No rating

The Children's School

Private | PK-8 | 245 students

We believe in educating the whole child, intellectually, emotionally & socially

Living in San Diego

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $810,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,690.

Posted April 27, 2011

I have been involved with The Children's School for many years and have seen my kids progress dramatically with the school's academic and social programs. While all of my children are different and excel in different areas and learn at different speeds, the individual focus on student's needs have been remarkable. That being said, the school is a progressive school - not a traditional school where students are lectures to and learn how to test well without learning how to apply their knowledge. The Children's School focus on critical thinking skills, creative problem solving and small group learning. Certainly different from what I grew up with, and also the kind of school I wish I had gone to. My children are learning something I had to figure out on my own later in life - how to think for myself, solve problems (and personal conflicts) and communicate effectively. The school may not be the right fit for every child or family (no school is). For my kids and my family - it has been the perfect fit.

Posted April 27, 2011

TCS Rocks!! I can't say enough about this wonderful school. I have 2 boys at TCS and in 4 years of attendance, my children have literally been transformed into excellent students with exceptional social skills. Teachers at TCS are paid well and therefore the best nationwide are recruited. Our fabulous new Head of School has jumped right in and is continuing the long tradition at TCS of academic excellence in a nurturing, student-centered atmosphere. I thank you and my children thank you!!

Posted April 27, 2011

This school breaks the mold in San Diego. It teaches kids beyond rote memorization, passive conveyance of rules, facts and formulas and merely teaching students just to test. The teachers and curriculum inspire kids to ask their own questions, help guide their own learning and, frankly, have excitement and joy about learning. State standards are merely a baseline - kids are motivated to go far beyond them. My son is 9, the age when many boys become blas about school and learning. He and his friends, on the other hand, still find school extremely cool!!

Posted February 24, 2011

TCS is our family's second home. Our kids are growing into confident, creative critical-thinkers, and are able to collaborate with others and resolve conflict in a mature way. They are also ahead of their peers at other schools academically plus they love going to school. It is an amazing place and we love the nurturing & dedicated teachers and feeling like we are welcomed as partners with the school in our children's education. The new campus is a wonderful addition.

Posted February 9, 2011

A school that understands what it really means to educate children. The academic curriculum teaches my kids how to think for themselves, develop their own problem solving skills and explore their world with curiosity and wonder (not just how to take a test). The social curriculum teaches them all of the communication and conflict resolution skills necessary to thrive in a world where successfully dealing with a wide range of personalities on a daily basis is a requirement. Every morning I see my kids run into school with smiles on their faces and at the end of the day they are in no hurry to leave (exactly the opposite of how I felt when I went to school). Waiting for Superman? Not my kids.

Posted October 17, 2010

The school cares for the individual child, the whole child. Strong curriculum that doesn't teach what to think, but how to think.

Posted June 25, 2010

Sadly, we found the administration full of drama and not focused enough on education or willing to listen to parents' concerns. We decided to transfer to a school where the focus is on learning and families are valued by the school's leader. Below average overall, average academics, but most of the teachers are good and a couple are really good.

Posted May 15, 2010

TCS is an amazing place! TCS fosters an environment that instills the love of learning in its students. The teachers are very inspired and are able to draw the best out of the students. One of the core philosophies of the school is "just right" for the student. It is simply amazing what the students can do without ever sitting in a traditional class room. The parent community is equally inspired and impassioned about the education that the children are receiving. The school has hired an awesome new Head of School that I believe will take the schools to all new heights!

Posted March 3, 2010

My wife and I feel lucky that there is a school like TCS. It is a small school with a very close-knit feel. Parents are involved and care. The teachers really know their students. They just hired a new awesome Head of School to start 2010-2011 academic year- his energy is pretty infectious.

Posted February 28, 2010

We have been at TCS for six years. We came to TCS for their one of a kind Toddler program. Now, five years later we are still impressed with their social curriculum, academics, hands on learning, Spanish, music, science and computer programs. This has shown to be a wonderful school where our child has the freedom to grow and learn. I am thankful for the dedicated teachers and staff.

Posted February 7, 2010

We have 3 children at TCS in 5th, 3rd and 2d grade. We have been at the school for 3 years. So we are currently immersed in the elementary program and preparing for our oldest son to enter middle school. We feel so fortunate that our son will attend middle school in a school that fosters intellectual inquiry, teaches personal accountability and respect for all individuals. Our children love the active learning environment, particularly the focus on arts and science. We are often awed by the level of knowledge and insight that they exhibit in discussions with family and friends. TCS is an exceptional school.

