2-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Excelsior Academy most certainly lacks a high level of professionalism as well as integrity. Administrative staff have no regard for parents or students as they are treated with disrespect (Ex: parents being talked to in a rude/condescending manner, students being mocked, etc.). There is also present a high sense of disorganization and confusion among the leadership team as even they are unclear themselves about their own rules and policies since no direct answers were ever received in response to valid questions concerning the educational as well as emotional welfare of students. As a result, the students suffer greatly and families who were promised to receive appropriate services for their children were left hanging with false hope. It is highly suggested that the members who are involved in the governing process of this academic institution learn how to provide direct communication to families as well as gain effective organization skills in order to transform the comprehensive experience students truly need here into a positive one. Despite the educators being knowledgeable and empathetic, it is however, the poor management coupled with the lack of proper judgement that contributes to a reputation that can be simply characterized as deficient and inferior. Overall, this school should not be recommended to families and their students.

This school has completely lost its touch. What used to be a calm and nurturing place has became a chaotic madhouse. Excelsior Academy is corrupt. The staff mistreats the children and cannot handle the students that attend the school. The school highly underpays staff. The horrific director was removed this year, but I doubt it will do any good. All this school does it give the students an A on their report card. The staff doesn't help them. They contain them until they graduate. When the former students get out into the real world, they have no idea what to do and end up crawling back to the school. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO EXCELSIOR ACADEMY!

Caring staff here, seem to be connected with all the students. This is first year but are worried about the number of good teachers that are leaving the school. Management isn't good at communicating with parents and not open or forthcoming about how the school is run (which is concerning). The classroom teachers have helped my child read better and will see if progress with the new staff hired.

Excelsior Academy is, without question, one of the premier schools for children with learning differences in San Diego. The attention to the needs of each individual student is just one of the many things that set them apart. They offer state of the art technology in every classroom as part of a well-rounded educational program. They have a hydroponic greenhouse allowing staff to offer students unique learning experiences that go along with this technology. Excelsior Academy also offers a Pathway to Independence program to help students to assimilate into life after graduation. The staff and administration at Excelsior Academy is highly experienced and completely committed to the students that they serve. Their programs, staff and methods for teaching children with learning differences are second to none!

Are you part of the solution? Or are you part of the problem? Sadly, what keeps Excelsior Academy from being a great school is the same problem that has existed since the school was founded. The Administrative personnel (past and definitely present) are the problem. Students deserve an education, not just passing marks on their Report Cards.. Integrity is not Excelsior Academy's strength.

I am a former student of Excelsior Academy, I went to school at EA for 3 and a half years, I went from the public school system with grades such as D's and F's, but coming to Excelsior changed my life for the better. I never thought I was going to be able to graduate high school when I was in the public school system, I came to EA and my thought of that changed within the first 2 weeks of my attendance. I went on to graduate on time with the class of 2013. I couldn't be any more happier than I am today with the way I was educated by Excelsior. I learned vital social skills, I learned to not only respect the people around me but myself as well, I learned that everyone is created equal no matter how old or young, the color of your skin, and that have a disability isn't a bad thing and how to use my disability to my own advantage. I made many friends and because of the small class sizes I was able to work one on one with each and every teacher I encountered. if it weren't for this incredible school and individualized curriculum I would have either been a high school drop out or still be in high school, but excelsior academy has truly been a life saver and a life changer for me!!!

My son has been a student at Excelsior for 2 years. He will start 7th grade in the fall. He loves this school and feels included in every aspect of school life, including sports. The support from teachers and his peers is impressive. We feel blessed to have found such a great for our son.

Great school, teachers and staff are caring and involved with the students. My son is doingmuch better than when he was in the public schools.

Public school was not able to offer what my child needed, Excelsior Academy was able to give him everything and more. The staff is incredible, understanding, flexible and able to provide the environment that he needs to succeed academically and socially. Excelsior has clubs, workshops, sports, tutoring, mentors and students that understand and support each other. It is amazing how much he has grown and I thank Excelsior for helping to make it happen.

As a staff member here at Excelsior Academy I can say that I am proud to work here. I have never worked with a staff that cares so much about each of the kids not only at the school but outside of school. Our school offers counseling, occupational therapy, speech therapy, sports teams, cheerleading, a transition team, social groups and just an overall good place to meet friends.

Last modified Excelsior Academy is a Private school that serves grades 2-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.