No rating

Excelsior Academy

Private | 2-12

Living in San Diego

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $336,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,650.

Posted April 5, 2014

I am a former student of Excelsior Academy, I went to school at EA for 3 and a half years, I went from the public school system with grades such as D's and F's, but coming to Excelsior changed my life for the better. I never thought I was going to be able to graduate high school when I was in the public school system, I came to EA and my thought of that changed within the first 2 weeks of my attendance. I went on to graduate on time with the class of 2013. I couldn't be any more happier than I am today with the way I was educated by Excelsior. I learned vital social skills, I learned to not only respect the people around me but myself as well, I learned that everyone is created equal no matter how old or young, the color of your skin, and that have a disability isn't a bad thing and how to use my disability to my own advantage. I made many friends and because of the small class sizes I was able to work one on one with each and every teacher I encountered. if it weren't for this incredible school and individualized curriculum I would have either been a high school drop out or still be in high school, but excelsior academy has truly been a life saver and a life changer for me!!!

Posted July 11, 2013

My son has been a student at Excelsior for 2 years. He will start 7th grade in the fall. He loves this school and feels included in every aspect of school life, including sports. The support from teachers and his peers is impressive. We feel blessed to have found such a great for our son.

Posted January 26, 2013

Great school, teachers and staff are caring and involved with the students. My son is doingmuch better than when he was in the public schools.

Posted January 22, 2013

Public school was not able to offer what my child needed, Excelsior Academy was able to give him everything and more. The staff is incredible, understanding, flexible and able to provide the environment that he needs to succeed academically and socially. Excelsior has clubs, workshops, sports, tutoring, mentors and students that understand and support each other. It is amazing how much he has grown and I thank Excelsior for helping to make it happen.

Posted December 4, 2012

As a staff member here at Excelsior Academy I can say that I am proud to work here. I have never worked with a staff that cares so much about each of the kids not only at the school but outside of school. Our school offers counseling, occupational therapy, speech therapy, sports teams, cheerleading, a transition team, social groups and just an overall good place to meet friends.

Posted October 30, 2012

Beware of this school. Excelsior academy is full of charlatans who claim they're teachings benefit the disabled. The school is full of flaws. Additionally the high school staff, as well as many of the students are quite cruel. The current P.E. teacher for example makes fun of disabled students and berates them during classes. He is very agressive and some of the other staff are even scared of him. Some students yell and insult others and do not get in trouble for their rude behavior. Profanity is frequent and academic performance is very low. Numerous teachers make students work on coloring books and watch cartoons and television during classtime. The laziness is ever-present. This does not only apply to students, but also staff. This environment is very concerning. Excelsior should be shut down and investigated as it is a blight to the realm of education.

Posted September 11, 2011

I worked at this school as a teacher in 2001. It was awful! They barely paid me anything and I was fired for unknown reasons. I was told how to teach my class by the director who is a former bartender from NYC. I hold two M.Ed's and two CA credentials. I am now a special education program specialist. You couldn't pay me $1,000,000 to work there again. Maybe that's why the turnover there is so high.

Posted February 15, 2011

Parents should be told to beware of this school, this school puts up a front about caring for the students. The school for sure has a dark side.The staff members commonly put the blame on students and say mistreating remarks towards the students disbilities. Certain staff members are very cruel. This school really needs to be reported and carefully looked into. They can not keep getting away with what they do. It will eventually catch up to them.Liars always get caught.

Posted January 20, 2011

BEWARE. This school may seem caring, but underneath it all, this school has many secrets. My daughter attended this school for 4 years, and then a new director came onto the scene. Lots of games and parent put off. Too much happened to be able to write here, but trust me - this school has a dark side. Approximately 10 of us pulled out kids from this school, never to return. Thankfully, we found greener pastures elsewhere. Just be careful!

Posted January 11, 2011

My son graduated from Excelsior Academy in 2010. It is an amazing school with staff that really CARES for the students and all their needs. Excelsior teaches the students not only academics, but respect and values. Eventhough it is not a "Christian" school, the values this school teaches certainly goes along the lines of a Christian Education!! Our son was truly blessed to have had the opportunity to be a part of this school and he continues to be involved by not only supporting the sporting events, but also by referring many students and parents to this WONDERFUL school!!! We as the parents of a former student also continue to support Excelsior Academy and hope by our support and the support of many other former parents that this school will continue to thrive and grow amongst the community. We were truly blessed to have found this school for our son!!!

Posted August 7, 2010

My son has been here for 3 years. It's an amazing school and almost feels like you're in a bubble from the outside world of sarcasm, rude behavior, language and other teenage norms. Excelsior is a respectful and academically motivating environment, where my son has thrived. He's also become more accountable and responsible. I also love that Excelsior provides sports teams, a mascot, a yearbook, graduation and awards ceremonies, and other school events, just like a public high school offers. My son has made great friends. He loves his teachers and played on a sports team for the first time in 10 years. My other son goes to a public high school and I only wish he could experience the same encouragement and kindness on a daily basis. The only downfall is that Excelsior's electives are limited, but even with that being said - our son has been very blessed!

Posted July 12, 2010

As a teacher, I enjoy coming to work each day. For the most part, the students are respective towards their teachers and each other. Average student to educator ratio is 1:6 (1 teacher/1 instructional assistant).

Posted February 8, 2008

This School has the best education, the nicest kids, the best teachers, the best activities, and I was learning way more then my previous school Balboa City School. This is no public school, they kick you out if your been a bully and gangsure talk. This is a peaceful and drug-free school and a welcoming enviroment. You don't want to miss a day here at Excelsior Academy. Every day are alot of fun. It's also a great school and everyday is a bully-free day. If your looking for a private school for your son or daugther this is the right and excellent school.
—Submitted by a student

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Fax number
  • (619) 583-6764

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special ed