Posted November 12, 2013
I wonder how many parents are aware the teachers have NO California credentials. This means, they can't get a job other than teaching in private education and are not qualified to teach the new Common Core standards. Why would the 4th grade teacher be in charge of the academics for the school?? Isn't that the principals job? Parent involvement has drop for the past 2 years. The only ones who show up are the ones who are getting financial assistance. The rest of the parents show up just because is obligatory in functions so they don't get charge a fee. Bulling still going on and still nothing gets done about it. If your child is an average learner it's an ok school. But if your child excels in academics he will be better off at public education where he will be challenge to a higher level.

Posted September 23, 2013
This school has an amazing atmosphere. Kind hearted children, caring teachers, and involved parents. I am proud to say that my children attend this school. It has been a great experience for all.

Posted May 17, 2012
I wanted so much to comment on the post from Aug and Jan. I didn't believe it, but I did my homework and I hate to admit those parents were so correct. My child is in 5th this year and I have to say; I'm not impress with the academic level. Of course if you ask my child, he thinks it is the best! But it is "US" the parents, who need to look and judge if our children are learning. For sure my child won't be back next year and so as other students form that grade. The school will have big changes on staff for the next school year. They are loosing the "Excellent" 2nd grade teacher and replacing her with the one who calls herself a 'teacher' from 5th. I really don't understand what the principal is thinking. She is loosing a lot of families because of some of her unqualified staff. It would't surprise me if the next ones to go are the 8th and K teachers. Is so true how everything is about money. Pretty expensive for the quality of education your child will receive.

Posted May 02, 2012
OLA is a GREAT school. I attended it from Kindergarten through eighth grade. Not only did I get an awesome education but I looked forward to going to school everyday. They have great after school programs... I was involved in spelling bee academic decathlon track basketball and volleyball and loved every minute of it. THe teachers are amazing and I would go back if I could. I have been really well prepared for high school and am excelling.

Posted January 26, 2012
Actually this school is only good for K, 2nd, 4th and 8th grade. The old 4th grade teacher left but the new one is very good. However, the 1st grade teacher had to retired early, and she got replaced by a parent volunteer who doesn't have a teaching degree!! She has helped the school for many years but is NOT a teacher. The principal would make it sound this lady is capable of teaching. The staff speaks horrible about public schools but at least the public system has certified teachers who know what they are doing. They make it sound that the school is safe. Well? They have no volunteers for the recess time so there are 250 students running around for 1 1/2 hrs with sometimes one adult supervising. At least the public schools have paid volunteers, teachers and lower grades separated at the recess time. Favoritism to some families?? Yes is so TRUE!!!! Their kids are the bullies and because of who the parents are the principal doesn't do anything about it!! This school has changed so much from past years. Now its all about the money not the quality education!! Don" waiste your money! Is cheaper to send your child to public school because at least you have paid for it with your taxes

Posted August 30, 2011
Academically this school is great from K-2 and 8th grade, but 3-7th grades are behind the public schools. The old 4th grade teacher was excellent, but I heard now she is gone. If you live around the area and worry about the safety and academics of the surrounding public schools this is a good school. But if you are a parent who looks for high academic achievement you are better off if you can get your kid into Palm, North Verdemont, or Kimbark. The staff is nice but they show favoritism to some families. Unfortunatley, they give Catholicism a bad name by preaching Catholic values, but not living them. I heard things were different when the Sisters of Mercy ran the school. It seems like all the administration cares about is money. I expect to find kids who misbehave in public schools and not in Catholic school, but you will be suprised how many bullies are in this school and nothing is done about it. My child has been gone for a couple of years and it is sad to say how happy he is since he left OLA. I feel like I was paying for advanced babysitting instead of a challening academic environment interlaced with Catholic values.

Posted July 25, 2010
The teachers are good communicators keeping the parent "in-the-loop". The principal sees the child as an individual and will work to see each child succeed.

Posted September 16, 2008
I have 3 children who are currently attending OLA. My oldest has been going there since 2002. I have been very happy with the school. The principal and the teachers are wonderful, and they truly value catholic education.

Our Lady of the Assumption Elementary School 2

Posted January 18, 2007

Our Lady of the Assumption Elementary School 3

Posted November 16, 2006
This used to be a great school when Sister Maura was the principal. There are a lot of things that are happening there that Sr Maura would never allow. Its a shame that this school has gone down hill in the last three years.

Our Lady of the Assumption Elementary School
796 West 48th Street, San Bernardino, CA  92407
Last modified Our Lady of the Assumption Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Our Lady of the Assumption Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top