San Diego, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted August 17, 2014
John Muir is a small school, we have one class per grade. Our students come from a diverse background with parents that have a wide variety of interests, talents, and origins. Because our magnet focus is on global citizenship, the school centers it's Paidea seminars on topics that will enrich our students cultural awareness. Parent involvement at Muir is at the heart of our school. We pride ourselves in being welcoming, active, and fostering a sense of community.

Posted April 17, 2014
There are definitely advantages and disadvantages to a small school with 1 to 1 1/2 classes at each grade level. Yes, the teachers and parents will all know and support your children. But on the flip side, if there is a teacher whose style doesn't sit well with your child, there is no other option to move to. I love that my kids get Mad Science, dance, language, music at 4th, 5th, and 6th grades, Robotics, Peace Patrol, Paideia Seminars, and gardening. Even better, I love that our school has a top ranked archery team at Middle and High school levels. I love that new principal, Laura Bellofatto is an energizer bunny of positive momentum. I love that teachers and staff are approachable and that the principal has an Open Door policy. I love that parents are encouraged to bring ideas and activities in. Areas that we could improve: challenging top performing students to continue to excel, getting more parent involvement, and getting special services for children who need them.

John Muir School 2

Posted February 05, 2014
Love the family feel at the school. However if your child has an IEP do not go here. Some teachers are better than others but many seem unorganized and just plain tried; especially the fourth grade teacher.

Posted August 27, 2013
What drew me to John Muir was the Paideia philosophy which aims to build global citizens who love learning and enjoy a good life. My son often does projects with other grades and is learning to speak and socialize with a wide variety of people. The parents are friendly and there is a real sense of community on campus. It has been a great experience for our entire household.

Posted August 25, 2013
My school is...a continuation of my family. John Muir School has been a part of my life since 1995 when I enrolled my oldest child there. Since then I have had two other children and several nieces, nephews and neighbors find their places at John Muir. The cohesiveness of the Teachers and Administrative Staff, many of whom have been at John Muir since it's beginnings, make this schools focus the children. This attribute paired with the formation of the John Muir Association of Parents (JMAP) in 2009 has enabled our school to bring in fun and educational programs for the students. It's family atmosphere, "Global Citizenship" theme and Paideia trained teachers make this school is one of the hidden gems of our district.

Posted August 24, 2013
Muir is a small community based k-12 school. Many of the students started out in K , and plan to graduate. Wile it is a community, there is plenty of room to add more students. When my daughter and I came to the school 2 yrs ago as 2nd graders. We were welcomed by both the facility and parents with open arms. Everything in the school has a family feel. Parents help out on the campus.

John Muir School 5

Posted August 24, 2013
We love John Muir!!! Our oldest son has been attending Muir since he was in Kindergarten. He is now going into the 5th grade. We have loved all the teachers, small class sizes and the family atmosphere that the school has to offer. Our second child will be starting school there this year and then our youngest will follow suit. I love that we have the option of all our kids attending the same school!! The programs are wonderful and they are only getting better!!! The school has been nothing but amazing for us.

Posted August 24, 2013
I love the diversityat the school. Kids learn about being a citizen of the world not just our city. Teachers are phenomenal!!

John Muir School 5

Posted August 22, 2013
The small intimate feel of this school is wonderful. The small class size and interaction between upper grades and lower grades is much better organized and monitored than in traditional schools. I love that my kindergarten kid knows the Senior class president, has done crafts with his 7th grade friends, reads with his 5th grade friends, and sings songs with 2nd grade friends all with supervision by teachers! And when my child is older, they'll appreciate the influence they'll have on the younger kids!

John Muir School 3

Posted August 22, 2013
This school should be K-8, it simply does not have the resources to provide high schoolers with the opportunities that they can get elsewhere. Most of the reviews here gush about the elementary grades K-6, but starting in 7th grade there is an exodus of the best students to other schools with better facilities, leaving behind some very un-motivated kids in the upper grades. This is a real shame given the dedication of the teachers, the "small school" community atmosphere, and the 8:50am start which is better suited to adolescents' body clocks than the "farmers' hours" kept by most urban high schools. Parent involvement in the lower grades is great, but since most of the upper grade kids are bussed in, it is very rare to see their parents at all. Finally, much is made of the Paedia (?) philosophy of the school and the seminars conducted, but from what I saw this method of peer discussion was wasted on students who could barely comprehend the assigned readings, leaving them behind while boring the brighter students who had already "got it".

John Muir School
4431 Mount Herbert Avenue, San Diego, CA  92117
(858) 268-1954
Last modified John Muir School is a Public school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Muir School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top