Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Develops character: Strongly agree

The families are front and center. Good citizenship is a big deal among the student body with Peace Patrol to stop bullying, and recycling programs and good citizen programs.

We've been at this school for 3 years and have had a marvelous experience. It's about the families. Good solid families who care about their kids education pick this school because of the small town feel. Everyone knows everyone and we all look after all the kids. Academics are great with lots of 'extras': music program, dance program, archery, robotics, art, theater, language, all with an international global slant. I highly recommend Muir to anyone looking for a personalized full academic curriculum with a community feel.

Amount of homework: Agree

The amount of homework my son is getting for 4th grade is more than he used to do in the previous years but is precisely what he needed to be challenged academically. Also, this year they are learning to manage and plan their schedule and homework, which is a great skill to develop.

What I love about John Muir School is the small size and the friendly and caring community. I know that in this school my son is growing academically and as a human being through the constant emphasis in understanding of how we are members of a local community connected to a wider world. I really appreciate the global focus of the school.

Today is National Parent Involvement Day, and as a teacher at John Muir, I'd like to say "thank you" to the countless, dedicated parents who selflessly give their time every day! You are truly the heart of the success of our amazing school! Xoxo, Barb Waller :o)

John Muir School ! Amazing principal,teachers and staff !! JMAP parents are the best !

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Building character, compassion, empathy, kindness and an ability to listen - as well as speak - effectively and actively is a core component of John Muir School. It seems to our family that these characteristics are an essential component to the entire school community - staff, parents, everyone - not just the students.

What an amazing school - a true hidden gem. This is a Paideia-certified school with an international focus. So there is project-centric learning, group discussion, an active, engaged, can-do kind of education with an enhanced global worldview. There is no teaching to the test, here. It's about doing, seeking, trying, engaging, teamwork, persistence, encouragement. There are LOADS of special enrichment programs - archery, robotics, art, dance, language, science and technology, gardening. A small school with a brilliant staff, it is also K-12 - LOVE IT - with a warm, open, friendly environment for both kids and parents. I feel like my kids are getting a private education at a public school price. And that's with us coming from a school ranked "higher" and in a fancier 'hood... But I can tell you: John Muir School is a brightly shining diamond we are so grateful to have found. My kids love it; simply put, there is no comparison.

John Muir is a small school, we have one class per grade. Our students come from a diverse background with parents that have a wide variety of interests, talents, and origins. Because our magnet focus is on global citizenship, the school centers it's Paidea seminars on topics that will enrich our students cultural awareness. Parent involvement at Muir is at the heart of our school. We pride ourselves in being welcoming, active, and fostering a sense of community.

There are definitely advantages and disadvantages to a small school with 1 to 1 1/2 classes at each grade level. Yes, the teachers and parents will all know and support your children. But on the flip side, if there is a teacher whose style doesn't sit well with your child, there is no other option to move to. I love that my kids get Mad Science, dance, language, music at 4th, 5th, and 6th grades, Robotics, Peace Patrol, Paideia Seminars, and gardening. Even better, I love that our school has a top ranked archery team at Middle and High school levels. I love that new principal, Laura Bellofatto is an energizer bunny of positive momentum. I love that teachers and staff are approachable and that the principal has an Open Door policy. I love that parents are encouraged to bring ideas and activities in. Areas that we could improve: challenging top performing students to continue to excel, getting more parent involvement, and getting special services for children who need them.

Last modified John Muir School is a Public school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.