No rating

The Children's School

Private | PK-8 | 245 students

We believe in educating the whole child, intellectually, emotionally & socially

Living in San Diego

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $810,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,690.

Posted January 29, 2014

My three children are students at The Children's School. My oldest child is in second grade and in her fifth year at the school. The school blends real world learning with high academic standards. Students are able to apply what they learn in the classroom into their personal lives and community which allows them to own their work and gives the material meaning. The emergent curriculum is based on the interests of the group so the children are engaged and invested in their learning. The classrooms and school-wide community are infused with joy, compassion, respect, curiosity, and excitement. My children have developed close bonds with their teachers and peers. The school has become our home away from home. I highly recommend that you take a tour - you will discover a magical place.

Posted July 23, 2013

For two summers in a row, my daughter is enjoying the summer camp at the Children's school. Christy Dunn, the Activities Director, has done a fantastic job, offering a wide range of camps, from performing arts to sports and put a lot of effort into impeccable organization. Camps start on time every single day, the drop off and pick up is smooth and fast. The staff is very professional and helpful. I want to add, that my child has special needs and finding a camp that will be a good fit is tough. But not at Children's school. My child is included 100%, her differences are embraced and the teachers always make sure that activities are modified to fit her needs. Being at this school has been a wonderful, stress free experience. My daughter is looking forward to the next year to come back and enjoy summer with her friends.

Posted July 10, 2013

Great summer camp! Every two weeks they offer different themes! Love the options to pick and choose from every other week, allowing us to take vacations, etc. The camp director, Christy, is fantastic and the staff are wonderful! Christy went way beyond my expectations. She knew every child and parent by name and made an effort to touch base with everyone every day. She has a wonderful talent for bonding with the little ones! His camp teacher and camp counselor were also fantastic and were a comfort to him when he missed mom! I was very scared and reluctant to let my 5 year old attend the half-day camp, especially since he has never been to a camp away from his school. However, he had a wonderful time! He made friends with a few of the other boys there. We will definitely be back next summer!

Posted May 1, 2013

In my sixth year at TCS and still love it. ASlthough there has been flux in the Administration, the Faculty is outstanding there. Everyone knows and cares about each child. They work as a team to find and nurture the needs of each child, even when it may not coincide with parents and monetary needs. Dollar signs do not cancel out the best needs of the children. Kids are respected and appreciated for who they are, socially, emotionally, and academically. There is also a phenomenal support and specialty class and offering. I LOVE this school and more importantly, so do my children.

Posted May 1, 2013

My daughter has been flourishing in the early childhood program for the past 2 years. Thanks to her fabulous, nurturing teachers her transition from home to school was seamless! I am thankful for the amazing social curriculum and child-centered philosophy that has definitely contributed to my daughters overall confidence and love for learning. We are fortunate to be a part of the amazing TCS community!

Posted January 30, 2013

This school has some good qualities (better for young kids), but overall it is not worth the money. Lots of time and effort spent on fundraising and not enough on teaching and academics. Major disappointment.

Posted November 14, 2012

This school is a treasure. I feel so lucky to have found it. My child loves to go to school each day and loves his teachers. I was blown away at the conference to see how well the teacher knows and understands my child. Everyone at this school is professional, warm and caring. They practice their much touted social curriculum with the parents, students and each other...these teachers and this school are amazing!

Posted November 9, 2012

We left before the end of the school year as did several other children in our class. There has been significant change in leadership and staff which reflects the significance of the issues this school has been facing. There is no clear direction and no consistancy across the classrooms. Some teachers there are really great and if you are lucky to get the good ones you may be happy. The majority of the parents in our class raised valid concerns and they remained unresolved for the school year. We came from another progressive school and are very supportive of this philosophy. We had thought we found the perfect school for our child and were very disappointed in the reality.

Posted November 2, 2012

This school has some potential, but just can't quite make it work. The leadership has changed so much in the past few years that there is no consistency. Each teacher has different ways of teaching the "social curriculum" that the school is known for and the school policies change year to year - my kids are smart enough to realize this inconsistency and are affected by it. I had high hopes for this school, but have been disappointed over and over again. There are a lot of differing reviews on here - my suggestion would be to look at other schools, however, if you are still interested in this School go and ask questions. Print these reviews out and see how they respond. Everything looks okay from the outside, but once you sign your contract there is no backing out. Also, be prepared for another change soon, the current leader has made it clear to everyone that she will only stay through the 2013-14 school year.

