Posted September 26, 2014
Are you part of the solution? Or are you part of the problem? Sadly, what keeps Excelsior Academy from being a great school is the same problem that has existed since the school was founded. The Administrative personnel (past and definitely present) are the problem. Students deserve an education, not just passing marks on their Report Cards.. Integrity is not Excelsior Academy's strength.

Posted April 05, 2014
I am a former student of Excelsior Academy, I went to school at EA for 3 and a half years, I went from the public school system with grades such as D's and F's, but coming to Excelsior changed my life for the better. I never thought I was going to be able to graduate high school when I was in the public school system, I came to EA and my thought of that changed within the first 2 weeks of my attendance. I went on to graduate on time with the class of 2013. I couldn't be any more happier than I am today with the way I was educated by Excelsior. I learned vital social skills, I learned to not only respect the people around me but myself as well, I learned that everyone is created equal no matter how old or young, the color of your skin, and that have a disability isn't a bad thing and how to use my disability to my own advantage. I made many friends and because of the small class sizes I was able to work one on one with each and every teacher I encountered. if it weren't for this incredible school and individualized curriculum I would have either been a high school drop out or still be in high school, but excelsior academy has truly been a life saver and a life changer for me!!!

Excelsior Academy 4

Posted July 11, 2013
My son has been a student at Excelsior for 2 years. He will start 7th grade in the fall. He loves this school and feels included in every aspect of school life, including sports. The support from teachers and his peers is impressive. We feel blessed to have found such a great for our son.

Posted January 26, 2013
Great school, teachers and staff are caring and involved with the students. My son is doingmuch better than when he was in the public schools.

Posted January 22, 2013
Public school was not able to offer what my child needed, Excelsior Academy was able to give him everything and more. The staff is incredible, understanding, flexible and able to provide the environment that he needs to succeed academically and socially. Excelsior has clubs, workshops, sports, tutoring, mentors and students that understand and support each other. It is amazing how much he has grown and I thank Excelsior for helping to make it happen.

Posted December 04, 2012
As a staff member here at Excelsior Academy I can say that I am proud to work here. I have never worked with a staff that cares so much about each of the kids not only at the school but outside of school. Our school offers counseling, occupational therapy, speech therapy, sports teams, cheerleading, a transition team, social groups and just an overall good place to meet friends.

Posted October 30, 2012
Beware of this school. Excelsior academy is full of charlatans who claim they're teachings benefit the disabled. The school is full of flaws. Additionally the high school staff, as well as many of the students are quite cruel. The current P.E. teacher for example makes fun of disabled students and berates them during classes. He is very agressive and some of the other staff are even scared of him. Some students yell and insult others and do not get in trouble for their rude behavior. Profanity is frequent and academic performance is very low. Numerous teachers make students work on coloring books and watch cartoons and television during classtime. The laziness is ever-present. This does not only apply to students, but also staff. This environment is very concerning. Excelsior should be shut down and investigated as it is a blight to the realm of education.

Posted September 11, 2011
I worked at this school as a teacher in 2001. It was awful! They barely paid me anything and I was fired for unknown reasons. I was told how to teach my class by the director who is a former bartender from NYC. I hold two M.Ed's and two CA credentials. I am now a special education program specialist. You couldn't pay me $1,000,000 to work there again. Maybe that's why the turnover there is so high.

Posted February 15, 2011
Parents should be told to beware of this school, this school puts up a front about caring for the students. The school for sure has a dark side.The staff members commonly put the blame on students and say mistreating remarks towards the students disbilities. Certain staff members are very cruel. This school really needs to be reported and carefully looked into. They can not keep getting away with what they do. It will eventually catch up to them.Liars always get caught.

Posted January 20, 2011
BEWARE. This school may seem caring, but underneath it all, this school has many secrets. My daughter attended this school for 4 years, and then a new director came onto the scene. Lots of games and parent put off. Too much happened to be able to write here, but trust me - this school has a dark side. Approximately 10 of us pulled out kids from this school, never to return. Thankfully, we found greener pastures elsewhere. Just be careful!

Excelsior Academy