No rating

Shalom School

Private | K-6 | 92 students

Living in Sacramento

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $100,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

Posted March 16, 2011

Shalom School is like a family. Everyone knows my children and we all look out for each other. The academics are taught in an interesting, engaging, creative way. The homework is meaningful, not busy work. The Jewish education is shaping my children's identity, giving my children a solid sense of self and a strong moral compass. My children are leaning compassion and the importantce of mitzvot (good deeds). My children love school and feel a sense of belonging to a greater community.

Posted March 10, 2011

I am alternately amazed and impressed with the attention that my three children receive. My oldest (10) needs to feel comfortable, with a gentle hand. She receives that and thrives! My middle (8) is full of energy and doesn't do well when he is chained to a seat; so the teacher moved him to the back of the room (so he does not disturb others) and allows him to work standing. My youngest (5) is cutesie and needs to be told that she doesn't run the place; so the teachers provided firm but appropriate discipline and direction. All of my children have been at Shalom since the beginning and I am VERY happy with the eduction and community that the school provides. I would recommend this school to everyone.

Posted March 7, 2011

I started working at Shalom School as a parent of a preschooler (20 years ago). I am proud to say that most of my son's teachers are still here. Considering our staff has dedicated over 300 years collectively, an amazing amount of knowledge has passed through our doors! Compare our programming next to any "rapid learner program" or private school in Sacramento and it not only compares favorably--it exceeds other programs. 100% of our graduates entered accelerated programs.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 5, 2011

Shalom School provides a nurturing environment that gives students self confidence and provides a love of learning. The sense of community is amazing!

Posted March 5, 2011

Our children graduated at Shalom School and have gone on to great colleges and now one is in medical school. WHat I loved most about the school was their emphasis on making children feel good about themselves and in a nurturing environment. In addition it gave them a very strong foundation in which they could build upon it as they further developed.

Posted February 16, 2011

I am thrilled to have my grandchild attend this wonderful school/family. From the first day that he attended at 5 months, I felt that he was in the right place. The staff are skilled professional educators who understand how young children grow and develop. As a family we couldn't be happier with the teachers, the facility and the administrative staff.

Posted September 22, 2008

I have 1 kid in shalom and 1 graduate and they are so incredibly well educated in a wholesome and loving environment. We have been there since my older daugher was 2.5.

Posted February 16, 2008

My daughter attended this school. Shalom is a far step above being just a school, its a community where the children and the teachers share a special bond. The children carry themselves as partners in their educations not as if its someone elses job and they behave more like a big family than school mates with teasing and crudeness. I highly recommend this school for its high standards in education and for its living example of community and social action.

Posted April 23, 2006

Shalom school is truly a community school. There is an active PTF and yearly parent participation requirements. There is a music teacher who runs the band and drama programs. He is also the PE teacher. The school is involved in Math Olympiads, an international math competition. The schoolwork is challenging, however the teachers are accessible and in my experience have been willing to individualize expectations and resources to individual student's abilities. There is an hour of Hebrew language and an hour of Judaica instuction daily, Friday afternoons are devoted to minicourses and special programming. There are also special projects relating to social issues, the children work on global as well as local hunger and justice related issues. My child has grown tremendously at this school and we are very satisfied with our experience.

Posted October 9, 2005

The teachers are enthusiastic and creative. The school does a great job of providing basic academic skills. I think it does a much better job than most schools at teaching critical thinking, writing and research skils. It also provides science, art, music, dance, etc. There is a large emphasis on being a kind and responsible person. It is a very warm and nurturing environment. To be honest, the number and quality of extracurricular activities is not as great as some larger schools, but I think they are adequate and the other benefits of the school are tremendous.

Posted March 12, 2005

Excellent, safe and nurturing environment. Committed teachers and staff. Quality academics beginning in preschool. Tremendous parent involvement.

Posted January 4, 2005

The academic programs were very good, teachers were very willing to help and there was a low student to teacher ratio. Music and art were well integrated into the classes, but of course this is a small school environment and the programs are commenserate with resources. There is a great deal of parent involvement and truly a community feeling in the school. We enjoyed the commitment at the school and in affiliation with the Jewish Federation there were a range of sports and some nice team opportunities for the students.

Asian or Pacific Islander 1% 11%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Associations
  • JCDSA
Fax number
  • (916) 485-3970

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious