The Children's School 4

Posted November 13, 2014
If seeing your child grow up to be emotionally well-adjusted is as important to you as his or her academic achievement, you will find both goals are met with a TCS education. In our family, we have two older TCS alums who chose Duke University and the University of Chicago for their college years. We are fully confident that our current TCS student will have the same opportunities for higher education available to her. With experience at 3 different private schools over the years, we have seen disgruntled parents at all of them. Some with obvious good reason, others who may simply be gauging their child's progress against a set of priorities that differs from the school's. In today's world, people who have learned how to work collaboratively, who exhibit respect for themselves and others, and who find a real joy in learning will be the ones who are sought by higher education, and who will find the greatest success both professionally and in their personal life. For us, a TCS education through 8th grade is the surest way for our kids to get there.

The Children's School 3

Posted October 20, 2014
The teachers are great, the campus is beautiful, the class sizes are small, the kids are phenomenal. The big problem is here is a total lack of trust in the leadership. The Board doesn't hold the Head accountable, and the new Head is quickly making enemies of the parents. Such potential here. Sad to not see it realized because of a lack of real leadership.
5 people found this helpful

The Children's School 1

Posted October 19, 2014
TCS is a poor excuse for a school. The "progressive" approach really only works through second grade, and even then it depends on whether you get the "good" teacher or not. The upper elementary and middle school are a hot mess and it is around this time that panic among parents sets in. There is so much uncertainty about what is happening and what is going to happen next (is my child receiving a solid education? why are the children losing confidence in themselves? why are there so many behavior problems at this school? why is there so much turnover in admin? why are board members pulling their kids out? are we really going to do this through 8th grade? what's wrong with this picture?). Parents are nervous and they should be. Listen to that voice inside - the one that keeps you up at night worrying, the one that makes you question everything. There are far better schools in the area and many of them don't cost tens of thousands of dollars. This is an overall poor choice because even if you have a few good years in the early years, you will have to uproot your kids and make a change in the middle of elementary school. The only thing certain about TCS is uncertainty.
6 people found this helpful

Posted September 25, 2014
This is a school that most people dream of - a 6 acre campus with ocean breezes, a dedicated, highly intelligent and caring faculty, small class sizes, project-based learning and happy, confident and smart students. My husband and I looked at many schools before I toured The Children's School and fell in love with it. Our family has been at the school for 5 years and the growth I have seen in my children is incredible. The school's Toddler program is unmatched and I have been wowed by every year since. While the children in the early years think they are playing and doing projects, every piece of the curriculum is there for a very precise reason. That reason is clear now that our daughter is in Elementary school and is out-performing her peers at other schools (while still enjoying and loving school). The students in Elementary school have amazing teachers (with masters degrees in education), access to a state of the art music lab, a speciality science teacher, technology, art, PE three times a week, library, the list goes on and on. I cannot say enough good things about this school. We love it!

Posted September 24, 2014
The Children's School does an excellent job of living up to it's mission which is " to INSPIRE each child's unique potential and desire for life-long learning through a strong Academic, Social and Environmental curriculum. The Faculty thoughtfully and creatively teach material and skills relevant to the 21st century. The children approach learning with joyful anticipation.Children learn for the material, not the grade. Performance milestones are described , giving a more thorough and precise assessment. Given this, cheating is not learned and therefore non-existent. This was a big draw for me as it appears a huge problem elsewhere. Mutual respect is a value that resonates throughout the community. Children from the start learn how to get along with others. This is the foundation of future success in high school, college and career. As a parent of an Alumni I can attest to how my child's education at The Children's school has impacted our lives. My child is a happy, confident life-long learner who is ready for the next educational hurdle . It doesn't get better than this. But for those who can't think past the grade, yes, there are plenty of A's :)

Posted September 24, 2014
An absolute gem. My children have attended "TCS" for 4 years. I have two daughters, one in prekindergarten and the other in first grade. The innovative, hands-on, child-led curriculum is unparalleled. My daughters LOVE going to school each and every day. They are safe, seen, and nourished all while academically thriving. The gap between home and school is seamless as the teachers are constantly communicating about what learning is happening in the classroom. My two daughters learn very differently and both have flourished in at this school. I highly recommend this school. Additionally, the new head, John Fowler, will sell you on the absolute importance of a project-based learning environment for children and how it is essential towards creating tomorrow's critical thinkers. Our family couldn't be happier with our decision to enroll our children here.
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 24, 2014
"Mommy, I love school." Such beautiful words to hear from a 2nd grader. All three of our kids started in the toddler program and have been part of the TCS family for the past 6 years. The campus of TCS is warm and inviting. TCS provides a place where each child is respected as a person and as a learner, and a place where parents can be involved with their children's learning. Teachers Teachers at TCS offer an environment that is caring, nurturing, and engaging. Through project based learning children are empowered to not only learn, but to be excited about learning. TCS also teaches each and every child to be a great citizen through respect for others, communication and problem solving. New Head of School Mr. Fowler is engaging with both parents and students. Mr. Fowler has taken the time, out of his busy day, to call me and let me know about a conversation he had with our first grader. What a great addition to TCS. 1 Star Review? Be real! You didn't get your personal agenda listened to, so that deserves one star? If TCS is such a horrible place why come back each and every year for ten years? Fundraising - TCS is a non-profit that survives on fundraising.

Posted August 31, 2014
I'm exhausted to read the reviews by the one parent with an ax to grind. This is a fantastic school that has gone through growing pains and is on a solid path. The teachers are loving and caring and extremely gifted. We have been at this school 9 years now and it pains me to read these lop-sided reviews that are vindictive and mean-spirited. And I'm offended the reviewer takes issue with current parents saying we don't face the facts. If that isn't a personal attack, I don't know what is.

Posted August 30, 2014
Our children have attended TCS since 2005 and have never regretted it for a day. The teachers are enthusiastic and talented, and they make sure every student is comfortable and happy, while making progress both socially and academically. Our younger kids love going to school there and our oldest is now attending Bishops which has been an easy transition in every way. We are excited to see what the new head of school birings and are confident that the essence of what makes TCS great will continue for a long time to come.

The Children's School 1

Posted August 23, 2014
It is shocking that parents are still sending their children here. Most of the families still attending, are just comfortable, and not wanting to face the facts. Teachers are young and inexperienced, administration is a joke, overall the place is a mess! Good Riddance!!!
5 people found this helpful