The Children's School 1

Posted June 22, 2015
First, the teachers are incredible and my children love being in their classrooms. The big problem is the leadership. We are on our 4th head of school in five years and this one is not collaborative and he is driving great faculty, staff and families away. Anyone with an opinion different from his has been forced to leave or has been quieted in fear of losing their jobs. The teachers are very unhappy with the leadership. A friend is on the board and they have been asked to post positive reviews on this site as part of their board service and we think that is misleading. When we started here at the school, there were more than 250 students and we are down to less than 200. More and more families are leaving. The school board is too weak to discipline the head. This could be a really great school.

The Children's School 3

Posted June 19, 2015
TCS has been through a lot of changes in terms of their administration. There is yet a head of school that has been fully invested in this school. The new head along with the past two have had no headship experience. TCS needs a head of school who is invested in the school, the culture and the educational philosophy. Not heads who are here to gain experience and move on. Like someone else posted, the new head didn't move his family down as per his contract. What does this say about his connection with the community. The reason why TCS is so special and students love going and learning is because of the wonderful teachers they hire. Students aren't connected to the head of school, but rather the amazing teachers. It was sad to hear at the end of the year that some beloved and integral teachers left or were asked to leave due to the lack of communication, decision making and professionalism of the new head of school. TCS is a great school but if the headship continues like this, I fear what will become of this wonderful school.

Posted June 18, 2015
The Children's School is a special place. We have attended the school for five years now and I attribute the intellectual and emotional growth I have seen in both of my children to TCS. This year has been our best year yet. The new Head of School has improved teacher communication and strengthened the academic curriculum. There are wait lists for several grades and all the families I know are thrilled with the direction the school is taking The Head of School knows every student by name, greets them at the gate each morning and they all love him. While change is sometimes hard, the changes that have taken place under the new leadership were all necessary and seem to be strengthening every aspect of the school.

Posted June 18, 2015
The children's school is an outstanding school. I will have three children enrolled this Fall at the school. Thus far, my kids love going to school. They are excelling with their reading, writing and critical thinking skills. My kids are patient and kind and I feel that the boundaries between home and school are very gray. My kids teachers truly nuture my kids. They hug them. They comfort them and they push them when they need it with learning. The larger family community of The Children's School is also one of its greatest assets. Parents are reading about parenting. Parents are hands-on with their children. Parents also support the school. I have really been happy with The Children's School and the new head of school is another great addition to the community.

Posted June 18, 2015
The Children's School has a really strong, broad based and varied curriculum with an excellent focus on social and emotional development where children practice tolerance, kindness, assertiveness and negotiation as part of daily school life. We've very happy with the headmaster and his approach to both learning and the children's social / emotional development. He is a quiet and unassuming person but commands great respect from the children and seems to run a well organized campus.

Posted June 18, 2015
We are extremely happy that we moved our children to this school last year, out of the public school system. They absolutely love going to school each morning and are vibrant and full of life when describing their day, each evening. They have more passion and enthusiasm for what they're learning and can go into immense detail to describe what they've been working on.

The Children's School 1

Posted June 14, 2015
The Children’s School has great teachers and a beautiful campus, but the new head is making things worse, not better. Parents who have been very involved in the past have pulled financial support and are leaving in droves. He did not enroll his children or move into the community as he promised during the interview process. Enrollment continues to decline for the fifth straight year. The new head is cutting programs and teacher jobs, and is promoting unqualified people into key positions to save money. This school has a lot of potential, but bad leadership is continuing to keep TCS from being great. We hope that the new head has enough integrity to admit that he is a bad fit and moves on so the school can change course.

Posted June 11, 2015
Our children have been attending this school for several years. We are continually impressed by both how much they are learning, and how much they love school. Our oldest, in 6th grade, is reading books I read in high school, and doing math I did in 8th grade. Our younger kids are reading well above grade level, and are able to understand math concepts, not just recite facts. We weren't sure about the new school head at the beginning of the year, but he has completely won us over. If I were a student, I would want to attend this school; if I were a teacher, I would want to teach here.

Posted May 31, 2015
Wonderful teachers and parents, and the new headmaster has settled in well and gained confidence over the course of the year. Our kids love going to school each day and the oldest is now excelling at Bishops thanks in part to TCS.

The Children's School 4

Posted November 13, 2014
If seeing your child grow up to be emotionally well-adjusted is as important to you as his or her academic achievement, you will find both goals are met with a TCS education. In our family, we have two older TCS alums who chose Duke University and the University of Chicago for their college years. We are fully confident that our current TCS student will have the same opportunities for higher education available to her. With experience at 3 different private schools over the years, we have seen disgruntled parents at all of them. Some with obvious good reason, others who may simply be gauging their child's progress against a set of priorities that differs from the school's. In today's world, people who have learned how to work collaboratively, who exhibit respect for themselves and others, and who find a real joy in learning will be the ones who are sought by higher education, and who will find the greatest success both professionally and in their personal life. For us, a TCS education through 8th grade is the surest way for our kids to get there.
7 people found this helpful