Posted February 6, 2010

We could not be happier with our experience at The Children's School. We were drawn to TCS for its progressive philosophy, attention to social/emotional curriculum, and magical environment. But, we were unexpectedly surprised by how rigorous the academics are. The child-centered, hands-on approach to teaching is hardly fluff, but instead very advanced. As we hear about what the children are currently learning, we can't help but say again and again, 'If only I had been taught that way!' While our family makes sacrifices to send our child to a private school, we believe with conviction that it is absolutely worth it and that TCS sets the bar.

Posted January 25, 2010

We now have 3 kids at the school, and while each is very different, they all love the school and are progressing both academically and socially. The best part about the school is the teachers. They have great educational backgrounds and love to teach and be with the kids. From toddlers on up, we couldn't be happier with how our children are being prepared for high school, college, and most importantly, life. If only they could build more parking spaces, it'd be perfect!

Posted November 1, 2009

For us, the academics were so-so and we had to get tutoring to catch up. Maybe since they're hiring a new principal it will help? I hope things start turning around for them and they get some kids into the empty desks in the elementary part.

Posted October 22, 2009

My daughter has attended TCS for 6 years and is in the Nelson Middle Years program this year. She has thrived here and it is evident in her acadmic grades and self-confidence. The teachers have always been amazing, nurturing and positive mentors. I feel that TCS has prepared her and she can go on to a public high school with ease. I highly recommend TCS for parents that are looking for a school not only where they're child will succeed but will enjoy a love for learning, be respectful and a critical thinker.

Posted August 17, 2009

I was very disappointed in our experience at the Children's School. The art and dance programs are excellent, some of the teachers are very committed and the school is lively, but there are significant problems. I found the school academically lacking with math and science taking a back seat to art and children who are in any way outside the average seem to be lacking in support. Discipline feels chaotic. I also found the parents association terrifyingly overbearing with constant demands for donations and fundraising. Families seem ostracized if their parents don't contribute enough. I rarely saw the headteacher. The fees and donations seem exorbitant to me. While I love the concept of the progressive school, the implementation seems too vague and too based around the arts - and there are much cheaper, high quality alternative options out there.

Posted March 12, 2009

My two daughters are very different from each other, but each is thriving in this special place. TCS teachers are the best and brightest applying the cutting edge in educational approaches, rather than simply teaching to standardized tests. In the four years we've been at this school, we're always amazed by the students - they all seem more confident, tolerant, intellectually curious, and socially conscious than the typical kids at other schools. i don't think that's the result of self-selection. I think it's the result of the TCS environment and curriculum. And we can't imagine any other place for our kids during the crazy middle school years!

Posted November 30, 2008

What sets TCS apart is it's approach to teaching. The school recognizes that a 21st century graduate will be entering a world that values a different set of skills than were emphasized during their parents school years. The teachers are excellent and are regularly introducing new teaching methods into the classroom to keep our kids challenged and engaged. Class sizes are small so students get lots of one-on-one attention. The curriculum is integrated so students might be learning geography through art or history during reading time. Each 6th grader gets their own laptop to use in class and for homework. My son has been at the school for over 6 years and has thrived in this close-knit school community.

Posted October 2, 2008

My children are in their fourth year at TCS and the whole family loves it. We came for preschool and frankly did not intend to stay for the elementary program b/c of the cost but it's hard to leave a place where your children know everyone, skip into school and learning in exciting, interesting ways. Faculty and staff are top-notch and the parent atmosphere is collegial, warm and supportive. TCS s approach to learning differs from traditional schools by giving kids plenty of opportunities to dig into work through hands-on projects and experiments. My children love it. The recent test scores show it s a method that not only keeps kids from getting bored or burned out in school, it s incredibly academically successful, too.

Posted September 13, 2008

Confident kids and Challenging Academics. From studying science to conversations about social justice, this school has it all. Their annual Great Artists is amazing.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 11%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
French
German
Italian
Spanish
Tagalog
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Best Summer Day Camp in San Diego (2008)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Music
  • Visual arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

School start time
  • 8:30am
School end time
  • 3:00pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mrs. Evelyn Terry
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Service learning
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Girl scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom