PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)

TCS has been an amazing experience for both my Sons; Pre-K & 1st Grade. We are wrapping up our second year here and very sad to leave (moving to closer school). Head of School, John Fowler, has been personally supportive with our family and an amazing advocate for my children. The teachers are incredible and the campus just takes my breath away everyday. We will sincerely miss TCS

"Mommy, I love school." Such beautiful words to hear from a 2nd grader. All three of our kids started in the toddler program and have been part of the TCS family for the past 6 years. The campus of TCS is warm and inviting. TCS provides a place where each child is respected as a person and as a learner, and a place where parents can be involved with their children's learning. Teachers Teachers at TCS offer an environment that is caring, nurturing, and engaging. Through project based learning children are empowered to not only learn, but to be excited about learning. TCS also teaches each and every child to be a great citizen through respect for others, communication and problem solving. New Head of School Mr. Fowler is engaging with both parents and students. Mr. Fowler has taken the time, out of his busy day, to call me and let me know about a conversation he had with our first grader. What a great addition to TCS. 1 Star Review? Be real! You didn't get your personal agenda listened to, so that deserves one star? If TCS is such a horrible place why come back each and every year for ten years? Fundraising - TCS is a non-profit that survives on fundraising.

I have been involved with The Children's School for almost 20 years and have seen first-hand the high-caliber of students who have graduated and gone on to become respected and contributing members of the community. The faculty and administrative staff work as a team to nurture each student's personal development in becoming not only life-long learners, but also confident and self-respecting individuals who see their community and world as a whole. As independent thinkers, Children's School students and graduates discover how their roles in these 'bigger pictures' can be positive and effective. Like all schools, The Children's School has gone through many changes over the years. Whether it be the addition of the middle school, staffing increases and changes, or the myriad of incredible outdoor environments, the one thing that has always stayed constant is the school's devotion to making sure the students always come first. No one can contest that the students' education, development, and success have always been and continue to remain at the top of the school's priority list. Many members of the faculty and administration have been at the school for over a decade, if not two. It's a testament to the school that so many employees have found a second home at their chosen workplace. And every year the class and school projects get even more amazing. Currently, I have 2 kids at the Children's School who are happy and thriving. My husband and I look forward to having them as involved as possible in all the The Children's School has to offer through their elementary and middle school journeys.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Change is hard. The poor Children’s School has had three inexperienced, short-term heads of school in a row and my family is not impressed with the newest one. His staffing decisions are questionable. Some incredible teachers and staff people left this last year because of budget cuts or disagreements with him (a couple of terrific people left in the middle of the year). We have a head who has made it clear he does not want anyone’s input, a rude and unhelpful business office, a communications manager who can never get us publicity even though we have great stuff going on in the classrooms (we just found out he promoted her to development director even though she has no experience), an admissions director who can’t fill all the open spots of our declining enrollment, and a middle school director who is a tech guy. This school would be so awesome if we could just get the right head. Our kids love their teachers and coming to school, but it gets harder each year to justify $20,000 per kid when we are dealing with such an inexperienced administration. We will be moving our kids next year if things don’t get better.

First, the teachers are incredible and my children love being in their classrooms. The big problem is the leadership. We are on our 4th head of school in five years and this one is not collaborative and he is driving great faculty, staff and families away. Anyone with an opinion different from his has been forced to leave or has been quieted in fear of losing their jobs. The teachers are very unhappy with the leadership. A friend is on the board and they have been asked to post positive reviews on this site as part of their board service and we think that is misleading. When we started here at the school, there were more than 250 students and we are down to less than 200. More and more families are leaving. The school board is too weak to discipline the head. This could be a really great school.

TCS has been through a lot of changes in terms of their administration. There is yet a head of school that has been fully invested in this school. The new head along with the past two have had no headship experience. TCS needs a head of school who is invested in the school, the culture and the educational philosophy. Not heads who are here to gain experience and move on. Like someone else posted, the new head didn't move his family down as per his contract. What does this say about his connection with the community. The reason why TCS is so special and students love going and learning is because of the wonderful teachers they hire. Students aren't connected to the head of school, but rather the amazing teachers. It was sad to hear at the end of the year that some beloved and integral teachers left or were asked to leave due to the lack of communication, decision making and professionalism of the new head of school. TCS is a great school but if the headship continues like this, I fear what will become of this wonderful school.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The Children's School is a special place. We have attended the school for five years now and I attribute the intellectual and emotional growth I have seen in both of my children to TCS. This year has been our best year yet. The new Head of School has improved teacher communication and strengthened the academic curriculum. There are wait lists for several grades and all the families I know are thrilled with the direction the school is taking The Head of School knows every student by name, greets them at the gate each morning and they all love him. While change is sometimes hard, the changes that have taken place under the new leadership were all necessary and seem to be strengthening every aspect of the school.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The children's school is an outstanding school. I will have three children enrolled this Fall at the school. Thus far, my kids love going to school. They are excelling with their reading, writing and critical thinking skills. My kids are patient and kind and I feel that the boundaries between home and school are very gray. My kids teachers truly nuture my kids. They hug them. They comfort them and they push them when they need it with learning. The larger family community of The Children's School is also one of its greatest assets. Parents are reading about parenting. Parents are hands-on with their children. Parents also support the school. I have really been happy with The Children's School and the new head of school is another great addition to the community.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The Children's School has a really strong, broad based and varied curriculum with an excellent focus on social and emotional development where children practice tolerance, kindness, assertiveness and negotiation as part of daily school life. We've very happy with the headmaster and his approach to both learning and the children's social / emotional development. He is a quiet and unassuming person but commands great respect from the children and seems to run a well organized campus.

Last modified The Children's School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8