Salinas, CA

Washington Elementary School 1

Posted June 18, 2015
This school has problems, many problems. Too many tenured teachers who are burnt out and should retire because they just don't seem to care about teaching anymore-it's just a paycheck. I think they are losing one of their great, new 4th grade teachers this year. If you send your child here be prepared for them not to learn much in fifth grade. Many students have tutors because the school is not doing it's job and most parents are afraid to complain. They will be babysat in a chaotic classroom which does not prepare them for middle school. The Principal and district super-intendent retired this year and I hope the new ones will be able to do something about the teachers who are no longer effective . There are some good teachers but you need to make sure your child does not end up in a bully's classroom. There are teachers at WU who have no problem yelling at your child or shaming them in front of the class. It is in one of the most expensive areas in the state, yet somehow it has no money for basics or to pay decently because they know the parents will foot the bill with donations. I won't be surprised if this school closes within the next 2 years. I hope it does because our children deserve better.

Posted October 13, 2009
The school is an extension of our family. We feel so comfortable having our son with such a wonderful group of teachers and students. The teachers care and want the very best for each and every child. When you walk through the school grounds, you feel so calm and peaceful as you stroll through the trees and a beautiful brook which you cross to get to the playground.

Posted October 06, 2009
The teaching staff is the best and parents are involved!!

Posted October 02, 2009
I attended this school 30+ years ago and loved it. I have now sent my two children there with an interdistrict transfer. I have to drive them an additional 20 miles each day just to go to this school because it is so good. Also, they have had teachers that I had that long ago. I think that really says a lot about a school that it can have teachers that stay for so long! Great job WUSD!

Posted October 01, 2009
The staff is wonderful, the campus is picturesque, the teachers inspire, the resource & inclusionary programs are top notch, and the students love being there!!

Posted September 30, 2009
It's beautiful and amazing and the teachers & staff are the best!!!

Posted September 29, 2009
The campus is amazing. Because of the setting, the science program can offer more experiences for the children. The teachers and program are top notch. I am very impressed with the inclusion program. My daughter benefits from it.

Posted September 24, 2009
It is a wonderful place for 4th and 5th graders to blossom with self confidence and grow in their maturity and love for learning.

Posted September 23, 2009
Washington Union School is a hidden jewel in the hills of the Salinas Valley. The teachers are enthusiastic, supportive, and well-loved by the children. The children are challenged. The curriculum is enhanced with art, technology, and music programs. It is an enriching and nurturing environment. My child loves school, and our family can't give enough praise to the staff and program at Washington Union!

Posted September 21, 2009
Washington Union School is a beautiful place to learn. The natural setting is so peaceful and relaxing. The teachers make learning exciting and fun.

340 Corral De Tierra Road, Salinas, CA  93908
Last modified Washington Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades 4-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Washington Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top