Courtyard School

Private | K-7 | 147 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Sacramento

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $314,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

Sweep tile

Posted March 27, 2014

Don't believe the marketing. They will tell you a lot of things that just aren't true. The admissions director's "Masters" is no longer on the website. The rumor is she never had one. They will tell you students do well at Sutter after attending Courtyard. But the parents I've talked to have had to hire tutors for math. The principal told us they were already doing something similar to Common Core, but then in a town hall he said it would take them three years to implement the math portion. The disappointment with 5th grade math has far exceeded the disappointment with 3rd grade math. I have lost confidence that I can get an honest answer. When there is no trust, it wipes out all the good things that happen there.

Posted March 25, 2014

Courtyard is a small school with a wonderful learning environment that is safe, creative, attentive and academically challenging and diverse. The single greatest attribute are the teachers all of whom are exceptional, creative, engaged and wonderfully dedicated to the students and to the learning process. Courtyard prides itself on developing scholars who can think, communicate, learn and explore. The school does not focus on test taking it focusses on learning, exploration and creativity. The parents at Courtyard are wonderful, intelligent, open minded and involved and this creates a sense of community that is truly exceptional. For example, we know and interact socially with nearly all of the parents in my daughters grade, fellow parents help each other out whenever it is needed from a late pickup to a soccer team run, to homework clubs and shared projects. Courtyard is way more than a school it is a community of learning.

Posted March 21, 2014

Courtyard continues to be a great school for my daughter. The small class sizes, academic success rates and community spirit are complimented by a well rounded curriculum (music, phy ed, drama and lots of art projects). I don't know how such a small school is able to accomplish all that....but we are happy to be a part of it.

Posted March 4, 2014

I would never refer someone to have their child attend this school. I would be embarrassed to have them treated as I've watched certian parents be treated. I would be embarrassed for them to know I send my children to a school, where I feel the administration cannot articulate a quality academic vision and deliver it. I could not with a clear conscious recommend this school knowing what I know, and feeling the math program is below that of public school standards. I don't know completely what we will do next year because we still hope things will improve, but I know right now though, I would never recommend this school to anyone.

Posted May 22, 2013

I'm a proud parent of a Cougar. I'm a bit surprised to see some of the posting by parents being critical of staff. We got off to a bit of a rocky start when we came in 3rd grade however Mr. Molnar, Ms. Kristi and Ms. Krause are HUGE advocates of ALL of our children. Communication is key and we are fully engaged in school. Mr. Molnar makes the hard decisions and does NOT allow the parents to dictate how the school is run - contrary to previous posts. In my opinion the entire team exceeds our expectations. We highly recommend Courtyard to any family that wants a holistic education for their child. We may be a private school, but we're not snooty. Our personal experience is that Mr. Molnar demonstrates fair and consistent consequences. Trust me, we've gotten called into the principal's office more than once. Mr. Molnar treats the child with respect and uses the experience as a teachable moment and does not just "brush it off". I can assure you that he takes all issues serious. He handles them in a mature, professional and nurturing manner. Regarding diversity - ridiculously diverse, people just need to open their minds. It is not just the color of your skin.Go Cougars!

Posted January 29, 2013

Courtyard has been a great place so far for our child. The teachers are very friendly as well as the edc leader and staff. We are happy with all the extra curricular actitvities that the school offers, things that our previous school did not have. The school is a little cluttered right know but that seems to be because they are building a kitchen and re-doing the gym. The principal is always available when we have questions or even just comments, And the EDC leader takes time to make sure our child is always taken care of and lets us know of any minor issue. We feel very comfortable with leaving our child there. But like any school there are a few cliques. And its not the children or the staff who have these cliques, it seems to be the same 5 or 6 parents that try to pull you into a negative conversation about this or that. But the majority of the parents are happy and friendly and support this great school. we are excited for the new changes to the campus and like i said the most important factor for us is that our child is safe and happy

Posted January 8, 2013

You will pay for it...and so will your child. Two major weaknesses of Courtyard are math and accountability. We (and many other families) have approached the administration numerous times about the problems with third grade math. We had to obtain outside tutoring, like others, just to bring our child to grade-level. When confronted, it was suggested that there was a problem with our child specifically. The administration has persisted to deny there are any problems; the teacher is still not course-corrected. All the while, we re out more money, and our child is left defeated and frustrated. But, the math just doesn t add up: the standardized test scores (across and within grades) show the disparities and illuminate the curriculum weaknesses. Also, when we taught our child what should have been taught (and that we paid for), our child now is performing at and above grade-level, despite the actions of Courtyard.

Posted January 6, 2013

Courtyard is a great community and a great school. This is a small school with an amazing community spirit. Students are treated individually and my experience with teachers (6 different teachers over 5+ years) is that they are all dedicated, competent and great educators. Kids get amazing field trip experiences and the before/after care has a wide range of good programs with great staff. We stay -- and support the school -- because of the strong programs, caring leadership, safe environment and supportive community. The campus is making some much needed investments in the physical facilities, but the physical enviornment is not why we keep our kids at Courtyard.

Posted December 19, 2012

As a parent of a former student and after reading over recent comments, I think the issue for Courtyard is that it excels in some areas--great teachers and EDC staff, small class size allowing for individual attention, superior parent involvement, etc.--but falls far short in other areas that aren't obvious to all students and their families. Unless you are a family that had experienced issues with bullying, for example, (as we did) it is easy to assume all is wonderful at this school. But one way a great school distinguishes itself from a merely good school is how it responds to issues and conflicts and the steps it takes to resolve them. If it doesn't seriously acknowledge that a problem exists, or if it only offers lip service in addressing the problem, it will never evolve to be a great school. I don't disagree with comments that tout Courtyard's excellence in some areas, but a truly fair assessment must include recognition of its shortcomings. It would serve Courtyard well to reexamine how it addresses and resolves concerns/problems so that parents and students who don't have the mainstream Courtyard experience aren't marginalized.

Posted December 17, 2012

Our children have attended Courtyard for 6 years, combined, and it has definitely been a positive experience. We love the teaching and EDC staff. The teachers are very knowledgeable and are encouraged to go above and beyond the basic standards curriculum, which they do! We cannot say enough good things about the quality of field trip choices and preparation, and the inclusion of science, history, foreign language and art and performing art as part of the school day. Our children have done very well in advanced programs in public schools, and we think Courtyard prepared them quite well to succeed. Most of their classmates are also in these programs. Our children feel safe at Courtyard, and they can talk to the principal and to the other staff without afraid. We like seeing the building improvements this year. The principal seems to do quite a lot to continue improving the school. The teachers have well equipped classrooms with new technology tools, the buildings have had lots of improvements, and we see him interacting with students, parents and staff every time we go to the school. This school has a strong sense of community and happy students. It is a great place to be!

Posted November 27, 2012

Would I do it again? Probably not. We've had two children here over multiple grades, & are looking to leave. Private, decent scores....we thought: How could we go wrong? On the up side: half the faculty are solid professionals; convenient before/after care; small classes; centrally located. On the down side: management struggles to keep the other half of the faculty well-supervised and accountable to chronic problems and poor performance; board appears more interested to maintain status quo for a select few; campus climate is less inclusive & welcoming of diversity than talked about; parental involvement is welcomed when it fits into the mainstream agenda. It is really unfortunate that this is the case, when the school could be so much more. We have had this echoed numerous times in conversation with other parents who are also in the minority. After all the advocacy, dismissed offers to volunteer, chastisement by parents of the mainstream, I have been thinking: Is it worth it? If the school produces average results & an average experience, why not attend (any) public school and hire a private tutor & nanny for the money we pay? My time, money, energy, & care could be better used.

Posted October 20, 2012

After being a Courtyard parent for 6 years, I believed that the smaller class sizes simply afforded our students more attention with regard to their questions during classroom lessons. Recently, we were delighted when our son reported that his teacher took him aside to discuss his tendency to succumb to distractions. Rather than coming down on him in a punitive way, his teacher calmly asked him to simply consider during that moment when the view outside the window seems so inviting, whether it is ultimately worth it to succumb to the distraction if one considers how much one's parents have invested in this education and whether it is worth it to him, given how hard he works at school, to allow himself to be distracted. I am amazed by the work ethic of a teacher who cares enough to have this discussion with a student who will ultimately earn mostly A's and a few B's and does not otherwise disrupt the class. Most of all we are delighted that we got this account from our son, who evidently got the message.

Posted September 28, 2012

As a parent of a former Courtyard student, I echo previous comments regarding bullying at this school. While the teachers were exceptional, the administration had a blind spot when it came to bullying. There appeared to be no specific plan for intervention and appropriate consequences and I agree with the September 15, 2012, comment that certain students were favored over others, thus making efforts to address bullying challenging. And as may be the case at many private schools, some parents felt that their students were so special that appropriate consequences should not apply to their students....and it seemed that the Principal agreed. Overall, there are many benefits and advantages to this school, but our own experiences with bullying left us so disheartened that I don't recommend this school to others when asked.

Posted September 21, 2012

All of my children have attended schools that require parent participation, which is important to me, so I'd accept nothing less. Most Courtyard parents go above and beyond the required volunteer time. Field trips are also important to me and Courtyard provides several field trips during the year with transportation (busses) provided for most. The before and after school care is exceptional, not your typical program with high school-age employees that come and go and don't know the kids. We feel safe at Courtyard; the campus is gated and locked at all times. The school is conveniently located in midtown. Most of the faculty and staff are hard-working and dedicated and many have been at Courtyard for many years. I feel my child, who like most children, excels in some areas and is more average in others, is learning at a good pace and enjoys Courtyard. I have concerns about being ready for a transition to a public or private middle/high school. Will math skills be adequate? I think the school would benefit from a math tutor/lab. Art and science could use a boost with more school wide activities in these areas. Performing arts also needs improvement; time and quality are lacking.

Posted September 15, 2012

BULLYING. Some of the teachers like the Performing Arts teacher favored some specific kids. These kids never got in trouble. When these kids were bullying others they never got in trouble because they would always go to the performing arts teacher and say it was the other kids. This was one example from last year. I hope this year it gets better.

Posted May 14, 2012

I agree with a previous poster that bullying was overlooked. The administration appeared to be more concerned with appeasing overbearing parents than advocating anti-bullying measures. I too expected more--much, much more-- from a private school that prides itself on its inclusiveness and fostering tolerance and respect within its student body.

Posted November 2, 2011

As our son is several months into his 6th year at Courtyard, we are surprised that we could be even more satisfied with this school than we were before. We have always been pleased with this environment that has fostered his love for reading, learning and concern for others, but this year we have recognized how his school life enhances our home life with its balanced, thoughtful approach to homework assignments and nurturing study hall supervision. With rare exception, he has proudly reported the completion of his homework during study hall and his work is completed with great care. As a family of working professionals, we truly appreciate being able to enjoy extracurricular activities and a relaxed family dinner without unnecessary busy work in the form of redundant homework assignments. In addition to his academic growth, we are humbled by his moral development and compassion for others as fostered by the leaders in this community. Mrs. Krause leads an excellent and nurturing Extended Day staff and Mr. Molnar is caring and responsive as the principal.

Posted May 23, 2011

My children have been attending Courtyard since Kinder and Transitional Kinder. We were thrilled to find a private school located downtown that teaches the whole student. The children interact with each other from all grades and the older children aften have a role in mentoring the younger students. When my youngest son first started in T-K, it was great to walk into the school and have older and younger kids come say hi to him. I have been very impressed with the teaching staff and there willingness to go the extra effort. My children love to go school and don't want to leave at the end of the day. The extra activities that are offered right on campus allow my children to have guitar lessons or karate or ball room dancing without having to leave school. As a family with two working parents, Courtyard is the perfect place with before and after school care and activities and teaching staff on hand to help with study time. The curriculum is challenging and the approach each teacher takes is unique and exciting for the kids. Recently my kid had a report due about the rainforest and they worked in class on it and he chose to write a song - fun and creative for him!

Posted May 23, 2011

Courtyard is a great community, a great school and a great learning and growing environment for the kids. My children started at Courtyard in 2007 and we have been fans ever since. Class sizes for my kids are 15 and 22 and they are known by name to virtually the whole community. The community is safe, supportive, and welcoming. My family is very involved in the school because there are wonderful opportunities to participate in so many activities that benefit the kids. Teachers are terrific and school leadership is supportive with a wide open door policy. Good thing are happening -- come check it out!!

Posted April 7, 2011

This is NOT a great school. Bullying is overlooked, teachers show favortism to children of board members - who run the school and determine the salaries. The principal is a poor leader, but, then he must completely cater to the board. We have seen little effort made on his part to improve the quality of the school except to add 2 more grades. The facility is in need of vast overhaul, and there are very few enrichment programs offered. We are looking for another elementary school for our child.

Arts & music

School start time
  • 8:30
School end time
  • 3:00
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Spanish

Transportation options
  • None

School culture

• Volunteerism is central to our success as a school community. at a minimum, we ask 25 hours per family of volunteer work per year. most families exceed this by far.