Lincoln Elementary School 3

Posted October 01, 2014
I currently have a second grader at this school. The teachers are great but the class sizes are WAY TO BIG! The school staff does try it's best to be inclusive with the parents. They invest a lot in technology. I'm 100% positive that if it weren't for the HUGE CLASS SIZES, it would be one of the best schools in the county. The dual immersion curriculum is outdated (compared to other districts in California), but it's "ok". The diversity in the school is good. It appears to be almost half White and half Hispanic, and some "other". One thing that I don't like either is that they have mixed grades classes. They have a 1st/2nd grade class; and a 2nd/3rd grade class. The reason is that there supposedly isn't enough students to complete a class. Most of the students there are out of district so I don't understand why they just stop excepting out of district kids. IN SUM: My recommendations for this school is 1. REDUCE THE CLASS SIZES and 2. update the dual immersion curriculum. Other than that, good school; great staff!

Posted May 09, 2014
I have only one child attending this school so far. The principal is excellent and the teachers I know care about the students and their success. I think the Dual-immersion program is great, it provides students with the opportunity to become bi-lingual and bi-literate, which will surely help them succeed later in life. I'm sure the English only program is good too, I just don't have any experience with it. The school takes bullying very seriously, and addresses behavior problems with the children. We are very happy at Lincoln, and choose to attend this school over other schools with a higher test score rating, because of the Dual-immersion program.

Lincoln Elementary School 4

Posted September 24, 2013
Sweet school with lots of charm and character. The principal is very kind and warm. The best part is the dual immersion program. There are lots of after school activities for the kids: Spanish club, NASA, boys/girls scouts, NASA, and Mandarin club. It has before and afterschool childcare and a preschool (Spanish and English).

Posted August 29, 2012
Objectively viewed, Lincoln School is a phenomenal school. Before enrolling our son In Kindergarten here, we thoroughly researched the educational options in Salinas for him. We both have graduate degrees, value education, and wanted to locate the best possible educational opportunity, private or public, available to our son. We were cautiously optomistic as the 2011-2012 school year began, as I had observed inimical views of the Dual Immersion pedagogical model from some in the school community, and because we sent our older son to private school. However, looking at all the factors, objectively, we were extremely impressed with the following at Lincoln School: the principal, teachers and staff; the innovation and commitment; the Dual Language Program; the parent involvement; the personal time, energy and financial resources that parents generously donate; the sheer number of hours the principal, teachers, and school volunteers dedicate to the school. We still cannot believe that we are not paying extra tuition for all of the educational value we are getting at Lincoln School. Lincoln School has renewed my vision of what a stellar public education can provide.

Posted August 11, 2012
My wife and I chose for our child to attend Lincoln last year so that he could learn Spanish in the Dual Immersion Program. We are one of the many English speaking families taking part in this program. It's a little unclear where other reviewers are getting their information, not to mention how they are obtaining it. Our son is thriving in his Spanish/English studies and we excited for the new year. The enrollment in Dual Immersion has actually gone up with some existing families who were in English kindergarten actually making the switch to Immersion after seeing so many families pleased with the outcomes. We had friends on a wait list trying to enroll their child in Dual Immersion and thanks to all of the interest in the program and success after its first year, the school has added two new Immersion teachers. Even with taking families off the wait list, I understand all the classes are full again with a new list forming. I invite anyone who is genuinely interested in Lincoln to come tour the school. Even if you are not interested in Immersion, Lincoln has a great diverse staff dedicated to helping our youth grow and learn. We are proud to be part of the Lincoln Family.

Posted August 09, 2012
We absolutely LOVE this school!!! We toured schools (private and public) throughout the county, but once we found Lincoln, we knew this was the place to be. It's a wonderful old building filled with dedicated teachers and an amazing principal. There are tons of enrichment opportunities...something for every child! We are extremely happy with our decision to attend Lincoln.

Posted August 07, 2012
I think it's very important that this website provide information that is accurate, so that parents can make informed decisions based on facts. Lincoln is a great school that is comprised of an English strand and dual immersion strand. Both are thriving and doing well. The administration and teaching staff are considered to be one of the best in our area. The dual immersion program is new and faced some opposition from a few parents that perhaps were not open to the concept and it's benefits. However, the current environment is very positive and cooperative. The dual immersion program is made up of a few Spanish Speaking families, bilingual families and a majority of English speaking families. Most of the English speaking families that have chosen the dual immersion program have little or NO Spanish backgrounds. I would recommend that parents visit the school to see classrooms for English only and dual immersion and make their own decisions based on their impressions and feelings. I'm confident that regardless of the program (English or Dual Immersion), parents will not be disappointed. Lincoln has an old neighborhood charm, small community feel with a welcoming spirit.

Lincoln Elementary School 1

Posted July 26, 2012
Not sure why my review was removed...but here it is again. When is first re-opened, it was a great school. Unfortunately, it has declined to the low standards of the community and the culture in Salinas. The school has made the decision to turn 1/2 of the school into a spanish only school. They used the excuse of calling it an "IMMERSION" program...but the majority of kids in the spanish only classes cannot speak English, nor can their parents...so where is the IMMERSION when you already speak the language...and ONLY that language. The parents were lied to and sold a bill of goods. This school has a 4/10 ranking for a reason. I value my kid's education above all else, and if you care at least a little bit about your children...you will send them elsewhere.

Posted June 03, 2012
I am very pleased that we discovered the Dual Immersion program at Lincoln. For parents that feel his/her child needs a challenge in school, learning a second language is definitely the way to go. I can't speak about the non-Dual Immersion side of this school as I have no experience with it except that I have seen the entire staff including the principal be very involved with school wide fundraising and events. I'm told from other parents at other schools how rare this is. I feel my child is being challenged and is being exposed to science. This year they had chicks hatch in their class and have learned about insects, taken field trips related to science and agriculture, marine biology, and so on. I'm not sure what goes on in other classrooms, but I've been overwhelmingly happy. I invited a guest to one of our parent meetings and she kept commenting on how amazing the parent involvement was and that she is considering having her youngest child attend Lincoln for the DI program even though her older children are at other schools and are too old to enter DI. If you are unclear about DI, I suggest visiting the classrooms and see for yourself.

Posted May 31, 2012
I absolutely love Lincoln! This is my daughters first year at Lincoln and it is such a wonderful caring,supportive and growing school. The teachers are the best, very creative in their teaching methods. I wouldn't want my daughter to go anywhere else. Also the extra activities the school does is so sweet and fun!

Lincoln Elementary School
705 California Street, Salinas, CA  93901
Last modified Lincoln Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lincoln Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top