K-12|Private

Bad
Good

I am not sure what the latest review is referring to... my child has homework 4 days each week and is testing an entire grade level above average.

I am not happy about this school. My children don't do anything. Program Is made for kids with problems such as aggression and learning. I would say that I have never seen worse school than this. There are no homeworks. Teachers teach things that my kids have already studied. Students at school are said by the council that this school is great. Teachers can't expect made homework from students. Don't be fooled! Don't trust their website. Many students wear the same clothes everyday. Don't destroy your's children future.

I have a kind, friendly boy of 12 who is exceptionally gifted and has a serious medical issue. I totally gave up on the public school program here to educate him, even though he was in "seminar" for the top 1% of students. The program was little different from the regular classroom. Many teachers, administrators and medical personnel were callous, rude and unkind. I live in La Jolla, where this was the best of the SD schools. So, I enrolled Alec at Balboa after explaining both his academic and medical needs. Honestly, I was shocked at the difference. They've been AWESOME! They put Alec in classes well above his grade level to challenge him. They take his medical condition seriously and follow the procedures I've set for them. I don't mean to say that I know everything will go well, but that the difference in attitude and effort is remarkable. The teachers and counselors are kind and the curriculum demanding enough that Alec is engaged in his education for the first time since we moved here. They've combined flexibility with academic rigor, and mixed in compassion. Dr. Parker totally got it with Alec, and they designed a program that fits Alec's needs perfectly. Outstanding! Go BCS!

Balboa City School has been an excellent choice for my son. The staff and administrators are very responsive and the curriculum is challenging and broad. The teacher to student ratio is excellent and allows for a lot of individual attention. This is the first school my son has attended where he has felt safe.

We have two kids at this school, one started in 5th grade and is now a 9th grader while the other started in 4 th grade and is now a 6th grader. The class size is small so that kids get more individual attention. There is a good deal of flexibility to take the child's individual needs into account. Our sixth grader does well in math and was able to move up a grade in math. Our 9th grader is taking Japanese as a language. Our kids have done better at Balboa than they did in our school district Our older son brought home less homework his first couple of years at Balboa. I was a little concerned by the difference in the homework amount. In the public school he scored at the high end of students on the CA standards test. He took the Stanford achievement test at Balboa and scored similar. The biggest difference seems to be the public schools assign more homework, than Balboa needs to assign, to learn the same amount. There is great deal of diversity at the school also and the kids come from all around the county. Recently there have been more foreign students attending. The teachers are are caring and keep you posted as to how the kids are doing. A good school and staff.

I am a former student of Balboa City School, and It was a pretty experience. The staff did not let me take Biology and said it was "full", but it wasn't (only like 4 kids in that class) because they thought the teacher had little credentials. It was a waste of 2 months of time to catch up, and now i have to repeat several courses. The geometry class was a joke (so easy). The PE was really good. As I don't like this school that much, Its better than Winston School. I now go to CCA and am blossoming and challenged to my potential.

I have taught (substitute) all over San Diego and Riverside Counties. I have been to many public schools, charter schools and private schools, but the culture, student population, teaching approach and leadership at Balboa City School is unique and effective. The class sizes are small, giving the teachers a lot of time to learn about their students as individuals. The access to technology is top of the line. There is a sense of community that I have not seen at other schools, clearly the atmosphere is not lost on the students, because they are all highly motivated young adults. The diversity of the student population is interesting because it gives students from different types of backgrounds a chance to intermingle in an intimate setting without the judgement of peers that often comes with larger public schools. Overall, this is a great environment both academic and social.

We searched and searched for the perfect school, and we finally found it! I have one child enrolled currently. I love the small class sizes! My child is in 5thth grade, and in addition to their amazing classroom teachers they have robotics class, a rocketry club, a PE coach, and a science class that makes science so interesting. They get to go to Mad Science too! How many elementary students get to do that?

I made the mistake of sending my child to Balboa City School. Had I known what type of kids they cater to I would never have put my child there!!!!! My daughter did not receive any of the services promised to her. Once enrolled I was told she would only get the promised services if I paid hundreds of dollars per week on top of the regular tuition.

Great place to send students with violent tendencies, behavior problems, and emotional disorders. The the teachers do their best to control the students but they are overwhelmed. Focus is on behavior and not on academics.

Last modified Balboa City School is a Private school that serves grades K-12