Posted October 24, 2012

My daughter attended The Childrens School from second grade through graduation in 8th Grade. She had previously had very bad experience with school and was performing with less than a stellar record. She did not like school and was struggling with her school work. We enrolled her at The Childrens School, mid year in second grade. She blossomed before our eyes and continued on through Middle School. The Childrens School taught her responsibility, an incredible love for learning, respect for her peers and teachers alike. She learnt to communicate with all, to become curious and adventurous and our biggest hurdle was getting through "school break" as she could'nt wait to return to her class. She is now on the deans list at The Bishops School and I cannot find enough ways to thank The Childrens' School for their constant caring, concern, and love of all our children. This is an amazing school and I highly recommend it to all. With Much Gratitude and Many Thanks,

Posted October 22, 2012

This school is really amazing. I would put my kids here in a heartbeat if I could afford to do it. It is child centered, with really small classes, and great teachers. I toured the campus twice, and was really impressed with what I saw. I have a lot of friends with kids there, and know a lot of other people who utilize the summer enrichment programs. Everyone I have ever spoken to, is in love with the place.

Posted October 18, 2012

Thinking about TCS get the facts: New this year No ERB texting (translate no teacher accountability) in elementary grades, homework reduced to appease parents/student extra curricular activities, Spanish in elementary grades is exploratory, music class has been reduced, last year went almost 2/3 a year without technology class. Social curriculum is not consistent throughout all grades so some teachers do a wonderful job while others fail miserably and the kids suffer from that. Budget cuts win over child safety - reduce school nurse to part-time. Head of school and assistant head of school left over the summer. If you are looking for lack luster and chaos this is a school for you.

Posted October 17, 2012

You couldn't find a better school. The Children's School is about the whole child and what it takes to be a life learner. My son is in the 5th grade and has been at TCS since preschool. He's truly the happiest kid alive...loves learning and most of all his teachers and peers. I highly recommend TCS.

Posted December 8, 2011

We have had a truly wonderful experience at The Children's School. I highly recommend it! Amazing teachers and awesome field, science lab, music lab, etc!

Posted December 6, 2011

My daughter is in her 4th year at this school. The teachers truly know my child. They are open, collaborative and engaging. When I see rants and lies written about the school, I must wonder about the writer. Signing "a contract not to say anything negative about the school," wow; untrue. If anything, the school is open to continued reflection, constantly re-evaluating themselves and the process of learning - from administration to teachers. I have great respect for a community striving to best itself and teaches our children to think critically, deeply and multi-dimensionally.

Posted December 1, 2011

The Children's School is something that has to be experienced to be believed. It's obvious, from the moment you step onto the campus, that this is a very place. My child wakes me up at 6:30 am wanting to go to school, and he never wants to leave! My only regret is not finding it sooner!

Posted November 17, 2011

This school has SERIOUS PROBLEMS!! It claims to be a progressive, hands-on education in a nurturing environment. This was definitely NOT our experience. Our child spent time doing repetitive worksheets followed by unguided hours upon hours of free time daily which became a problem. This lack of challenge left my child bored and miserable. We were threatened by our child's teacher when we expressed our child's unhappiness. You have to wonder about a school that has parents sign a contract stating you will not say anything negative about the school. We were then dismissed by the administration when we approached them with our concerns. The school claims to be very progressive on education yet they do not train new teachers nor do they communicate or follow through on the school's philosophy. Teachers are not monitored. My child often told me stories of teachers providing coloring sheets and then going off to "Facebook" on the computer. The school needs a major overhaul. I find it appalling that the need for the school to appear perfect is more important than the child!!!! Our child begged to leave the school. The Children's School is NOT what it claims to be!! Run away fast!!!

Posted July 2, 2011

We now have 3 kids at TCS and can definitively say it is the best experience academically and socially we could have hoped for. Our children love going to school, have done excellent on standardized tests, benefit from the great facilities and extracurricular programs (sports, music/dance, arts), and most importantly, are becoming good kids.

Posted June 21, 2011

The principal commutes from Newport Beach, and the head of the middle school home schools his own kids. In addition, the vast majority of the students in the 5th and 6th grade left the school. What more do you need to know?

Posted May 4, 2011

Great facilities and they are trying to improve many of their academic programs. They have many wonderful teachers especially in early years and elementary programs and the parents are very committed to the school.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
French
German
Italian
Spanish
Tagalog
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Best Summer Day Camp in San Diego (2008)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Music
  • Visual arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

School start time
  • 8:30am
School end time
  • 3:00pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mrs. Evelyn Terry
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Service learning
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Girl scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom