardized test scores are very high - often over 90% average.

Arts & music

School start time
  • 8:30
School end time
  • 3:00
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Spanish

Transportation options
  • None

School culture

• Volunteerism is central to our success as a school community. at a minimum, we ask 25 hours per family of volunteer work per year. most families exceed this by far.